Condolences to our New Zealand & Muslim members affected by the Christchurch mosque shootings Read more... ×

The Complicated Issue of Lady Gaga’s Apology

39 posts in this topic

Anticipating

Lady-Gaga.jpg

Lady Gaga released a statement clarifying her position on having worked with R. Kelly on the 2013 song “Do What U Want (With My Body),” which was featured on her third album, Artpop. 

While I’m very glad that Lady Gaga is openly standing behind the victims, is working to pull “Do What U Want (With My Body)” from streaming services, and is putting the blame on herself for allowing this collaboration to happen, we can’t forget that this information surrounding Kelly can’t be totally new to Gaga. When the song was first coming out, there was a lot of controversy not only because of Kelly, but also because the music video was shot by Terry Richardson, who has been accused multiple times of sexual harassment and assault by models.

In an interview with MTV News back in late 2013, Gaga spoke about the development of the song and why she reached out to have Kelly as a songwriter and on guest vocals:

“Well actually I’ve been living in Chicago and spending a lot of time there, and that’s where R. Kelly hails from. I was working on ARTPOP and I wrote [‘Do What U Want’] on tour. It was about my obsession with the way people view me,” she said. ‘I have always been an R. Kelly fan and actually it is like an epic pastime in the Haus of Gaga that we just get f—ed up and play R. Kelly. This is a real R&B song and I [said ‘I] have to call the king of R&B and I need his blessing.’ It was a mutual love. He’s a very, very, very talented man. I’m so excited to be on this album with him.”

If you are living in Chicago and a longtime fan of Kelly, then you’d be aware, even if vaguely, of the accusations against him and the infamous “pee tape” allegations that went on from 2002 until 2008. There is no room for ignorance on the subject, because even if she didn’t know everything, there was enough to know that he was not a good person. Gaga’s relationship with Richardson, whom she has yet to denounce, is also a problem.

I don’t doubt that Gaga’s apology is sincere, although I totally get why people do, since it’s Oscar season. I just don’t believe that Oscar voters care that much about black girls to have that play a factor in her winning an Oscar. What Gaga does now, as a way to continue her advocacy, is important, and maybe donating the money made from the song to groups that help Black women in Chicago would be a good step to show this isn’t just rhetoric.

Full article: https://www.themarysue.com/lady-gaga-apology-rkelly/

Pendulum

I came here expecting a Vice/Dazed article and was ready to drag :rip: 

The Next Day

I wonder why Gaga is the only one involved in this who has to do extra rounds to be believable. If she was a man a Questlove-like tweet would've been enough I bet.

Matthew

Please, she could pledge half of her net worth to the victims and people would say it’s not enough. 

AlexStexaul

there’s people dying , anticipating.

toanythingtaboo

How's that focusing on the actual victims thing going?

americanlife

Our government is shutdown yet people focus on this...

Miles Away

there’s people dying , anticipating.

Gui Blackout

Yikes i thought this would go away with the apology but its getting bigger :doc:

Archetype
20 minutes ago, Anticipating said:

I don’t doubt that Gaga’s apology is sincere, although I totally get why people do, since it’s Oscar season. I just don’t believe that Oscar voters care that much about black girls to have that play a factor in her winning an Oscar. What Gaga does now, as a way to continue her advocacy, is important, and maybe donating the money made from the song to groups that help Black women in Chicago would be a good step to show this isn’t just rhetoric.

I agree, this would be a great way to continue showing her support.  Maybe even have the BTW Foundation partner with a few Chicago-based centers for sexual assault survivors.  :clap3:

22 minutes ago, Anticipating said:

Gaga’s relationship with Richardson, whom she has yet to denounce, is also a problem.

I don't think she'll ever want to speak out on this.  Her and Terry go way back, I'm pretty sure ending that friendship was hard for her.  I understand why others would want her to denounce him, but it's not that simple when you are friends with someone for a long time and think you know them well, until the rumors and then allegations against them come out.  It's like you've been lied to.

TeemoR
1 minute ago, Gui Blackout said:

Yikes i thought this would go away with the apology but its getting bigger :doc:

It's not, you wish.

Darkgalord
2 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

Nah, I saw that article yesterday, the gp has already moved on. Atrl should focus on the victims instead. 

gab00
13 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Please, she could pledge half of her net worth to the victims and people would say it’s not enough. 

indeed. you can't satisfy everyone. 

Remixed

Yesterday's news. We don't care anymore.

Mariya Takeuchi

I'm not even a fan & think this is getting ridiculous. they need to leave her alone and start focusing on his other industry enablers. The media needs to start questioning why he's never been arrested for marrying a minor and why he's been allowed to remain in the industry for so long.

DonnieDarko

The good old OGH that is the OP is ignoring the actual victims and is focusing on Gaga. How unsurprising and disgusting. Get over it, Gaga is winning.

pavi

we can’t forget that this information surrounding Kelly can’t be totally new to Gaga

I don't understand why people keep saying this?? I mean, she basically admits she knew when she said she wanted to create something provocative in her apology? She explained herself???? 

azii

This whole thing is becoming draining I'm over it TpYSC82.gif 

DonnieDarko
3 minutes ago, azii said:

This whole thing is becoming draining I'm over it TpYSC82.gif 

But it's only here and a bit on Twitter that is even being remotely discussed. Oh and maybe on madonnanation too. The rest of the world moved on from this after Gaga apologized. No one cares about it anymore in regards of Gaga's "involvement".

TheSugarVenom

Please shut the f**k up. Where is this energy when it comes to addressing the actual rapists and abusers like XXX, R Kelly, Drake, and just about every other male artist in the industry. Y’all just love hating on women and use the stupidest **** to fuel your motive.