Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Madonna racist interview resurfaces

601 posts in this topic

Yall this is a mess and a half :rip: Her fansite just posted an old interview of hers for Spin Magazine in 1996

Interviewer: You’ve said that a strong, intelligent female is still more frightening than a gangster with a machine gun. Why is that?

Madonna: ...I’ve always in this naive way identified with other minorities because I’m in a minority. You think that somehow unifies you in some philosophical way. But ultimately it doesn’t. Because I’ve found that being a strong female is actually more frightening to the black men that I’ve dated. It took me a really long time to accept that.

Interviewer: Would it be the same if you were a black woman?

Madonna: No

Interviewer: It’s heightened by the fact that you’re a white woman?

Madonna: I – why is that? This is a really touchy subject. You know, I believe that I have never been treated more disrespectfully as a woman than by the black men that I’ve dated. I’ve never actually said that to anybody, but it’s true and I think it’s a cultural thing.
I think black men have just been **** on for so long, that, in a way, black women are maybe more willing to accept rage from a black man, because they see what’s happened to them. So many black men grow up without fathers, without strong male figures, without a sense of romance and seeing a man treat a woman with respect.

Madonna - Spin / January 1996

Interview on here: https://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-interviews/madonna-interview-spin-january-1996/2

LOCK HER UP :lmao: 

some points were made but she's a white :deadbanana2:

she is right but she shouldn't have said it

Lock her up.

She looks good on the cover though. 

It's based on her experience and she isn't forcing her opinion as the truth. Especially given the context of 1996 to call her out as a racist for this is a REACH.

well, first of all she's talking from personal experience, and the part about black youth growing up around violence, absent parents, etc. is a reality (for Latinos too), so it's not necessarily racist. she's just pointing it out and trying to "understand" why her relationships with black men were that way.

LOL Shocking a monster digging up dirt to deflect their idol's lashings

My bitch is not a racist as much as y'all want her to be

But...but....she has black children :biblio:

as the son of a black man who almost beat my mother to death, points were made

she shouldn't have said it though because its not really her place. there are countless black women who will tell you the same

2 minutes ago, LetsParty said:

:rip: Her fansite just posted 

This has been posted for ages. Who are you going to fool? :rip:

it's the same iconic interview where she was asked about mariah,

Liddos obsession with M old interviews :rip: sorry it's not going to happen what you're trying to do. There's nothing racist about that.

Just now, Extinctkid said:

that grew up with no father figures. :deadbanana4: oh my. 

Ooooops. What do MADonna fans have to say about this?:foxaylove2:

Yeah and that black man left her because she was white, and it was 'bad look for him' but her dating him 'was an honor' or something. She had every right to diss racist  2Pac.

welp

byL2JM8.gif

10 minutes ago, Extinctkid said:

She does, four actually :cm: 

I mean, she's not wrong :rip: probably should have refrained from saying it though, as a privileged white woman

Honestly, these are issues many black women discuss all the time. Nonetheless, her comments are, on the whole, antiquated and uneducated. 

Black women aren’t just ‘willing to accept it’. That is a generalised and ignorant statement. Similarly, it’s also ridiculous to speak about black men as if they’re all alike and a monolith. There are many great black fathers and husbands who admire strong, independent women. Nevertheless, we also have to take into account the times in which this interview was conducted. I’m suspecting it’s probably from the 1980’s or the early 1990’s. 

Most pertinently, her comments lacked any explication of the nuance behind why so many black men grow up without fathers, and how that is a derivative of the oppression and unjust mass incarceration of black men, going back to before the emancipation proclamation. 

Do I think Madonna’s a racist? No.

Do I think she’s purposefully provocative with her words? Yes.

Do I think she’s misinformed? Yes. 

why would anyone think silence is the way to deal with domestic violence?

:rip:

she didn't lie but she shouldn't have said that.

10 minutes ago, Chanel4 said:

that grew up with no father figures. :deadbanana4: oh my. 

mess but tbh Madonna is a better father figure than like 99% of the men she could have brought (and did bring) into their lives so :rip: 

Mess, I've never seen this before :biblio: 

Disgusting comments tbh

Well it's a well known fact that she's always been a racist :shakeno:

6 minutes ago, dabunique said:

LOL Shocking a monster digging up dirt to deflect their idol's lashings

My bitch is not a racist as much as y'all want her to be

Doesn't she call her black children the N word, forces them to massage her feet and posts that on Instagram, photoshops chains on Mandela and MLK? :huh: