Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

35 posts in this topic

Marianah Adkins

Who among our beloved pop girls and music stars have the best marketing machinery and image branding? What era was it best manifested? How did it come about? Where they for the best in the long run? I have my own thoughts about this, but I want to know your thoughts :

Erreur2 La Nature

Beyoncé by lightyears since her ST album

Also, Taymor Swift

gayzayn

Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry pre-witness, Lady Gaga for the Fame Monster, and Miley Cyrus for Bangerz

Brando

Adele. From a regular, foul mouth, native London girl to an adult-contemporary, respect-commanding, generation-transcending diva. 

americanlife

Britney in her peak. Every girl wanted to be like her.

Dingdong123

Mess, Taylor Swift doesnt have the best marketing. She’s a genius in handling her brand but her marketing isn’t top notch.

During her peak era 1989, she didn’t have a single performance on tv of her singles last 2015. That’s not best marketing imo.

I’d say Katy Perry. That girl’s team knows how to pull a true marketing muscle. See: Teenage Dream

heck even her flop singles and flop era had considerable promo.

FloridaKilos
9 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Mess, Taylor Swift doesnt have the best marketing. She’s a genius in handling her brand but her marketing isn’t top notch.

During her peak era 1989, she didn’t have a single performance on tv of her singles last 2015. That’s not best marketing imo.

I’d say Katy Perry. That girl’s team knows how to pull a true marketing muscle. See: Teenage Dream

heck even her flop singles and flop era had considerable promo.

Blank Space - AMAs

Bad Blood premiered during the BMAs

How is that not good marketing?

P!nk Forever

P!nk of course.

Nothing about her ever seems forced. She has control over everything, even when it came to her Greatest Hits, making it an era on its own.:worship2:

Dingdong123
5 minutes ago, FloridaKilos said:

Blank Space - AMAs

Bad Blood premiered during the BMAs

How is that not good marketing?

Mess I said no televised performance LAST 2015. Blank Space at AMAs was 2014. Bad Blood was NOT PERFORMED at BBMAs, only a video debut.

Bad Blood was only performed for like 10 seconds at VMAs and that’s not what I’d call good marketing.

FloridaKilos
7 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Mess I said no televised performance LAST 2015. Blank Space at AMAs was 2014. Bad Blood was NOT PERFORMED at BBMAs, only a video debut.

Bad Blood was only performed for like 10 seconds at VMAs and that’s not what I’d call good marketing.

The music video was premiered with an ensemble cast and a remix with Kendrick and watched by millions of people. She also won several awards that night. She didn't have to perform. If that ISN'T good marketing what is?

Dingdong123
1 minute ago, FloridaKilos said:

The music video was premiered with an ensemble cast and a remix with Kendrick and watched by millions of people. She also won several awards that night. She didn't have to perform. If that ISN'T good marketing what is?

Katy Perry’s Firework promo is

Late Show with David Letterman

The X Factor UK

American Music Awards

MTV Europe Music Awards

Paul O’ Grady Live

BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards

Willkommen bei Mario Barth (Germany)

Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

The Ellen DeGeneres Show

VH1 Divas

FloridaKilos
6 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Katy Perry’s Firework promo is

Late Show with David Letterman

The X Factor UK

American Music Awards

MTV Europe Music Awards

Paul O’ Grady Live

BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards

Willkommen bei Mario Barth (Germany)

Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

The Ellen DeGeneres Show

VH1 Divas

1989 was just as successful, album and singles, and she made less stops for individual releases. Plus, Tay hit most of these stops in 2014/15. 

erianoillim

Beyonce and Taylor Swift

Cain

Ugh I miss when Rih did this from GGGB to LOUD. :'(

IamCY

Teenage Dream Era trumps everyone else's efforts over the years tbh 

Marianah Adkins

I'm agreeing with most of the responses here, especially the ones about Taylor's 1989, Adele, Katy's TD and Beyonce's ST. They clearly defined what it means to have a well promoted and branded era or career.

Imo, if I were to share my thoughts, these are my top five

1. Madonna- True Blue

- I'm surprised that no one mentioned this, or no one mentioned her, because she is the best pop marketer of all time. A true chameleon- she's the most adaptable among everyone. You want sizzling passion from R&B? Bedtime Stories. Indie EDM? Ray of Light. A jam in the midst of the urban hegemony? COAFD. She also takes risks and knows her brand well, so every move she makes, no matter how risky and unusual it is, will always work bec of this. Now you ask, why True Blue? Aside from the fact that it cemented her as a premier global pop act, in terms of marketing, it was her defining moment. Madonna the troll, the one who provokes for artistic cred (or plain attention) was born here. Madonna the musician was honed here. Madonna the chameleon was created here. She couldve been a flash in the pan like Cyndi after Like A Virgin, but she decided to switch things up and amp up her music and image. And it ended up being the most impactful decision she/ a female musician has done.

2. Adele- 21

- 30 million sales, 6 grammies, worldwide hits and omnipresence. That was 21. Few years later, she was breaking sales, streaming and radio records from the get go, and swept the award season once again. Success is pretty much the defining  word to describe her career. How did she get there? Its all about simplicity and taking things slow for this woman. Basically the opposite of modern pop marketing (which is marketing in itself lol). She's never about shoving it right away in your face, its all about the slow burning passion that becomes timeless. And she has adapted in every aspect of her career- radio promotion, imagery, aesthetic. 

3. Taylor Swift- 1989

- Tay has the advantage of being America's premier sweetheart and critical darling at the same time, which is why when she unleashed 1989, its success was predictable. 3 chart toppers, 5 top 10s and grammies including AOTY, its success was no joke. What made it easy for Tay to crossover to international pop audiences was similar to the one she did for Fearless to crossover the US pop scene. If it is not about the relatable songs, it is the aesthetic, the All American fantasy which made her an icon for teenage girls (and gays) everywhere. Truly a masterclass in pop marketing.

4. Katy Perry- TD

- The most obv one (6 #1 hits, global smashes, radio darling) and I obviously ranked it above self titled because of this fact. No shade but the album was basically the singles and the fillers collection, which is why it is impressive that it reached this milestone. A huge part of that was Katy's impeccable branding and marketing, which pushed her to becoming America's candy Betty Boop, a sexy yet innocent image which is perfect for accessibility, but absolutely terrible for longevity. Still, it defined Katy's legacy and showed us how serving candy and sweet will always leave us wanting for more.

5. Beyonce- ST

- The digital drop pretty much defines this one. It changed the game in the way we release and the way we perceive our stars, and paved the way for Beyonce's goddess era. I ranked it only at 5 though because the marketing was frontloaded. After the digital drop, the album pretty much dried up its hype, which was disappointing since it had potential. Unfortunately, while the move worked well for her branding, I'm afraid that it wont be the best long term move for her career as seen with her faltering sales. Good for her that the music was gold.

Any negative reaction? Thoughts? Let's discuss.

DancingShoes

Beyoncé and Adele with Taylor closely behind.

Messiah St. West

Beyonce and Rihanna.

The Second Coming

Beyoncé wins this one. 

Marianah Adkins
41 minutes ago, Dark XXX said:

Beyonce and Rihanna.

I've been seeing a lot of Beyonce in the responses. She has one of the best brands and marketing machinery yes but I dont think she's any better than Adele and Taylor who sell better than her. Care to explain?

Forgot about Rih. I dont know what era in particular did it manifest but her branding is transcendent. The bad girl who appeals to the cool kids, who the losers secretly aspires to emulate, who the traditionalists secretly attracted to.