Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

Bigger: Friends or Game of Thrones?

148 posts in this topic

Destiny

So much DELUSION in one thread :bibliahh: 

GAME OF THRONES is BIGGER and I'm sure better than Friends ever was, and it isn't over yet! :ahh: 

Game of Thrones is like the most GLOBAL show of all time in like... forever! No one knows what Friends is in my country an yet Game of Thrones is probably the biggest non- locally produced television show. :cm: 

SCREAMING at people schizophrenically saying Peabody and 47-time Emmy Award winning Game of Thrones will be forgotten when it's always the most pirated and downloaded show in the world even on years when it's not on the air. :deadbanana2:

It was literally mentioned on last night's episode of This Is Us, the biggest and most acclaimed Network Drama television show in America :cm: 

It has not one, not two, not three but FOUR planned prequels, with the first one beginning immedietly after the show ends. The world of Ice and Fire will NEVER be forgotten! 

And screaming at the one delusional member claiming the Greatest show in the world has no iconic character when Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow are more iconic that some of your faves careers multiplied by a thousand :ahh: 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Starstruck. said:

have any star from GOT made it big? all of them are legit irrelevant and weren’t/aren’t as famous as the friends cas

Richard Madden just won a Golden Globe 2 weeks ago :toofunny3: and Peter Dinkage, Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke are extremely famous for you to say this nonsense :deadbanana4:

On 1/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Starstruck. said:

literally zero iconic moments and just forgettable memes

It's the most iconic show of the past quarter century with hundreds of iconic scenes, characters and episodes. :cm:

YoYo
18 minutes ago, Destiny said:

It was literally mentioned on last night's episode of This Is Us, the biggest and most acclaimed Network Drama television show in America :cm: 

At this being some sort of metric :skull:

zoldyck

GOT is known by literally everyone in my university, even those who don't watch it, have heard about it.

Friends is known by very small percentage, but regardless very impressive since it have been out for decades, and my country is not into western series so friends being known at all is mind blowing

I will give my vote to friends, longivity is kind of insane. I don't see got lasting that long even though it peak here is huge

Dingdong123
8 hours ago, crystal489 said:

She says "I want her to know it was me".

Other iconic lines include:

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." - Cersei 

"The things I do for love." -Jaime Lannister

"Hold the door!" -Hodor

"There's no cure for being a c*nt." -Bronn

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder." -Littlefinger

A mess. The only iconic lines in GoT are “You know nothing” and “Winter is coming”

Whereas the ENTIRE intro song of Friends is iconic alone.

Call me when a global pop superstar (like Taylor Swift) actually sings a song from GoT on tour just like how Smelly Cat was.

Tell me when Emilia Clarke (I love her) manages to have box office hits like how Jennifer Aniston did after Friends

jomarr

Friends is still the most binged show worldwide. I haven't seen a single episode of Game of Thrones however it feels like I'm the only one in the office not watching it.

But since Friends, a show that debuted in 1994, is still relevant as **** in 2019. Definitely that.

Shelter
48 minutes ago, Destiny said:

So much DELUSION in one thread :bibliahh: 

GAME OF THRONES is BIGGER and I'm sure better than Friends ever was, and it isn't over yet! :ahh: 

Game of Thrones is like the most GLOBAL show of all time in like... forever! No one knows what Friends is in my country an yet Game of Thrones is probably the biggest non- locally produced television show. :cm: 

SCREAMING at people schizophrenically saying Peabody and 47-time Emmy Award winning Game of Thrones will be forgotten when it's always the most pirated and downloaded show in the world even on years when it's not on the air. :deadbanana2:

It has not one, not two, not three but FOUR planned prequels, with the first one beginning immedietly after the show ends. The world of Ice and Fire will NEVER be forgotten! 

And screaming at the one delusional member claiming the Greatest show in the world has no iconic character when Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow are more iconic that some of your faves careers multiplied by a thousand :ahh: 

Richard Madden just won a Golden Globe 2 weeks ago :toofunny3: and Peter Dinkage, Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke are extremely famous for you to say this nonsense :deadbanana4:

It's the most iconic show of the past quarter century with hundreds of iconic scenes, characters and episodes. :cm:

The delusion is coming from you though. Game Of Thrones isn't over so of course people are still talking about it, but it won't have the longevity of Friends. The spin offs don't really count since it's not the same characters. 

TYE
31 minutes ago, Shelter said:

The delusion is coming from you though. Game Of Thrones isn't over so of course people are still talking about it, but it won't have the longevity of Friends. The spin offs don't really count since it's not the same characters. 

How do they not count? Go into any thread about Harry Potter and people will bring up the books, the play and pretty much anything else in universe, Why wouldn't we apply that to GOT. Obviously Friends is just the show, GOT is not, so to undercut GOT just because Friends is so one dimensional isn't fair. 

OT: Friends now but when all is said and done the GOT universe will be up there with Star wars, Harry Potter and LOTR and other timeless saga's but the real kii is that GOT will have achieved this as a tv show not a film. Friends can't and hasn't :mandown:

GOT also snatched that acclaim. Friends got 2 Emmy wins GOT HAS 47 :foxaylove2: They have never declined in viewership and still haven't peaked unlike Friends which did in Season 2

Shelter
24 minutes ago, TYE said:

How do they not count? Go into any thread about Harry Potter and people will bring up the books, the play and pretty much anything else in universe, Why wouldn't we apply that to GOT. Obviously Friends is just the show, GOT is not, so to undercut GOT just because Friends is so one dimensional isn't fair. 

OT: Friends now but when all is said and done the GOT universe will be up there with Star wars, Harry Potter and LOTR and other timeless saga's but the real kii is that GOT will have achieved this as a tv show not a film. Friends can't and hasn't :mandown:

GOT also snatched that acclaim. Friends got 2 Emmy wins GOT HAS 47 :foxaylove2: They have never declined in viewership and still haven't peaked unlike Friends which did in Season 2

But isn't that all the same characters? GOT can't stand on It's own that it needs 5 new spin offs to make it bigger. 

I love GOT but It's just not bigger or as iconic as Friends imo. 

Destiny
6 hours ago, YoYo said:

At this being some sort of metric :skull:

9 million  people watched the episode so... why not? :cm:

6 hours ago, Dingdong123 said:

A mess. The only iconic lines in GoT are “You know nothing” and “Winter is coming”

Whereas the ENTIRE intro song of Friends is iconic alone.

Call me when a global pop superstar (like Taylor Swift) actually sings a song from GoT on tour just like how Smelly Cat was.

Tell me when Emilia Clarke (I love her) manages to have box office hits like how Jennifer Aniston did after Friends

"Dracarys" alone is more iconic than anything anyone has ever said on "Friends" :lmao:

The Emmy winning opening credits/ main title design and the song on Game of Thrones are very iconic as well. The music from the show sells well, the composer, Ramin Djawadi, has won major awards including an Emmy and goes on sold out arena tours playing the music from Game of Thrones. :cm:

4 hours ago, Shelter said:

But isn't that all the same characters? GOT can't stand on It's own that it needs 5 new spin offs to make it bigger. 

I love GOT but It's just not bigger or as iconic as Friends imo. 

It doesn't need any spin offs to make it bigger. It's already bigger :cm:

Wicked

This really isn't a competition, not sure why y'all are acting like it is.

Friends simply appeals to a larger demographic, and the fact this is a conversation tilts it even more in Friends favor. GoT should be getting compared to Big Bang Theory or The Walking Dead; not a show that stopped airing over 15 years ago and just got a $100M deal for the rights to stream it. It's shown more and just... Bigger. Even trying to compare the combination of HBO viewership with piracy numbers, it doesn't match up and there's more truly iconic characters/music from Friends. How is this even a thread :rip: Rachel's hair alone is kind of a stomp.

And I'm a notorious Friends hater on this site. It's a trash show with lowest common denominator humor that I already mentioned. 

pieuxvu

Friends by far.

I love GoT so much but I only watched it once ( so far) . I watched Friends at least 10 times already.

Save-Me-Oprah

Friends. Game of Thrones is a fad.

SelenaTheWinner
Just now, Save-Me-Oprah said:

It will be forgotten in a few... literally. 

Madonno
3 hours ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

1 hour ago, SelenaTheWinner said:

It will be forgotten in a few... literally. 

How when the books has been increasing a lot in the last 15 years?

I´ll go with Game of Thrones since its a well know franchise.

Is not just the TV Show, but also the books. Song of Fire and Ice are selling like a hot bread and they will surpass The Lord of The Ring books soon as the best selling fantasy franchise of all time. I mean, 45 million of copies sold in USA and another 90 million copies sold in the rest of the world at 2014. :rip:

Not to mention the franchise will be increased a lot with the last two books and the upcoming new serie.

Friends is done, GoT is just starting.... 

Erreur2 La Nature

I barely know anything about GoT and don’t know people who watched it. Friends is known by everyone

sex

friends is way more accessible and appeals to a much wider demographic

it's obviously much bigger

dussymob
12 hours ago, pieuxvu said:

Friends by far.

I love GoT so much but I only watched it once ( so far) . I watched Friends at least 10 times already.

So you rewatched an entire series of 10 years 10 times? 

There's 236 episodes which means you spent 118 hours watching this...I find that hard to believe.