Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Bigger: Friends or Game of Thrones?

160 posts in this topic

Friends. 

Love GoT but its not even close.

For better or worse, people around the world learn english from that sitcom across generations

Unfair comparison tho. 

I don't really know how you could say GOT :rip: Friends has sooo many years on it. And I'm not a fan of either shows

Friends is just insanely huge here in Asia, especially in India, China, South Korea and South East Asia as a whole. It's very accessible and a lot of people watch it to improve on their English.

18 hours ago, Brando said:

Friends, but for many reasons with which GoT can't compete. 

Friends were universally available on popular channels, peak times, and to all audiences, because it was kids friendly.

GoT is only available on select non-free channels and only to mature audiences due to highly graphical content.  

This. It's simple, Friends reaches a WAY bigger demographic because it's like one of the most easily digestible shows ever made. It was literally lowest common denominator television and it was show everywhere for free.

Friends, obviously.

To think that it’s a very simple show compared to the extravagant sets lf GoT, and it still stands the test of time. It’s the classic of all the classic tv shows.

GoT is amazing but it has no agenda side by side with Friends, it just lacks.

It had a bigger peak though, arguably.

Game of Thrones, is a whole other world that is not meant for everybody. Its a story that is supposed to be continuous, gripping, complete, strategic, over not only the 10 episodes of the season but through 8 seasons. There are basically no individual storylines independent of each other throughout the series. Some might argue to that. Even a single bad episode ruins the entire show, that shows their freedom level. There have been some bad ones but GOT also has a knack of making up for it with its brilliant writing. Brilliant is an understatement. When the show is counted among the best of all time, its speaks volume for it. But without absolutely any doubt, GOT has the best production value out of any show in history of TV. Its a spectacle, no one has ever seen in any other show (if any doubt, watch season 6 episode 9). Plus an enormous cast that has to be threaded into just 10 episodes to make their stories moving is almost impossible, so some seasons like season 5 might be slow to people’s liking but that is the season where the storylines cross over each other and the story arc changes from the present game to past and future. David, Dan and GRRM himself, are some of the best writers in television and with support of good production budget and talented directors and cast, it makes for an epic show. And if you see some of the episode breakup videos on youtube, like ALT SHIFT X or New Rockstars, you will find out what you missed while watching the episodes and believe me 100%, it makes me respect the writing and directing even more, more so than any other show. GOT is a  massive cast, huge production, good direction and simply beyond brilliant writing, make it everything that is good about it.

Friends. It's more accessible and more people like uncomplicated sitcoms

GOT has a more dedicated fanbase though. people who love GOT are more obsessed with it than anyone is with Friends

Friends by far :rip:

GOT is big but anyone who thinks it's bigger than Friends is delusional

GOT is phenomenal but Friends is the most ridiclously popular show in existance after Seinfeld.

Its Friends by default, just because it was broadcasted on TV as opposed to GoT's limited HBO release, and also Friends lasted longer so it has longevity. But if we see peak, GoT's peak is waaaay bigger and the pop culture impact is also bigger.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:35 AM, AlphaOmega said:

GOT is phenomenal but Friends is the most ridiclously popular show in existance after Seinfeld.

Seinfeld is local :deadbanana2: Friends is bigger WW

On 1/13/2019 at 4:35 PM, AlphaOmega said:

Friends on a worldwide scale is much bigger than Seinfield

Game of Fad will not even be remember in 10 years. Queen Friends stay unbothered

45 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Seinfeld is local :deadbanana2: Friends is bigger WW

40 minutes ago, Kkamjong said:

Friends on a worldwide scale is much bigger than Seinfield

my bad. With the clout it has in the States I thought it was a global hit as well :deadbanana4:

Friends.

Rachel's hair >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I love GoT but Friends is legendary and more iconic.

I love GoT but Friends is legendary and more iconic.

It’s a rather pointless comparison. GoT is a cultural phenomenon creating a world that 100s of millions of people are invested in but Friends is a show that has stood the test of time. Friends has the advantage of being a sitcom giving it more replay value since you can just switch on a random episode of Friends but with GoT, you would have to rewatch the show as a whole.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, ZachM said:

"Winter is Coming" and "Tell whoever it was me" (I can't remember what she says because I don't watch it) are the only things I can remember people saying from GoT.

She says "I want her to know it was me".

Other iconic lines include:

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." - Cersei 

"The things I do for love." -Jaime Lannister

"Hold the door!" -Hodor

"There's no cure for being a c*nt." -Bronn

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder." -Littlefinger

Friends >>>>>>>>

We'll see if a streaming site will pay 100 million dollars in twenty years to keep GoT

On 1/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, Almighty Gaga said:

Friends by far. It's still relevant 25 years later. GoT gets forgotten after the end of each season and people just remember it when a new one is starting.

This is a tragic ass lie. 

Friends has had much more longevity and overall cultural impact so that.

Cryptique

8 hours ago, crystal489 said:

She says "I want her to know it was me".

Other iconic lines include:

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." - Cersei 

"The things I do for love." -Jaime Lannister

"Hold the door!" -Hodor

"There's no cure for being a c*nt." -Bronn

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder." -Littlefinger

Lol thank you, I couldn't remember for the life of me. Tbh I never see these other quotes :\