Taylor: Most consumed female artist in the US in 2018

TtaraHae

Just now, Communion said:

Not the argument essentially being “it doesn’t matter that Ariana & Drake are popular, they’re only popular because they’re playlisted, they’re not playlisted cause they’re popular. Oh! And Spotify is trying to destroy Taylor!!”

It’s Alex Jones level of dystopian at this point. The way y’all can’t imagine r&b music simply being naturally popular (despite Taylor trying to imitate it on Reputation). But yes. Despite getting fewer streams, sweet innocent wholesome Taylor overcame all those ungodly rappers and r&b-pop singers and Spotify’s evil plan to undermine her and that’s why any figures that have her not #1 on streaming aren’t credible! Show those Swift haters!

:skull:

The dramatic in this post. Calm down and please proceed your calculation since you don't believe our data. We are waiting :laugh:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• Champion Cynthia

• Ash12345

• Cloröx

4 hours ago, Communion said:

Not the argument essentially being “it doesn’t matter that Ariana & Drake are popular, they’re only popular because they’re playlisted, they’re not playlisted cause they’re popular. Oh! And Spotify is trying to destroy Taylor!!”

It’s Alex Jones level of dystopian at this point. The way y’all can’t imagine r&b music simply being naturally popular (despite Taylor trying to imitate it on Reputation). But yes. Despite getting fewer streams, sweet innocent wholesome Taylor overcame all those ungodly rappers and r&b-pop singers and Spotify’s evil plan to undermine her and that’s why any figures that have her not #1 on streaming aren’t credible! Show those Swift haters!

:skull:

Taylor was more consumed than Ariana in 2018 and no amount of paragraphs will change that, FUME.

OT: Taylor being the most consumed female 12 years into her career, some girls don’t even have that at the supposed peak of their career :jonny5:

6 hours ago, Communion said:

All this is showing me is that Taylor isn’t strong enough on Spotify to land on playlists. 

Maybe you are all right and her catalog streams are underperforming. :skull:

Playlist reach, monthly streams and ratio of streams to reach

Sweetener: 85m reach, 156m streams (1.88) - 143 days old

Dangerous Woman: 49m reach, 66m streams (1.35) - 962 days old

1989: 34m reach, 43m streams (1.26) - 1533 days old

My Everything: 74m reach, 54m streams (0.73) - 1596 days old

Yours Truly: 17m reach, est. 14m streams (0.82) - 1952 days old

Red: 23m reach, est. 26m streams (1.13) - 2268 days old

You can see that the ratio is higher for newer albums, as there is more organic interest for those while older albums are more dependent on playlist support. However, the ratio is better for Taylor's albums when you consider how old the albums are, showing that a higher % of Taylor's streams come from organic support rather than playlist support.

If My Everything is really getting as much playlist reach as Reputation, 1989 and Speak Now combined because Ariana is so much stronger on Spotify, why is it getting less than half the combined streams of those 3 albums. Why is Speak Now getting the same amount of streams as Yours Truly when Ariana is getting so much attention on her from having new music out and when Yours Truly is 3 years younger and has 40% more playlist reach?

It's not even so much a conspiracy of Ariana getting payola'd and Taylor getting blacklisted, a lot of it is just the natural consequence of having her back-catalogue unavailable for streaming for so long and having less time to build up playlist support.

7 hours ago, Communion said:

Where did anyone claim Ariana had strong consumption? We’re wondering why you guys can’t be happy with Taylor being so consumed that you have to make excuses for her streaming shortcomings by making up conspiracies and lies about Ariana. :skull:

Please answer my question - is it ridiculous to expect reputation to still be streamed three months in?

Sis, haven't the views for your fave's latest music video fallen by 94% from its biggest day and 87% from its first week in barely more than a month?

8 hours ago, Communion said:

Ariana’s already bigger on Spotify. Why wouldn’t Spotify promote the biggest female artist on its platform? TUN shattered all of Taylor’s records without any playlist support. Why wouldn’t Spotify want to then playlist her as much as possible?

Y’all backing yourselves into a corner and having to use an argument that boils down to chicken or the egg. :skull:

TUN 

• Spotify Playlists Total Reach: 137,822,722

Taylor Swift's 6 albums combined had a playlist reach of 128,782,881 when I checked a couple weeks ago.

:michael:

42 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

TUN 

Taylor Swift's 6 albums combined had a playlist reach of 128,782,881 when I checked a couple weeks ago.

You realize all of your data changes daily and why trying to track data you take from SpotOnTrack is silly? TUN has that reach NOW. How much reach did it have its first week out? The exact same? Or, like I said, all the data changes daily? :skull:

21 minutes ago, Communion said:

You realize all of your data changes daily and why trying to track data you take from SpotOnTrack is silly? TUN has that reach NOW. How much reach did it have its first week out? The exact same? Or, like I said, all the data changes daily? :skull:

Yes, I do realize the playlists change, although for back-catalogue they are quite stable.

In the case of TUN, it had 112,462,677 playlist reach on the day that its streams peaked, compared to a peak of 98,204,929 playlist reach for Look What You Made Me Do.

13 hours ago, Communion said:

Did it suddenly go away in 2018? :skull:

Taylor has 6 albums worth of material - much of it all newer to streaming than most of Ariana's - and yet Ariana got more streams. This is... somehow a drag to Ariana?

The fact that it's newer to streaming isn't an advantage, it means it's had less time to acquire playlist placements. Newness is mostly just an advantage if the actual music is new, which her back-catalogue is not. Speaking of which Ariana has released 3 albums + 2 songs from a 4th album in the same time that Taylor released 2 albums.

Yes, there was some hype and relatively high rate of streaming for Taylor's back-catalogue when it hit Spotify, but that hype already wore off by 2018, when her back-catalogue's streams have been stable.

Edited by Ash12345

26 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Yes, I do realize the playlists change, although for back-catalogue they are quite stable.

In the case of TUN, it had 112,462,677 playlist reach on the day that its streams peaked, compared to a peak of 98,204,929 playlist reach for Look What You Made Me Do.

And how much did each playlist grow in that year span versus the growth of number of users on Spotify in general, or did you not even realize playlists grow in number of followers as well and how your whole little data set becomes more and more nonsensical? 

2 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

You can see that the ratio is higher for newer albums, as there is more organic interest for those while older albums are more dependent on playlist support. However, the ratio is better for Taylor's albums when you consider how old the albums are, showing that a higher % of Taylor's streams come from organic support rather than playlist support.

If My Everything is really getting as much playlist reach as Reputation, 1989 and Speak Now combined because Ariana is so much stronger on Spotify, why is it getting less than half the combined streams of those 3 albums. Why is Speak Now getting the same amount of streams as Yours Truly when Ariana is getting so much attention on her from having new music out and when Yours Truly is 3 years younger and has 40% more playlist reach?

It's not even so much a conspiracy of Ariana getting payola'd and Taylor getting blacklisted, a lot of it is just the natural consequence of having her back-catalogue unavailable for streaming for so long and having less time to build up playlist support.

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

TUN 

35 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Oh... wow. The payola jumped OUT on this one. Ariana sis...

Anyways, congrats Taylor :clap3:

Such a legend.

2 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

OMG

OT: Only the biggest pop girl of 10s :clap3:

Ahh :ahh: a certain user getting completely stomped on in here

36 minutes ago, Communion said:

And how much did each playlist grow in that year span versus the growth of number of users on Spotify in general, or did you not even realize playlists grow in number of followers as well and how your whole little data set becomes more and more nonsensical? 

Omg the way you keep changing the goalposts because you keep getting STOMPED on, keep it up I live

OT: LEGEND

7 minutes ago, ChampionCynthia said:

Omg the way you keep changing the goalposts because you keep getting STOMPED on, keep it up I live

OT: LEGEND

Sis, I'm the only non Taylor stan to post in this thread. You're all congratulating yourselves for avoiding and dodging the question and then claim "STOMPED!" when the newest goal post you put up gets torn down. 

Are you actually suggesting Taylor being put on the #1 playlist in 2017 and Ariana being put on the #1 playlist in 2018 is somehow """""more payola"""" when it's Ariana because the #1 playlist......gained followers? :rip:

Edited by Communion

5 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sis, I'm the only non Taylor stan to post in this thread. You're all congratulating yourselves for avoiding and dodging the question and then claim "STOMPED!" when the newest goal post you put up gets torn down. 

Are you actually suggesting Taylor being put on the #1 playlist in 2017 and Ariana being put on the #1 playlist in 2018 is somehow """""more payola"""" when it's Ariana because the #1 playlist......gained followers? :rip:

Who is saying it’s payola, why are you always so paranoid and accusatory? 

X had more streams bc of more playlist placement, it’s not that difficult to understand. How much the playlist grew or whatever is not relevant, no one is accusing Ariana of anything, people are giving rational explanations. The reason you’re the only Ariana stan in here is bc you foam at the mouth whenever Taylor comes up. 

1 hour ago, Communion said:

You said TUN broke Taylor's record without playlist support, and I showed that it had generous playlist support.

Does the fact that Spotify's userbase is growing and Spotify playlists are growing accordingly, and the fact that it's easier to reach x amount of streams as a result somehow invalidate the fact that TUN had playlist support when it broke records, contrary to what you said?

12 hours ago, Communion said:

The entire onus of streaming is that these streams don’t magically end at the end of a Billboard calendar year. :skull:

The way Ariana got y’all messing with time and space to justify being beat. “An album released near the end of 2017 can’t keep getting new streams into 2018!!!!”.

Reputatipn got 12 months worth of streams in 2018 as a huge new release. Ariana got three months out of a new album. Even with the gags and tricks of finally releasing her songs to Spotify, Ariana still pulled out ahead despite less music for people to even stream. 

Stay mad you can’t use the “her discography is missing from streaming services” excuse anymore. 

The way streaming works is that a lot of an album's numbers come before the album is even released from the lead singles, promo singles, etc, and then pulling big numbers in the first month or two. You can see this with Drake, huge numbers for God's Plan and Nice For What, also quite big (but slightly smaller) numbers for In My Feelings and the big album bomb, and then the other singles like Nonstop, Don't Matter To Me and Mob Ties had much weaker numbers.

Reputation only got about 50% more streams in 2018 than 2017, despite only being fully available on Spotify for one month in 2017, because the streams were much higher on the 1st month than on the 13th, and because it still got a lot of streams from the lead/promo singles that were available for longer.

Sweetener got around 1.63 billion streams in 2018, and is already down to 156 million streams per month after just 3 months of availability according to whatyouwant_'s stats, so it will almost certainly log fewer streams in 2019 than in 2018. Sweetener being released more recently does not put Ariana at nearly as big of a disadvantage as you seem to think.

58 minutes ago, ChampionCynthia said:

Who is saying it’s payola, why are you always so paranoid and accusatory? 

X had more streams bc of more playlist placement, it’s not that difficult to understand. How much the playlist grew or whatever is not relevant, no one is accusing Ariana of anything, people are giving rational explanations. The reason you’re the only Ariana stan in here is bc you foam at the mouth whenever Taylor comes up. 

Sis, read the thread. :skull:

You can't compare one song to another and claim more reach means more support and completely ignore how the playlists that overlap grew. If Look and TUN were on an identical list of playlists at different points in time, it would mean they had equal support, regardless of if those playlists grew over time. 

21 minutes ago, Communion said:

Sis, read the thread. :skull:

You can't compare one song to another and claim more reach means more support and completely ignore how the playlists that overlap grew. If Look and TUN were on an identical list of playlists at different points in time, it would mean they had equal support, regardless of if those playlists grew over time. 

I'm not talking about how friendly Spotify was to TUN vs Look. It's not about payola. It's about how much each song benefited from the playlisting, and TUN benefited a bit more, so it's not that surprising that it broke Taylor's record.

All in all, I would say their draw among Spotify audiences is quite comparable, but Taylor has lower streams because she prioritized album sales over streaming, and because the albums that connected the most with the GP (Fearless, Red and 1989) were not available on Spotify when they were released (1989) or when Spotify was much smaller (Fearless/Red). Meanwhile, Ariana's 3 albums that connected the most with the GP were all available on Spotify and released when Spotify was big.

Ariana will probably out-stream Taylor in 2019, unless AG5 is a complete disaster and TS7 is a magnum opus and released earlier than usual, but if AG5 is of comparable quality to the average Ariana Grande album and receives average amount of promotion for her standards, and TS7 is of comparable quality to the average Taylor Swift album with average promotion, they'll probably perform similarly on Spotify (although TS7 will have better pure sales, probably bigger tour and maybe better radio).

Edited by Ash12345

12 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

I'm not talking about how friendly Spotify was to TUN vs Look. It's not about payola. It's about how much each song benefited from the playlisting, and TUN benefited a bit more, so it's not that surprising that it broke Taylor's record.

And you're being told that your data you use to deduce TUN "benefitted more" makes no sense when it ignores that playlist followers grow. 

Edited by Communion

4 minutes ago, Communion said:

And you're being told that your data you use to deduce TUN "benefitted more" makes no sense when it ignores that playlist followers grow. 

But I'm not saying TUN benefited from more favorable treatment, I'm saying that the growing power of big playlists and growth of Spotify's user base were factors that TUN benefited from to break Look's record. And a year from now, that trend will probably have continued allowing another big pop girl single to break TUN's record.

(and you still haven't responded to the point where you originally said TUN beat Look's records with no playlist support when it had over 110 million playlist support)

3 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

(and you still haven't responded to the point where you originally said TUN beat Look's records with no playlist support when it had over 110 million playlist support)

Don't expect @Communion to reply to that, he likes to ignore things that prove him wrong

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.