Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

Demi Calls Out Instagram Over Fat-Shaming Ad

108 posts in this topic

Fender
Posted (edited)

When Demi Lovato sees something, she says something!

While browsing through her Instagram feed, the Grammy winner came across a sponsored "Game of Sultans" post that had one female animated character described as "pretty" while another character as "obese."

Instead of just scrolling onto the next post, Demi decided to take a stand and speak out against the content.

"Why is this fat shaming bulls--t on my feed? So many things wrong with this ad," she proclaimed on Instagram Stories. "1. You can be 'pretty' at any weight."

Demi continued, "This is absolutely harmful to anyone who is easily influenced by societal pressures put on us from the diet culture to constantly be losing weight in a world that teaches us to equate our value and worth with the way we look and especially anyone in recovery from an eating disorder."

A rep for the company told TMZ that the ad has since been removed. "We're sorry. This ad was approved by mistake," their statement read. "We reviewed it again and removed it from future delivery in people's feeds."

rs_634x1024-190104123258-634-demi-lovato 

https://www.eonline.com/news/1001763/demi-lovato-calls-out-instagram-over-disgusting-fat-shaming-ad

Jynx

Grammy winner? Why haven't I heard of this? :huh:

Fender
Just now, Jynx said:

Wait I didn't notice that :skull:

thatsmydemi

A rep for the company told TMZ that the ad has since been removed. "We're sorry. This ad was approved by mistake," their statement read. "We reviewed it again and removed it from future delivery in people's feeds."

SHE WON :jonny: Her power :jonny2:

I'm glad she spoke about this. :clap3: 

Revenge
8 minutes ago, Jynx said:

E! Predicting the Grammy outcome :clap3:

WiredBrain

Well that character is obese. What's the issue? Why do we promote obesity as sexy and healthy. Western world is having an obesity crisis and people like Demi endorse it. There's nothing sexy, healthy or pretty about obesity. Get outta here demi. 

DemiLovato
8 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

SHE WON :jonny: Her power :jonny2:

I'm glad she spoke about this. :clap3: 

YES SHE BETTA :clap3: 

BarbFatale

Those ads were such a Kii! :ahh:

There were more than the one she posted.  Everyone in the comments section were saying that doesn’t even happen in the game :skull:

DemiLovato
3 minutes ago, WiredBrain said:

Well that character is obese. What's the issue? Why do we promote obesity as sexy and healthy. Western world is having an obesity crisis and people like Demi endorse it. There's nothing sexy, healthy or pretty about obesity. Get outta here demi. 

Instagram accidentally had the advertisement go through when it’s against their guidelines, so no matter the viewing of it, it wasn’t mean’t to be on people’s feeds to begin with and thanks to Demi for speaking out on it - they removed the advertisement. So no, I don’t think she should “get outta here”.

thatsmydemi
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, WiredBrain said:

Obese people know damn well it is not healthy but reminding them how bad they look and how unhealthy it is 24/7 won't help either. There are many ways to say that obesity is not good. 

LosingHimWasBlue

But she body shaming Taylor and her skinny friends 3 years ago.

hypocrite :toofunny3:

Josh
1 minute ago, LosingHimWasBlue said:

you can't body shame skinny people. 

Soeplepel

**** sake, people will literally cry over everything. No wonder she's such a weak minded person if she's offended by cartoon ads

Loghen
3 minutes ago, LosingHimWasBlue said:

What did she say??

LosingHimWasBlue
2 minutes ago, Josh said:

But she did. 

She said Taylor and her Friends not having “normal body” :toofunny3:

Soeplepel
Posted (edited)

Besides.. Why is "pretty" in quotes? She literally calls instagram out for body shaming yet you can be "pretty" as obese

tenor.gif?itemid=3569766

Soeplepel
1 minute ago, gm4567 said:

She ate again 

fixed

LosingHimWasBlue
5 minutes ago, Loghen said:

What did she say??

“This will probably get me in trouble, but I don't see anybody in any sort of squad that has a normal body. It's kind of this false image of what people should look like.”

DemiLovato
10 minutes ago, Soeplepel said:

Besides.. Why is "pretty" in quotes? She literally calls instagram out for body shaming yet you can be "pretty" as obese

tenor.gif?itemid=3569766

Because pretty is written on the ad she’s quoting the text??????????????????

And what if someone who was obese saw that ad, they know their lifestyle isn’t great but they’re being told they aren’t pretty?

WiredBrain
14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Of course you can. Don't be stupid. Loads of people hate being called "skinny" or "twig" etc .  

wxvii
10 minutes ago, Soeplepel said:

fixed

Rip. Are you an ODH or just a troll? This is your 3rd ignorant comment in this thread in less than 15 minutes :toofunny2: give it up already