FINISHED | RobDeWittBukater's Best of 2018

RobDeWittBukater

bJ8oHAs.png

#10 Carly Rae Jepsen - Party for One

88d6c26329cfc1dc209ac04705f5c38d.gif
I saw people on here comparing this song to Carly’s previous lead, “I Really Like You” and… “I Really Like You”, SWEETIE, I AM SO SORRY. I can’t believe that ugly *** bitches would even SAY something like that. LISTEN: Sure, “I Really Like You” did not reach the stratospheric heights of Emotion’s (and Kiss’!) best offerings, but it still was every bit as sparkly, sugary and mesmerizing (THAT BRIDGE! THOSE PRE-CHORUSES!) as we’ve had come to expect from Miss Jepsen aka Canada’s answer to Kylie Minogue. To indirectly quote Simgm (aka YouTube’s answer to Shakespeare): “I Really Like You” is on page one and “Party for One” is not even AT the library. Don’t get me wrong: The latter is still a perfectly fun pop song (with an equally fun video to boot by the way!) - hell, had it been offered up by someone like let’s say Zara Larsson, it might even have made it onto my top songs list (it would easily be one of the better tunes in Zara’s discography, no tea no shade). But this is CARLY we’re talking about. A POP PROPHET if there ever was one. Thankfully, we can still rest easy knowing that the album (whenever it arrives) will fully redeem Carlotta in ALL of our eyes. YES IT WILL. I HAVE PLANTED THE SEED AND I WILL REAP THE HARVEST.

#09 Kylie Minogue - Golden

e1c47db963bc019ad2b692a82785a036.gif
As I take it, most people didn’t seem to have great expectations for this album in the first place because after all, it is a Kylie album released in the 2010s (a chapter in Kylie’s discography that has been likened by many to Madonna’s “Hard Candy” / “MDNA” / “Rebel Heart” saga of trend-hopping and aging pop diva mediocrity). But that’s where I tell you: THEY’RE WRONG. We should always, ALWAYS have great expectations for Kylie because this woman has never let us (and when I speak of “us” I mean the gayz™ - sorry to all my cishet readers!) down. Sure, ‘Kiss Me Once’ was hardly excellent, but it wasn’t too grave a misstep. There was still lots to love when it came to the bonus tracks, and the “Into the Blue” mv and the tour were enjoyable enough. With ‘Golden’, things are a little um different: It’s not a BAD album, but it’s something you, for the most part, have to be in the mood for which is to say if you’re expecting disco-glam/dance-chic Kylie (or even left-field, Fernando Garibay-assisted moody Kylie), this record is not The One. It’s more of a rural affair - dancier than ‘Joanne’ and ‘Younger Now’ for sure, but still very much dedicated to the “pop diva reinvents herself as her father’s daughter, sister’s sister etc and moves to a farm” shtick. That will appeal to some people and does not exclusively yield bad results (“A Lifetime to Repair” has been a real grower!), but it’s a hard pill to swallow in an age where other such sonic detours to the rodeo have tragically failed (hello, dusty *** ‘Man of the Woods’!). Kylie pulls off the whole pseudo-twangy pop thing better than most, but it’s still not MY kind of Kylie.

#08 Taemin - Taemin

6274e894b1d9a009a067c22daeef60c5.gif
I don’t know why I expect quality music from someone who believes in Santa Claus, almost got lost in Switzerland, eats snow and loves banana milk - I JUST DO. And maybe if Taemin had spent less time going “MEH-HEH” during live-streamed slumber parties and spent more time in the studio, he would have delivered quality as he usually does, no matter if it’s for a Korean or a Japanese release. But alas, we got THIS as his full length Japanese debut: A self-titled (cookie for creativity!) LP that is basically a compilation of his previous singles and six new tracks plus some random soundtrack songs (including “What’s This Feeling?” which I love, a BOP and a quarter). The new material isn’t necessarily bad, it’s just… there. It’s pleasant, but Taemin’s musical output has always been much, much more than that. Thankfully, he is good enough a performer to make all this material work in live settings as he’s proven on his Sirius Tour this past fall and after repeated listens, one does warm up to the album. But as someone who was anticipating this quite a bit, I have to say I am still underwhelmed. Sorry Taemin, back to “Press It” and “Move” it is for me!

#07 The CW’s Riverdale: Season 3

78600e6f54f534e58a9df2fa2b0ec413.gif
Anyone who values quality entertainment has probably stopped watching Riverdale somewhere during Season 2 or never picked it up at all, but I as someone with a masochistic streak and a tendency to ironically stan (or “hate-stan”) certain things am one of the few (mostly) sane people left who still watch the show. And God, does it SUCK. Of course, that’s also sort of its appeal (aside from the fact that the cast is hot) but that won’t stop me from complaining about it. The dialogue in almost every scene is the most contrived, pretentious, unnatural **** you can imagine with the characters of Jughead, Veronica and, more often than not, Cheryl, being the worst offenders (basically, the characters talk the way I write - yeah THAT weird). The show’s sexualization of its characters who are, unlike the actors portraying them, supposed to be minors is NCT-level creepy and borders on the ridiculous (every scene of Archie being shirtless while he was in ~juvie~ comes to mind). The inability of the characters to take out their ****ing cellphones and RECORD some of the madness that goes down in their town and put it on the internet is straight-up INFURIATING. As are the intricate, cartoonish plots they opt for instead. Also, Veronica constantly boasting about the dirt she has on her dad to HER DAD is some of the dumbest, fume-inducing writing I have EVER witness. The plot (especially this season I feel like) keeps running in circles, with some Hiram lackey (Ghoulies, Gargoyles, mafiosos, drug dealers etc) trying to kill Archie and every other character making the worst choices they could possibly make. What’s so disappointing about the current state of the show is that it didn’t start out this way - initially, there was a true sense of mystery to this show, there were real, plausible stakes, there was a plot that felt like it was going somewhere despite taking some left turns on the way. Most people would argue that Riverdale is the kind of trash TV show that is meant to be enjoyed ironically but the thing is, the cast and producers seem to be seriously convinced that Riverdale is some deep, unpredictable, high quality teen drama. This air of superiority and self-perceived seriousness is tangible in the very way the show is produced and the way the cast talks about the show, and that’s, funnily enough, exactly what makes it so hard to take this show seriously and respect it in any way. That being said, I’ll definitely keep watching - who knows when we’ll be in for another glorious shot of Archie’s pecs or one of the always intriguing Betty breakdowns.

#06 SHINee - Countless

31eb75d3ecd402ef61734cbbcf12ec93.gif
Whilst SHINee’s title track record undoubtedly ranks as one of the best in K-Pop, they’ve also delivered some real stinkers throughout the years, with “Amigo” (a tragic attempt at fusing the sonic palettes of JT’s ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ and Gaga’s ‘The Fame’ that sounds like it came straight from the deepest, darkest pits of hell aka the Super Junior rejects vault), “I Want You” (the chorus is bouncy and punchy enough to justify this song’s existence, but title track material it is not), “Dream Girl” (actually a rather enjoyable song, but something’s off about it and I just can’t pinpoint what - either way, it can’t be a coincidence that this title marked the beginning of the end of SHINee’s imperial phase) and “Why So Serious?” (the regrettable peak of SHINee’s late-to-the-party, Green Day-flavored pop rock obsession of the early 10s) making up the group’s unholy quartet of mediocre title tracks. Except that it’s actually a QUINTET thanks to the good sis Countless. Naturally, I have high standards for SHINee (as one ought to for their bias group) so I was expecting GREATNESS despite the fact that Countless was to be their fifth (!) title track released in this calendar year. What I got instead was blandness, the kind that might as well not exist in the first place for no one would be missing it. Of course, even the blandest SHINee songs have their redeeming qualities (their vocals make even their BLEAKEST offerings worth listening to, something that can’t be said about all K-Pop groups [hihihi]) and if you try long and hard it enough, it’ll “grow on you” (the thing you tell yourself when your fave comes out with a new song and it just ain’t it). But why would I waste my time trying to condition myself into liking Countless when I could just listen to the dozen excellent title tracks SHINee’s released in the years prior? WHY?! All that being said, there is something to like about Countless (that groovy chorus ALMOST manages to sneak up on you like the twice-removed, ‘they/them’-identifying step cousin of “View” it so desperately wants to be) and the video provided us with gorgeous shots of Minho’s and Onew’s faces (which is about as much of a narrative there is to it) so I can’t stay mad at them for too long. STILL. #NotMyTitleTrack

#05 Ariana Grande - Sweetener

056d412825fb2a49067dddb198e61e32.gif
As a committed moonlight bae / baby love / whatever it is that Ari calls her fans these days, ‘Sweetener’ was a bitter pill for me to swallow, for it was the first time in my Ariana stanhood that I did not immediately like an album of hers. Of course, I found comfort in the fact that the singles were still great and that the album could still ~grow on me~. Yet in the back of my mind, I also knew that it’d be very unlikely that I’d condition myself into liking ‘Sweetener’ when I could just as well go back to good ‘ol ‘Dangerous Woman’ for my daily dose of Grande-sized pop. And well, I was right: Till this day, I still haven’t made a proper effort to get into the album. I don’t know why, but I just haven’t felt the need to do so. And that’s something I never thought I could feel towards an Ari album: indifference (I’m aware of how dramatic this sounds but bear with me zhvj). When it comes to defending ‘Sweetener’ from not-so enthusiastic reactions, the first instinct of many Ari stans these days seems to be to imply that the album is simply too R&B for generic pop lovers to appreciate. But here’s the thing: ‘Sweetener’ is not that impressive of a pop album, but it’s not that impressive of a R&B album either. It’s cute, hell, if you want it, even sweet, but it’s far from great - no matter which genre you label it. For me, ‘Sweetener’ triggered an immediate “thank u, next!” response and while I probably will give the album another shot somewhere down the line, I’m more than ready for Ari’s next LP-ish endeavor. To refer to one of Miss Grande’s favorite movies: Bring it on!

#04 Jennie - Solo

636e76fb800ca0e271369716a996b61e.gif

Blinks have proven time and time again that they’re willing to support even the crudest mid-2010s 2NE1 rejects, so it should come as no surprise that YG took to his recycling bin for Jennie’s solo single as well. What he retrieved was a rehash of Sunmi’s “Gashina” (arguably one of the stunning soloist’s least imaginative offerings) and then he put Jennie to work: She was fetched from the dungeon for a recording session and dropped off in an #aesthetic neighborhood for a few hours to shoot the mv. Then the song got released and became, by all metrics that Korea’s charts and sales apparatus has to offer (and those are a LOT!), a roaring success - which of course it did, because absolutely anything and everything will work on a Blink (YG may be lazy, but he’s not dumb - he keeps them deprived for a reason). “Solo” would be a perfectly acceptable B-side track for most 3rd generation heavyweights, but it is NOT acceptable as a title track from Miss Jennie Kim, the most-hyped individual from the most-hyped (and biggest) girl group to exist at this moment in time. Of course I’m glad that “Solo” has been successful (Jennie is a sweetheart and lethargic or not, there is undoubtedly something about her - same goes for her fellow BP ladies), but I’m also aware of the fact that “Solo” is not a success because it’s a great song, it’s a success because it’s a BlackPink-related release in the year of our Lord 2018.

There is nothing memorable about “Solo”, nothing that screams “This is Jennie ****ing Kim and you WILL respect her!”. The song could have been sung by absolutely anyone whose company has Teddy on the payroll, and the video is bland and filled with all your favorite visual clichés of late 2010s K-Pop (fancy room inside a mansion! a trip to the laundromat! a car because cars! late-night stroll through a graffiti-happy neighborhood! something related to flowers!). There’s just nothing memorable about any of it, nothing that jumps out at you. The only thing that justifies the existence of this song and its accompanying video is, well, Jennie. She’s not giving you much, but she’s giving you Jennie, and that’s what you came for. And you know what? I get it. I get the feeling of supporting your fave just BECAUSE, no matter how vanilla their latest song is. I’m as guilty of it as every other stan in the history of stanning. But I also understand that we should all be expecting MORE of our faves. And that’s precisely the point: “Solo” is a monumental smash and it’s now the standard that Jennie will be held to. And a very high standard, it is not. With that being said, I will give Jennie some props for the cute dance sequence and the “Now I’m going slo-mo” lyric which, given her disposition as a performer, may be one of the most self-aware and manifesto-like lines ever uttered in a song.

#03 J.K. Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

6f60d2f25eb969cce2d697eb1703168f.gif

I’m genuinely not sure whether I liked the first ‘Fantastic Beasts’ movie or not but what I am sure of is that I LOVE the Harry Potter universe - which is exactly why this film is so revolting as it has NOTHING to do with fantastic beasts and EVERYTHING to do with characters, narratives and truths that I and many other HP fans have loved and been invested in for years. ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald’ (a misleading title if there ever was one; ‘Fantastic Beasts: Apparating Around Paris’ would have been a better pick) is the kind of movie that will have locals and even certified Potterheads wondering what the **** is happening most of the time. In every scene, a dozen arcane-sounding names are thrown around (who ARE all these people?) and about as many new flashy wizarding gimmicks are introduced (there’s now Pensieve-less memory projection, a blood pact that serves as an alternative to the Unbreakable Vow, some golden magical dust that does I don’t even know what, and the grounds of Hogwarts can now be apparated to at will). It’s all messy and confusing and the movie doesn’t even attempt to make sense of it - after all, it has no time to waste because there’s some 12 [!] characters who all need to be integrated into the story somehow (how ironic that a movie with the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ title is so human-centered). In some weird, truly magical way, this movie manages to be over 2 hours long with almost NOTHING of note happening: Grindelwald escapes, Newt and the rest of the gang aimlessly run around wizarding world Paris, Grindelwald invites everyone to a meeting and a ~battle~ occurs (there’s a blue fire and Leta dies

). Oh, and Queenie (my favorite character from the first movie) joins Grindelwald but that entire plot point is so nonsensical and contradictory to EVERYTHING her character was initially about that I flat out refuse to acknowledge it.

Aside from ruining new characters (or killing them off without allowing us to develop a true connection to them and to really care about them), the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ sequel also does its fair share of going against previously established canon. The different timelines in this movie - and as such within the franchise’s entire canon as well - are a MESS that I’m sure not even JK Rowling is on top of. While Professor McGonagall’s appearance in the movie might be its most obvious violation against canon, all the flashback scenes and the entire convoluted mess that is the LeStrange / Credence backstory really have problematic implications as far as the timeline is concerned. Whilst this is what will probably cause the most distress to Harry Potter diehards watching this movie, casual fans and locals will experience an equal amount of distress in their attempts to follow this movie and make sense of the dialogue. The only way to enjoy this movie is to ignore the plot and just focus on the visuals: The wardrobe, the sets and all the CGI (which makes up 70% of the movie anyway) are every bit as atmospheric, dark and stunning as we’ve come to expect from David Yates’ rendering of the Harry Potter universe. So yeah, at least there’s that. I could talk more about this movie but I feel like this has already been depressing enough.

#02 Justin Timberlake’s SuperBowl Halftime Show

d073d43c7b5783414a143beac4a3ca73.png

Justin Timberlake not being a capable performer is a MYTH. Sure, he was never interesting to look at - no post-MJ/Prince/Bowie/George Michael/Freddie Mercury/Boy George male Western pop star is - but you could always rely on JT to serve up the tried-and-true, suave, inoffensive and neatly choreographed showmanship that he has perfected throughout the years (take his performance of “Mirrors” at the 2013 Brit Awards for example). We all knew his SuperBowl Halftime Show wouldn’t be a Madonna/Katy/Gaga-level pop spectacle because he IS a man and this IS the Western music industry. But at least we were guaranteed a fine and dandy display of musical talent with some nice vocals and some nice dancing, and more than likely, also some rather nice staging (and a live-band of course). As it turned out, we ended up getting the bootleg version of all that with some extra garbage added on top - an embarrassingly uneventful Prince tribute that did not do Prince any justice whatsoever, an equally uneventful “Can’t Stop the Feeling” finale made worse only by THAT selfie (enough said), a thorough MESS of a sound production - as well as the most disappointing SuperBowl entrance since Madonna rewrote the script on what’s SuperBowl-worthy and what’s not: JT pulling a Taylor Swift 2013 BBMA performance and starting his set inside some backstage club setting (what is this, the iHeartRadio Music Festival?) before stepping out in an outfit that appropriately dated him as a 2005 redneck trying to blend in with the urban crowd.

While the staging was admittedly fun (all those bridge-like runways connecting the various smaller stages was, albeit messy, a cool idea), the setlist was just a relentless, convoluted pastiche of choruses that sounded like one of those iTunes album preview compilations that used to be a thing once upon a time. Beyoncé too packed as many songs as possible into her 2013 Halftime Show (hell, even “End of Time” got airtime and I don’t think that was even a single - but then again I can’t be too sure since the ‘4’ era’s single run is one of the most complex things right next to advanced algebra) but it worked because her entire set was a giant dance sequence anyways. She SOLD that ****. In JT’s show however, there was no coherence, nor was there anything to sell. It was just a constant jumping from one song to another. Sometimes there was an army of musicians backing up JT, sometimes there was not. Sometimes there was an enthusiastic crowd (that cleverly supplemented a considerably less enthusiastic stadium audience if Twitter is to believe) dancing around one of JT’s mini stages, sometimes there was not. Sometimes JT was walking from one stage to another, sometimes he was not. There was no structure, no beginning, no climax (although “Mirrors” was a great visual moment, I’ll give him that), no end to the show. It felt like a compilation of several individual performances rather than the kind of big, compact, thoroughly conceptualized, 13-minute extravaganza we’ve come to expect from post-2011 SuperBowl Halftime Shows. And really, that kind of sums it up. I’d love to end this downer of a paragraph on a more optimistic note, but this year’s SuperBowl Halftime Show will be headlined by Maroon 5 so things are shaping up to remain rather “bleak, dahhhhling” in that department. Cheers!

#01 Jackson Wang’s Music Career

90bb1205ce4abf1d2a80209a8f2f7dd5.gif

Technically, Jackson already debuted as a soloist in 2017 but it wasn’t until a year later that he reached the PEAK of his aural terrorism. What’s so disappointing about Jackson’s abhorrent “musical” output is not that the fact that he’s talented or anything like that (he’s an average dancer and not much else - I’d speak of his rap skills but unfortunately they don’t exist) - it’s the fact that it represents the biggest waste of an entertaining, charismatic personality and gorgeous, moistening Hair_Body_Face.mp3 that I’ve ever seen. Jackson could easily be molded into someone actually worth stanning for if he was given the right music (and if his team finally stopped trying to make “Jackson the rapper” happen - it’s NOT going to happen, at least not for the ever-dwindling percentage of humanity who does possess a functioning set of ears and musical taste buds). He is cool, hot, funny, interesting to look at, can speak 4 languages fluently, has great fashion sense and people skills, and when he’s well-rehearsed, can pull off a choreo perfectly fine and shine with a good amount of stage presence. That already makes him more talented than some 50% of the industry (sorry!) so I just don’t understand why he/his team/whoever have decided to go down this VILE, rotten path of scream-infested cacophony that even the Western mumble rapper with the lowest amount of self-respect wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. The individuals who actively defend/appreciate his music (they aren’t that few in number btw if YouTube comment sections are any indication) usually say it’s “fun” and not meant to be more than that. But if songs (I’m using that term VERY generously here) like “Different Game” or “Made It” are your idea of fun, then I shudder to think what you’d define as dread.

As an SM stan, I don’t have any right to play the “Big 3 garbage keeps succeeding while actual talent stays under the radar” card, but the fact that the above-mentioned videos have more views than, well, MOST of the genuinely great nugu/~underrated group~ tracks of 2018 is an injustice of COSMIC dimensions. But at the same time it’s also an indication that Jackson’s solo stans will digest just about anything he sharts out - so WHY not have that “anything” be… actual music? WHY, JYP? Is that too CRAZY a thought? The interest’s there but the quality isn’t which is something that could be so, so, so easily fixed. If I was in charge of Jackson’s musical direction, I’d give him more songs in the vein of “Dawn of Us” (easily his most listenable song to date - not like it’s hard) and from there, slowly but surely carve out a “male thot urban pop bop” niche for him. He could be serving the male “Dally” (not to say that Jackson could ever DREAM of pulling off Hyolyn-level vocals and choreo - but a sexy, R&B-ish route would certainly do him much more favors, and his body is his main asset anyway so why not make that the focus of his career). He could be dressing like a Wonho’d slut, complete with BDSM soldier breastplates and biceps straps. He could actually use what he has (visuals and personality) and make it WORK. UGH. All this potential is what truly makes Jackson the BIGGEST disappointment out of all that 2018 has bestowed upon me. That being said, I will 100% continue to watch Jackson (and Monsta X) videos with the sound off for um personal reasons. So I guess I am a member of #TeamWang after all. Somehow he always stays here… I can’t STAND it. Happy 2019 btw!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDeWittBukater

• madonnas

• potent

• Vilppu

Not ATRL putting the rest of that novel in a spoiler CGFHVG I truly went overboard didn't I :ahh:

Anyway, Top Songs #40-21 will be revealed tmrw :heart2:

• ATRL Moderator

Golden is just so bland to me.  I hate that she tried to do something new and it ended up so bland, because KMO was really not the tea either.. I do like Aphrodite a lot though even if GOMW is overrated af.

I agree 100% with your PFO write up. 

• ATRL Moderator

hmnm I liked party for one... golden was pretty disappointing tho

Golden was really disappointing for me, I hope her next album is better!

What do you mean? Solo is that transcendental, empowering bop! :jamming: Jk. But the JenKai controversy made it 10x more impactful tho. :heart2: 

Omg, if Jackson Wang was hired in any other Big 3 company, he could've been the next Jonghyun/GD for his SERIOUSLY GOD-TIER visuals. JYP better get it right in time.

nsiDmJO.png

#040-031:

T6wmO67.png

#040 Tinashe - Me So Bad (feat. Ty Dolla $ign & French Montana)
“This song is so generic” “Tinashe really thought she did something here ghfjg” “Omg this is so basic I-” SHUT your damn mouths I say. EVERY tongue that has risen up against this HYMN shall fall - I have planted the SEED and I will REAP the HARVEST. I absolutely, wholeheartedly, unconditionally love this song. I enjoy it to the fullest. This song was meant to be bumped all through summer and you can bet your physical copy of ‘Nightride’ that’s EXACTLY what I was doing in 2018. There’s just so much that’s GOOD about this track (which will herein be EXCLUSIVELY referred to as “Me So Bop”): That softly throbbing, bubbly trop-pop beat. “COME GET DIS BUDDAY!”. Ty’s “SAY!” ad-lib in the second verse. That holy pre-chorus (“SAY YOU’RE LOOKIN’ FOR SOMEONETHAT’LLLAST!”). French Montana’s verse which sounds eerily similar to “Papi” by J.Lo (we love Tinashe subtly reclaiming what is rightfully hers!). And that OUTRO which is by far the track’s most vibey, vulnerable, and straight-up glorious moment. Make no mistake, “Me So Bop” is still as generic a Tinashe track as you can find, but damn is it GOOD. Oh, and the video is perhaps one of Tinashe’s most effective and most poppy to date (right next to “Superlove”) so that helps too.

Ng6yZLR.png

#039 MNEK - Tongue
I don’t really use MNEK outside of this song and “Never Forget You” (d) so I’m not really in a position to sing any praises to his artistry but what I CAN do is vouch for the EXCELLENCE of this masterpiece right here. This is the kind of song you imagine when you think of a “gay male POP star” - the exact kind of song you unfortunately rarely ever get from a Western male artist. Unapologetically pop, playful and, yes, sexy, “Tongue” plays like the more extroverted sibling to Taemin’s “Move” - which ticks ALL the boxes a quality bop needs to tick in my book. And we need to talk about the VIDEO. Cause God, WHAT A VIDEO. The entire high-end feast/orgy concept is a SERVE (quite literally) and MNEK’s love interest is so ****ING FINE, I’d go into more graphic detail if it wasn’t for ATRL’s Puritan-ish censorship, believe me you. Anyway, watch for yourself! (Also friendly reminder that the pre-chorus from “If U Seek Amy” walked so “licky you, licky me, licky la la la” could run - that’s all)

yntaNa9.png

#038 Janelle Monáe - Crazy, Classic, Life
I’d argue that at its core, ‘Dirty Computer’ really is a celebration of youth, blackness, freedom and independence, and “Crazy, Classic, Life” is the very epitome of all those things. This polished-sounding, sparkling, slightly 80s-funk-infused celebratory track sees Janelle living her BEST life as well as delving into topics of black and female identity. In an album filled with manifesto-like anthems, this one stands out in particular for how it depicts Janelle’s hunger for life and desire for more - it’s to ‘Dirty Computer’ what “New Romantics” was to Taylor’s ‘1989’.

ChZlofv.png

#037 SHINee - Jump
Back in late May when SHINee dropped the first installment of their ‘The Story of Light’ series, “Jump”, immediately, well, jumped out at me - it was exactly the kind of bouncy, ever-so-slightly-retro-leaning, uplifting, quirky pop magic that I had come to expect from the shining boys. As the summer went on, I kind of wore “Jump” out and started gravitating more towards the other tracks, but really, when it comes down to it, “Jump” is still THE ONE for me. It’s just utterly irresistible, from that relentless ‘Off the Wall’-type bounce to Taemin’s breathy “CHUMP!” halfway through the first verse to the various (very creative) ways in which the boys deliver the hook (Onew’s “I juuump on yo!” is my personal favorite but Taemin’s sassy “I jump on yuoh” - complete with a slight vocal fry - is also up there). This song is also notable for its lyrics which are (to quote a certain Songbird Supreme) “full of such trepidation”. Basically, the boys are experiencing a spring fling and they’re not quite sure what to do about it, but in the end they figure that the only option is to just JUMP and let it happen. I especially enjoy the English rendering of the lyrics done by the good sis UMNIA, one of my fellow SHINee fans - do check out her version on YouTube! (this is not me trying to self-promo I swear, I’m a MALE jghk)

Wry1utZ.png

#036 BoA - Good Love
If a 2000s-flavored feel good jam has been missing from your 2018, fret no longer: BoA has got you covered! We’ve been knew that when BoA gives you classic pop, she gives it to you GOOD, and that’s exactly what she does in this song for all of its 3 minutes and 12 seconds. It’s just all so simple, so summery, so groovy, so instant, so wobbly, so catchy (“Cause I’m in LUH-UH-UVE”) - and if the numbers that BoA’s latest album pulled are anything to go by, it’s also so, so slept on. So you’d better be giving it some good love! 

YT1kPQc.png

#035 The 1975 - It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You)
The sweet, sing-along-friendly, smile-inducing love song that you just can’t hate because it’s so earnest and melodic. Yes, that’s what “It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You)” is, to me at least.

PDkHcsU.png

#034 Lady Gaga - I’ll Never Love Again 
ABBA’s “The Winner Takes It All” is one of my all-time favorite songs so naturally Gaga’s 2018 remake appealed to me. KIDDING! (sorta) Familiar-sounding melodies aside, “I’ll Never Love Again” is a triumph in its own right, gently steered by Gaga’s vulnerable, sturdy, all-encompassing voice and lyrics so ripe with emotion that even if you haven’t yet seen the movie (as is the case for me) and therefore won’t be able to associate the song with its corresponding scene, you’ll find yourself recalling an emotionally impactful event or memory of some kind. Gaga’s never been one to particularly excel at penning ballads - or so they say - but this song might make the strongest case yet to challenge that assumption. Also props to the Lady for her production work on this one!

pkTSuJv.png

#033 Vixx - Odd Sense
“Odd Sense” is a R&B dance track with what I THINK to be Indian influences (if you know better, feel free to @ me) that wouldn’t sound out of place on Britney’s ‘In the Zone’ - or any sexy early-to-mid-2000s urban pop album, really. And that is a HUGE compliment, one that this song deserves on every level. In an album filled with solid melodies, “Odd Sense” can pride itself in having some of the most infectious. If that ridiculously catchy intro (complete with passionate vocals served up by Ken) doesn’t have you hooked, then all I can really do for you is STRONGLY recommend a trip to your nearest otologist. And I’ll, of course, will be sending you my love (T-Swift style) and keeping you in my prayers. Also, shoutout to this song’s instrumental and Ravi’s spitfire rap break right before the final chorus, because YES to both.

r6t4Jpy.png

#032 Phantoms & Vanessa Hudgens - Lay With Me
There’s not much to say about this song other than yes Vanessa Hudgens yes fun, flirtatious, infectious pop music. In my mind, this song is a distant cousin to Rebecca Black’s “Foolish” (one of my favorites from 2018).

nNVfCwE.png

#031 Baekhyun & Loco - Young
This track possesses an aura of mystique and coolness that’s really hard to come by. “Young” is an icy electronic throbber with a menacing-sounding sci-fi bassline and fierce vocals (“Do it do it NEOREUL DEONJYEO!”) as well as stunning harmonies delivered by Exo’s Baekhyun. Loco’s distinct flow brings about a nice change in the second verse of the song and further adds to its artificial, somewhat robotic vibe. As for the music video, it sees Baekhyun and Loco conducting a series of social experiments with participants who behave very robotically and appear to be entranced by circular shapes and motions. If that’s not an innovative mv concept, then I don’t know what is. A WIN for SM Station! (Ten’s “Dream in a Dream” and “New Heroes” [!] are excellent as well but unfortunately I forgot about Ten’s existence while compiling this top songs list so this honorable mention will have to do :/)

Edited by RobDeWittBukater

• ATRL Moderator

CCL is so underrated.  Everyone saying its DC's worst can ROT.  I love the carefree vibe and then at the end the spoken/rapped part is excellence.

nsiDmJO.png

#030-021:

rESaWiX.png

#030 Kim Petras - Can’t Do Better 
“Can’t Do Better” brings the DRAMA, much like its sadly unreleased cousin “Dark Part of Your Heart” (a must-listen!). Built around a crashing chorus that’s bursting with devastation and emotionally loaded, frantically delivered and full-throated hyperboles (“DON'TYOUKNOWOHCAN'TYOUSEETHATTHERE'SNOONEELSEBUTME!!!”), “Can’t Do Better” explores the heartbreak of unrequited love. As someone who is perpetually seeking validation from others (gulp! this got real), the “Tried to be sweet, tried to be fun” lyric resonated with me in particular, especially due to the slightly vulnerable way in which Miss Petras sings it.

2tVs7Ii.png

#029 Exo-CBX - Vroom Vroom
Don’t let those slapping verses and smoothly crooned pre-choruses deceive you: this song is not as retro as you’d think. No. In fact, it’s an throbbing, electronic MONSTER (reference) that truly comes alive during that frenetic, flashing, vibrating chorus. What really makes that chorus the scene stealer it is, apart from the fantastic production, is the vocal delivery by Baekhyun, Chen and Xiumin. Each time that staggering, frantic succession of vocals comes around (“oneul nan neowaramyeon (neowaramyeon!) / eodideun sanggwaneopseuni / gakkai neoreul naye (neoreul naye!) / gyeote dul suman ittamyeon”), this track truly feels like the dazzling Friday night out its lyrics revolve around.

c2DWfYn.png

#028 SHINee - Lock You Down
The only track from ‘The Story of Light’ series to feature Jonghyun’s vocals (that is, the only track where his vocals are really on the forefront alongside everybody else’s - traces of his voice can be heard all throughout songs like ‘Jump’, ‘Electric’ and ‘Undercover’, among others), “Lock You Down” naturally has sentimental value for me. But a huge part of my love for this song also stems from the fact that it’s just so ****ing good. I love the bustling yet airy atmosphere that this track has to it as well as the many chant-y harmonies found throughout, starting from the intro (“I don’t want noboday, noboday”) to what I think to be the true chorus (“NO!” “OH NO!” “OH!” “OH NO!”) to the hook (“I gotta lock you down”) to the verses (“RUN! RUn! RUN! RUN!”) and the middle eight section (“Baby, it’s our time…”). But what I perhaps love the most about this track is the way Jonghyun’s voice sounds on it. His falsetto in the pre-chorus (or the second section of the first verse if you will) is just absolutely mesmerizing, lightweight and truly angelic. Elsewhere, he delivers lines the way only he could, making them sound both soul-piercing and precious (“Gotta lock you DOWWN”, “eoneusae neodo mollae jami deuneun”). And then there are of course his ethereal ad-libs with the one that starts around the 2:23 minute mark being my favorite. It is true - hearing his voice on this track really “feels like [you]'ve finally been given water after months of dehydration” and leaves you “chasing every octave of it and hanging off every last breath” as someone put it so eloquently in the YouTube comment section. Also, on a final note: I don’t why but I LOVE the way Taemin hits that “ollata” in the second verse.

1Smijp9.png

#027 Troye Sivan - Plum 
It rarely ever happens that a breakdown (or drop, whatever you wanna call it) is my favorite part of a song but that’s precisely the case with this one. I honestly couldn’t care less for Plum’s verses (in fact, I actually kind of find them annoying) and the pre-chorus is just okay, but that chorus (which includes the drop) is just insanely, mind-blowingly good. It feels understated and massive at the same time and sounds euphoric yet bittersweet - it just epitomizes the lyrical message of this song (which I do love) perfectly. The final chorus is my favorite moment in the whole song. We all know that Troye isn’t much of a singer (his TV performances throughout 2018 never failed to remind us of that unfortunate fact) but his delivery during the piano build-up and the final drop (“Baby, we’re overgro-own…”) hits just as hard as it should and truly sells the whole melancholic feel.

mrDEXyu.png

#026 NCT U - Baby Don’t Stop 
I could delve into a long-winded explanation as to why this song is best title track any NCT unit has offered up thus far, but the less said about NCT’s other songs the better. “Baby Don’t Stop” is a cluster**** of moving parts and floating ideas that all blend together in the most beautiful way (this happens quite literally during the final chorus/outro section as Taeyong’s bars, Ten’s ad-libs, the background harmonies, the whispers, and the almost doo-wop-esque vocal improvisations all collide). And then there’s THE CHOREO. And then there’s “BABY, I JUST FEEL SO NICE / BABY, I JUST FEEL SO RIGHT”. And Ten’s pleading yelp of “GONNA GET THAAT!” right before his voice gives way to the dance breakdown. And lest we forget, the music video which - curiously - makes NCT’s oversexualized twink/male Lollita aesthetic WORK for once. This track feels so simple and effortlessly catchy, but there’s a complexity at its core that is engaging even on the 475th listen. Oh, and do look up the lyrics - between Taeyong threatening to “knead your body” and his “Estoy loco, mi dulce coco” rap, there’s an endless ocean of meme-worthy gems just waiting to be uncovered and employed as leverage in the everlasting boy group stan wars on Twitter and Instagram.

eiTdYRe.png

#025 SHINee - Good Evening
For me, this song was more of a grower than a shower (a sensation that I had up till then rarely ever experienced with my favorite SHINee title tracks) and I’m not going to lie, the fact that it did grow on me had a lot to do with the circumstances under which it was made and released. But a lot of it also comes down to the song itself: those ethereal, cascading vocal harmonies which feel like you’re standing underneath a waterfall, the fragile verses, the absolutely beautiful synth patterns that becomes prominent around the 2:00 minute mark, that tantalizing spoken-word breakdown (“I can feel... we’re looking at each other through this door…”). And, above all, those lyrics. They express the longing of the SHINee members in the most heartbreaking (but also beautiful) way with a race against the darkness serving as a metaphor for the boys’ efforts to reunite with their little angel (“I’m coming to get you before it’s too late”, “I’m imagining how surprised you’ll be”, “At the tip of the sunset that hangs on the buildings / I think of you”). The fact that the English title is a greeting that is however never explicitly expressed in the song is also worth considering. Every second of this song feels replenishing, like a cool drink on a hot summer night, and it’s easily one of the tracks released in 2018 that are the most meaningful to me.

y5vKA9l.png

#024 BoA - One Shot, Two Shot 
It doesn’t get more straightforward than this bop. That thumping beat, BoA’s commanding delivery, the way she hits the “Spangles are falling down!” line in the pre-chorus, the “zoop zoop” shot sound effect during the chorus, her Shakira-esque WAILING during the outro (keep in mind these are all terms of ENDEARMENT) - one might just have to credit HER MIND. What’s not to love? Oh, and the music video is also just as simple and effective. One win, two win, HOW does she do it?

MP9Y4nG.png

#023 Key - Easy to Love
“Easy to Love” has got all the things that dreams of pop perfection are made of: a romantic, 80s-tinged intro, verses that fly by like a breeze (don’t bore us, get to the chorus!), and of course the chorus itself - and Almighty Key, what a chorus it is! A burst of energy initiated by an “I’M NOT EASY TO LOVE!” chant and backed up by a deliciously crunchy and bouncy pop instrumental, the chorus is really what makes this song stand out as one of the most instant and satisfying listens on ‘Face’.

wz1jsoq.png

#022 No Rome - Narcissist (feat. The 1975)
I discovered this song through Edward Avila’s one of YouTube videos (which says a lot about me nn) and, well, I’m glad I did because it BOPS. It happens to sample a Jay Park song by the name of “Solo” (what is it with K-Pop and songs named “Solo”?) which is ALSO a total bop by the way.

n2KG4Li.png

#021 Apink - I’m So Sick
I initially didn’t get the hype for this song but I got hooked on, once again, thanks to the “male version” I found on YouTube (I guess I’m just too much of a BG-only stan at heart). This sugary, pseudo-disco synthpop ditty has a melodramatic feel (“So baby BYE BYE BYE!”, *whispers “I’m so sick of lying… you gotta know that”) to it that I can absolutely get down with, and then are of course those irresistible, bubbly verses and that STOMP of a chorus followed by a hook that is easily one of 2018’s catchiest (“Oh-oh-oh-oh! No-no-no-no-n-n-n-n-no-no-oh-oh!” - this isn’t transcribed correctly but it’s the best I could do). I’ll definitely be perched for Apink’s future output because they got me with this one (and the accompanying mini too offers ear candy galore!).

On 1/2/2019 at 12:55 AM, madonnas said:

Golden is just so bland to me.  I hate that she tried to do something new and it ended up so bland, because KMO was really not the tea either.. I do like Aphrodite a lot though even if GOMW is overrated af.

I agree 100% with your PFO write up. 

Omg I agree with EVERYTHING you said regarding Kylie, down to the GOMW bit (although it has grown on me quite a bit). Golden, albeit largely disappointing, did deliver 2 or 3 bops so I'm confident that Kylie's still got it. Let's see how her next project turns out (highkey hoping that she uses those "Janet-inspired" tracks she allegedly recorded early on in the Golden recording sessions).

On 1/2/2019 at 2:19 AM, Tsareena said:

hmnm I liked party for one... golden was pretty disappointing tho

I don't mind Party for One but Idk I was just expecting way more :'( But Carly rarely ever lets us down, I have faith that the album will be a treasure trove of bops as usual!

On 1/2/2019 at 2:25 AM, Oh My Gaga said:

Golden was really disappointing for me, I hope her next album is better!

100% agreed :heart2: Thanks for stopping by, do stick around!

On 1/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, TayRianaPH said:

What do you mean? Solo is that transcendental, empowering bop! :jamming: Jk. But the JenKai controversy made it 10x more impactful tho. :heart2: 

Omg, if Jackson Wang was hired in any other Big 3 company, he could've been the next Jonghyun/GD for his SERIOUSLY GOD-TIER visuals. JYP better get it right in time.

I'm a OSoLoLoLoH (Obsessed Solo Hater), it's my DESTINY! :nicole2: But true dat, we love a power couple :heart2:

Right? Jackson even originally auditioned as a vocalist but JYP made him switch to rapping because of Got7's group concept. I can't believe that he gave up a Stanford scholarship and moved to Korea just to become a "rapper" that barely gets lines :rip: But I'm still rooting for him, he's just way too attractive not to :jonny4:

18 hours ago, Jet said:

Poor Sweetener is so misunderstood :cries:

maybe I'll come around to ha, but for now it's all about what's (thank u) next when it comes to Ari for me :gaycat3: :heart2:

7 minutes ago, madonnas said:

CCL is so underrated.  Everyone saying its DC's worst can ROT.  I love the carefree vibe and then at the end the spoken/rapped part is excellence.

Ugh, right? I feel like it gets kind of overlooked which is so not fair because it's truly excellent :angry:

-

Sorry for the late replies everyone, I've been a procrastinating mess this past week :weeps:

Also exclusively tagging @Seros because justice for Vixx (and esp Hongbin) has been served in my Top 30 :heart2: 

Will finish the countdown (hopefully) tomorrow with the final top 20! Thanks everyone for participating!

45 minutes ago, RobDeWittBukater said:

Sorry for the late replies everyone, I've been a procrastinating mess this past week :weeps:

Also exclusively tagging @Seros because justice for Vixx (and esp Hongbin) has been served in my Top 30 :heart2: 

Will finish the countdown (hopefully) tomorrow with the final top 20! Thanks everyone for participating!

Odd sense is that expirmental bop :jonny5:

1 minute ago, Seros said:

Odd sense is that expirmental bop :jonny5:

Ugh, RIGHT? :jonny: There's one more Eau de Vixx highlight coming up :eli:

(also off-topic but where is ur avi from, Hongbin looks GOOD)

3 minutes ago, RobDeWittBukater said:

Ugh, RIGHT? :jonny: There's one more Eau de Vixx highlight coming up :eli:

(also off-topic but where is ur avi from, Hongbin looks GOOD)

Their year end MBC stage I'd link it but I'm at work. They did two different concepts for scentist at MBC and KBS gayo.:jonny5:

Just now, Seros said:

Their year end MBC stage I'd link it but I'm at work. They did two different concepts for scentist at MBC and KBS gayo.:jonny5:

Oof ty, will check it out! 

OT: Grand finale tmrw :fish1:

Plum is my favorite from these two sets. INLA is okay, Dirty Computer has some great songs but CCL is not really the tea :gaycat3:

• 2 weeks later...

nsiDmJO.png

#020 Janelle Monae - Screwed (feat. Zoë Kravitz)

Ok0wdev.png

Talented.

#019 Day6 - Days Gone By

DZPUqdJ.png

Incredible.

#018 fromis_9 - Love Bomb

xitzeeK.png

Brilliant.

#017 Troye Sivan - My My My!

ubeDbVI.png

Amazing.

#016 Key - Honest

gkjKJZR.png

Show-stopping.

#015 Vixx - Trigger

5KRYrAp.png

Spectacular.

#014 Jonghyun - Take the Dive

p2hcTUE.png

Never the same.

#013 Exo-CBX - Lazy

MeBx6l6.png

Totally unique.

#012 Jonghyun - Only One You Need

9cK72MR.png

Completely not ever been done before.

#011 SHINee - Who Waits for Love

K4ama7C.png

Unafraid to refrence OR not reference.

#010 Cassie - Don’t Play It Safe

osGIw9l.png

Surprise bitch. Also: Put it in a blender.

#009 Janelle Monae - Americans

r0eHoPN.png

**** on it.

#008 SHINee - Tell Me Your Name

9iI732x.png

The beat, the TLC reference, Jonghyun's moan during the pre-chorus... :jonny5:

#007 BoA - U&I

NXWfy7B.png
Hey there, Taylor’s “Style”, Ari’s “Love Me Harder” and Tove Lo’s “True Disaster”, please say hello to your new sibling: “U&I”! From the very first synth, “U&I” is captivating and vibrant, with every single one of BoA’s vocals steeped in a whirlwind of electronic waves and 80s-tinged melodies. By the time the Kylie-esque spoken-word verse arrives, the deal is sealed. The cherry on top comes, as is so often the case with BoA, in the form of the singer’s determined, full-throated vocal blasts that sometimes come out as pleadings (“BEND THE UNIVERSE!”), other times as passionate assertions ("niga nal minneun daero / nado neoreul mideul geoya, alright, ah yeah"). “U&I” embodies everything that there is to love about big, bold (and more often than not, Swedish) dance-pop music. Viva la BoA!

#006 Troye Sivan - Bloom

XsACrvh.png

Vomit on it.

#005 Triple H - Retro Future

LaqB6zU.png

Eat it.

#004 Taeyeon - Something New

6H75CN7.png

Give birth to it.

#003 Sunmi - Siren 

DQ6AxAu.png

Song good.

#002 Red Velvet - Bad Boy 

yVeQ0dw.png
Don’t let the SMophobes in the K-Pop thread fool you: This song is EVERYTHING you think it is. I must admit, when I first listened to this song (after seeing everyone and their mother proclaim it as the second coming of Jesus for months on end), I was… not impressed. Disappointed even. I thought: “HA! FAD VELVET.” “WENDELL OVERWEIGHT”. “YES RaciSM YES BAD MUSIC.” But golly, how SINFUL those thoughts were! A few more listens would eventually reveal to me the full extent of the greatness that is Bible Boy: The “ooh-ooh oh wee oh wee oh”s which sound like a serial killer mockingly imitating police sirens as if to tell their victim-to-be “Ha bitch, you WISH they were gonna come for you.” That ominous instrumental which sounds like a “party in the Upside Down” as someone has said so eloquently in a YouTube comment section. That almost-whispered first section of the second verse. The Mariah’d “hooo-hoooooo” (if it’s courtesy of Wendell ignore this) ad-lib in the final chorus. “Hoo.. hmm-mm.. hoo-oo… hmm… HEY!”. That bridge. OH MY GOD, THAT BRIDGE. Anyone who denounces this song is NOT a child of God and deserves to be a BangTwice hybrid stan for lifetime. (Also the English version snaps SUE ME)

#001 Robyn - Missing U 

6Qvi4cX.png

Yes.

So this is coming like 2 weeks late. I was gonna write proper paragraphs for each of the songs in this final bunch but in the end I just thought "**** it"

mcf.gif

So there you go this was my first ever best-of gcvhh

Thanks to EVERYONE who posted in this thread and participated, lysm and hope to see y'all in the future as well :heart2:

Below a recap of the entire Top Songs list & a Spotify playlist containing all the songs can be found:

#100-81: 
#100 Benjamin Ingrosso - So Good So Fine When You’re Messing With My Mind
#099 Exo - Love Shot
#098 BoA - Always, All Ways (feat. Chancellor)
#097 Onew - Shine on You
#096 Exo - With You
#095 Tinashe - Fires and Flames
#094 Lady Gaga - Heal Me
#093 Hayley Kiyoko - Curious
#092 Sabrina Carpenter - Bad Time
#091 Ciara - Dose
#090 Ariana Grande - God is a woman
#089 Mariah Carey - A No No
#088 J-Hope - Daydream
#087 Alice Chater - Hourglass
#086 SHINee - Drive
#085 Troye Sivan - Lucky Strike 
#084 Mariah Carey - The Distance
#083 Dinah Jane - Bottled Up 
#082 Years & Years - If You’re Over Me (feat. Key)
#081 Red Velvet - Power Up

#80-61:
#080 Kylie Minogue - Every Little Part of Me
#079 Ariana Grande - thank u, next
#078 Chanyeol & Sehun - We Young
#077 BoA - I Want You Back
#076 Rita Ora - New Look
#075 Red Velvet - Butterflies
#074 Jonghyun - Rewind
#073 Hayley Kiyoko - Under the Blue / Take Me In
#072 Camila Cabello - Inside Out
#071 SHINee - All Day All Night
#070 Kim Petras - All the Time
#069 Charli XCX - 1999
#068 Jonghyun - I’m So Curious
#067 Pentagon - Shine
#066 BTS (Jungkook) - Euphoria
#065 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
#064 Tinashe - Ooh La La
#063 Charli XCX - Focus
#062 The 1975 - TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME
#061 Key - Imagine

#60-41:
#060 Vixx - Scentist
#059 Exo - Gravity
#058 The 1975 - Love It If We Made It
#057 Key - Forever Yours (feat. Soyou)
#056 Ariana Grande - breathin
#055 BoA - Camo
#054 Taeyeon - Baram X 3
#053 Exo-CBX - Blooming Day
#052 Years & Years - All for You
#051 Exo-CBX - Sweet Dreams
#050 SHINee - Electric
#049 Years & Years - Hallelujah
#048 Sunmi - Heroine
#047 Jonghyun - Just for a Day
#046 Kylie Minogue - Sincerely Yours
#045 Twice - Sunset
#044 Jonghyun - Shinin’
#043 Kim Petras - Turn Off the Light (feat. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark)
#042 BTS - Anpanman
#041 Janelle Monae - Pynk (feat. Grimes)

#40-21:
#040 Tinashe - Me So Bad (feat. Ty Dolla $ign & French Montana)
#039 MNEK - Tongue
#038 Janelle Monae - Crazy, Classic, Life
#037 SHINee - Jump
#036 BoA - Good Love
#035 The 1975 - It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You)
#034 Lady Gaga - I’ll Never Love Again
#033 Vixx - Odd Sense
#032 Phantoms & Vanessa Hudgens - Lay With Me
#031 Baekhyun & Loco - Young
#030 Kim Petras - Can’t Do Better
#029 Exo-CBX - Vroom Vroom
#028 SHINee - Lock You Down
#027 Troye Sivan - Plum 
#026 NCT U - Baby Don’t Stop
#025 SHINee - Good Evening
#024 BoA - One Shot, Two Shot
#023 Key - Easy to Love
#022 No Rome - Narcissist (feat. The 1975)
#021 Apink - I’m So Sick

#20-1:
#020 Janelle Monae - Screwed (feat. Zoë Kravitz)
#019 Day6 - Days Gone By
#018 fromis_9 - Love Bomb
#017 Troye Sivan - My My My! 
#016 Key - Honest 
#015 Vixx - Trigger
#014 Jonghyun - Take the Dive
#013 Exo-CBX - Lazy
#012 Jonghyun - Only One You Need
#011 SHINee - Who Waits for Love
#010 Cassie - Don’t Play It Safe
#009 Janelle Monae - Americans
#008 SHINee - Tell Me Your Name 
#007 BoA - U&I 
#006 Troye Sivan - Bloom 
#005 Triple H - Retro Future
#004 Taeyeon - Something New 
#003 Sunmi - Siren 
#002 Red Velvet - Bad Boy 
#001 Robyn - Missing U

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4SFmfnSyY4d5kln2KYM0YH

On 1/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, Red Light said:

The BoA stannage. :heart2: Really good write-up for Power Up btw!

(Uber late replies incoming

8aca3598d359cf655307662bec5ffbd5.png)

ofc we LOVE a legend :heart2: Ty, glad to see there are some fellow Power Up apologists around these parts!

On 1/5/2019 at 10:48 PM, potent said:

Plum is my favorite from these two sets. INLA is okay, Dirty Computer has some great songs but CCL is not really the tea :gaycat3:

UGH, STAN PLUM. A hymn! Thx for stopping by! :gaycat3:

C ya guys in December or sth

JR1.png

Americans is so under appreciated, definitely one of the best songs of DC :jonny5:

Screwed and My My My :clap3: 

Great #1 , it almost made my top 10.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.