Beyonnaise's Best Of 2018 | Top 10 songs (Ariana & Lana won)

Beyonnaise

This is my very first Best Of list. I liked a good amount of music this year and felt like it was time to start. I'm bad at graphics on here and a lot of the other bells and whistles that make these lists visually appealing but you know what? We're just gonna run with it.

Here's how it will go:

-Top 50 songs (revealed in groups of ten)

TOP 50 SONGS (First ten)

50. Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho

Is this a good song, objectively speaking? Well, not really. However, in a year when a song entitled “SAD!” shot to #1 the week after the brutal murder of a massively popular serial abuser, I appreciated Ms. Max taking us down memory lane to a simpler time in the poposphere. A big, unapologetic pop chorus full of “ma ma ma ma”s actually sounded refreshing on playlists like Today’s Top Hits. The production and vibe being a blatant The Fame pastiche didn’t go over as badly as it could have, and at the least, made me interested in what else her and Cirkut plan on bringing to the table on her debut.

49. ILOVEFRIDAY – Mia Khalifa

To preface this, two things: 1. I really don’t care enough to support or not support the message of this song in the slightest and 2. the guy’s verses are straight up tragic. But years later when I think back to fall semester 2018, one of my most vivid memories will be drunkenly watching Tik Tok compilations with my friends at 2 AM after a night out and the sheer joy that came over each of us every time an absurd rendition of “HIT OR MISS? I GUESS THEY NEVER MISS HUH?” appeared on the screen. As time goes on, it’s fascinating how meme songs that are essentially just kids f*cking around to get streams and aren’t meant to be taken seriously are often more memorable and engaging than “authentic” music.

48. Silk City – Loud (feat. Goldlink and Desiigner)

Goldlink is one of my favorite rappers and I loved hearing his signature D.C. go-go rhythmic style shine front and center on a Mark Ronson/Diplo song.

47. Ravyn Lenae – 4 Leaf Clover (feat. Steve Lacy)

Something I realized when I first heard this is how it’s essentially a classic R&B duet transplanted into 2018. The slightly off-kilter, funky instrumental accompanies Ravyn’s confessional lyrics and harmonies very well.

46. Mac Miller – Ladders

It was bittersweet seeing a critical and fan reevaluation of Mac’s latest (and final) effort after his tragic death. It was perhaps the most blatant example of how social media can go from labeling someone an embarrassing flop to misunderstood angel in an instant. Nonetheless, I loved this tune because it showcased melodic funk and jazz elements that showcased how imaginative of a musician he was. I hope to see his influence reverberate in hip-hop, especially amongst the sea of rappers who can’t seem to escape the trap bubble.

45. Mark Ronson – Nothing Breaks Like a Heart (feat. Miley Cyrus)

I think I have a pretty nuanced view of Miley as a musician: very talented singer, excels at pop rock and country, interesting thematically; also culturally exploitative, inconsistent, and a pretty mediocre songwriter. When she is good though, she hits it out of the park. One of my favorite things about this song is how not-current it sounds. The “crash in the dark” and “spin round in the bar” ad-libs reminded me of something from the 60’s, like The Mamas and the Papas. Very catchy, twangy disco-infused pop. I would like to hear more like this from her on her upcoming album.

44. Phony Ppl – Way Too Far.

The opening track from the neo-soul group’s latest album is a very dreamy and captivating cut. The instrumental and harmonies reminded me a lot of Tyler, the Creator’s Flower Boy; it could have fit right on that album.

43. Troye Sivan – Dance to This (feat. Ariana Grande)

The detached yet intimate vibe of this song is so lush and pleasing. It’s interesting how Troye and Ariana are both are nearly whispering throughout a lot of it, yet it doesn’t sound like either are trying to be sexy. A very understated yet passionate love song. Sidenote: I love the video.

42. GFRIEND – Time for the Moon Night

To be honest, the majority of Kpop I heard in 2018 sounded pretty lackluster and unimaginative compared to some of the more interesting songs from it that I came across the previous two years. But this GFRIEND single felt catchy and dreamy and upon first listen. Their voices and the violins blend well together, and it had high replay value for me.

41. Calvin Harris – Promises (feat. Sam Smith and Jessie Reyez)

This song is a good case for why Sam Smith should ditch the tired soul ballads and try something interesting like disco or garage house, though it’s frustrating how he only sees it worthy enough of doing it on a feature and not an album of his. It makes his voice sound much less grating. My favorite part of the song is Jessie’s static delivery of “tonight” in the middle chorus; it sounds like it shouldn’t work given the melody but its placement is perfect. Also: another case of the music video helping me like the song.

Edited by Beyonnaise

Top 50 Songs

50. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho

49. ILOVEFRIDAY - Mia Khalifa

48. Silk City - Loud (feat. Goldlink and Desiigner)

47. Ravyn Lenae - 4 Leaf Clover (feat. Steve Lacy)

46. Mac Miller - Ladders

45. Mark Ronson - Nothing Breaks Like a Heart (feat. Miley Cyrus)

44. Phony Ppl - Way Too Far.

43. Troye Sivan - Dance to This (feat. Ariana Grande)

42. GFRIEND - Time for the Moon Night

41. Calvin Harris - Promises (feat. Sam Smith and Jessie Reyez)

40. Roosevelt - Forgive (feat. Washed Out)

39. KIDS SEE GHOSTS - Kids See Ghosts (feat. Yasiin Bey)

38. Far Caspian - Finding My Way Home

37. Matty - Butter

36. Anderson .Paak - Tints (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

35. Ciara - Level Up

34. Selena Gomez - Back to You

33. Grimes - We Appreciate Power (feat. HANA)

32. Kiana Ledé - Shame

31. BLACKPINK - See U Later

30. Pusha T – If You Know You Know

29. Slayyyter – BFF (feat. Ayesha Erotica)

28. Julia Holter – Underneath the Moon

27. Sunmi – Black Pearl

26. Pardison Fontaine – Backin' It Up (feat. Cardi B)

25. Hatchie – Sleep

24. St. Vincent – Fast Slow Disco

23. CupcakKe – Cartoons

22. Luísa Sonza – Devagarinho

21. Beach House – Drunk in LA

20. The Carters – SUMMER

19. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa – One Kiss

18. Becky G & Natti Natasha – Sin Pijama

17. DJ Koze – Pick Up

16. Christina Aguilera – Accelerate (feat. Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz)

15. Rosalía – Que No Salga La Luna

14. Billie Eilish – You Should See Me In A Crown

13. Kali Uchis – Miami (feat. BIA)

12. Kero Kero Bonito – If I’d Known

11. Red Velvet – Bad Boy

10. Ariana Grande – God Is A Woman

9. Charli XCX – No Angel

8. Mariah Carey – The Distance (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

7. The 1975 – Sincerity Is Scary

6. Janelle Monáe – Make Me Feel

5. Travis Scott – SICKO MODE (feat. Drake)

4. Cardi B – Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)

3. Kacey Musgraves – Slow Burn

2. Lana Del Rey – Mariners Apartment Complex

1. Ariana Grande – No Tears Left to Cry

Edited by Beyonnaise

• ATRL Moderator

Can't wait to see Camila Cabello make up the entire top 10 .

You have the best takes on this site and I love your write-ups.:duca:

I honestly forgot about Time for the Moonnight but I loved it from first listen. It has this epic feel that few popular k-pop songs have.

Ravyn's entire EP was a slay.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:08 PM, madonnas said:

Can't wait to see Camila Cabello make up the entire top 10 .

The total # of tracks on her album :heart2: Come to think of it a Worst Of toward the end might be fun

On 12/18/2018 at 10:07 PM, Vine101 said:

You have the best takes on this site and I love your write-ups.:duca:

I honestly forgot about Time for the Moonnight but I loved it from first listen. It has this epic feel that few popular k-pop songs have.

Ravyn's entire EP was a slay.

Thanks sis, I always like hearing your analysis as well :heart2: There's more Kpop on my list but I felt like a lot of songs this year lacked that anthemic feel, you know? It could be me who has to do more digging to find them but those Loona and Twice songs were just :zzz: 

Next ten songs incoming. Just noticed a gender divide between the first five and the latter, unplanned on my part.

Edited by Beyonnaise

• ATRL Moderator

Miley annoys tf out of me.  She's the knd of person who follows trends but doesn't have enough self awareness so manages to think deeper into it than she should hence the "THIS IS THE REAL ME" @ every artistic decision she's ever made.  The song is alright. Interesting Ravyn pick, why not Sticky?  

4 leaf clover, ladders :heart2:
nblah has a very classic but current vibe to it. country/disco work surprisingly well huh 
promises grew on me, i love samantha's sappy ballads but his dance cuts are great as well.

TOP 50 SONGS (Second group)

40. Roosevelt – Forgive (feat. Washed Out)

Probably the highlight track of your heterosexual best friend’s ~summer 18 chillwave vibez~ playlist.

39. KIDS SEE GHOSTS – Kids See Ghosts (feat. Yasiin Bey)

You can’t talk about a Kanye West project from this year without taking into account his bountiful drama and foolishness, from the MAGA hats to the Twitter breakdowns. Kids See Ghosts was his best effort from this era of his career because, within the context of the chaos, he was able to channel it into a grandiose psych rock/rap record, which was really made great by Kid Cudi’s melodies. The highlight to me was the slinking, eerie title track which best achieves the ambiance and ghostly theme they were going for.

38. Far Caspian – Finding My Way Home

Light guitar-driven track, nonetheless cute for night drives on the highway. I like how it builds from a light Bon Iver style opening to a bigger, more feel-good middle and end section.

37. Matty – Butter

This song from the BADBADNOTGOOD member stood out to me more than anything because of the strings. The great instrumental by Frank Dukes really elevated the song into something interesting compared to the “chill pop” playlist filler of its ilk.

36. Anderson .Paak – Tints (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

This funky song actually sounds like it could have been a 70s classic, more so than a lot of the output from this current wave of funk. Kendrick’s verse feels right at home and a lot of fun.

35. Ciara – Level Up

Ci returned to form this year after 2015’s unfortunate Jackie, complete with viral challenges and the return of stan culture’s creator. It’s good to know that the “One Two Step” queen still knows how to make a good dance song with designated room for different choreography parts. Her spitfire delivery in the verses and pre-chorus followed by a countdown timer lets the song build to a satisfying payoff with the repetitive and succinct chorus.

34. Selena Gomez – Back to You

Drag me! I liked this one. Yes generic 2013 Chainsmokers’d drop, yes focus group’d for tween viewers of a bad show. But something overlooked about Selena is how well she emotes longing. She knows her technical vocal limitations and doesn’t stray from her usual register which makes her delivery sound confessional. In the verses and prechorus you can hear her pining for the other person and pondering the cost-benefit analysis of the relationship, something she also did well on “The Heart Wants What It Wants” and “It Ain’t Me”. While I still want her to continue in the more compelling direction of “Fetish” on her next album, this was in my opinion a worthy addition to her canon.

33. Grimes – We Appreciate Power (feat. HANA)

I don’t think any of us saw the Grimes drought of the past three years resulting in a highly publicized relationship with a controversial billionaire and an Evanescence-sounding punk track inspired by the North Korean state girl band, but alas. I like that Claire isn’t just toying with us with punk sounds and that she’s committing to it full on. For this reason, I like how messy the instrumental is; it wouldn’t work if it was too pristine sounding. The vocal inflection on HANA’s “backed up, backed up on a drive” at the end of the bridge feels like a definite callback to early-2000s rock. The lyrics are what you’d expect from worshippers of an authoritarian regime subtly warning listeners of the simulation they are a part of. If this is a concept she wants to continue on the album, it would be cool to hear Grimes later end up revolting against The Powers That Be. That way the song would sound more whole within the wider context.

32. Kiana Ledé – Shame

I think a lot of young R&B girls struggle with carving out an identity just because of how quick listeners are to classify them as “a Janet”, “a SZA”, “a Beyonce”, “a Cassie”, etc., whether the intention is to praise or dismiss them. In this track, Kiana stands out by utilizing the range of her pretty voice, showing character and letting her personality shine through. The second verse alone shows her fluttery upper register evoking gentleness while her nearly-spoken lower register shows sass. It helps that the beat sounds luxurious.

31. BLACKPINK – See U Later

What makes BLACKPINK stand out is that they know how to bring the fire. There’s always a commanding sense of fun involved. This kissoff track lets all four girls stand front and center without overpowering one another. There’s a noise in the pre-chorus that sounds like a loud crowd shouting “WHAT”, which makes me envision of a stadium full of people hyping them up. It feels anthemic, as does “See ya later, maybe never?”. The phrasing of it as a question feels like the ultimate dismissal, Regina George style.

Edited by Beyonnaise

oh i'll be staying tuned for this.

i'm kinda surprised you taste is so urban, i thought you were a full pop stan (probably from the k-pop)

Time For The Moon is amazing, the strings :smitten: 

• ATRL Moderator

Glad to see Level Up praise anywhere.  I don't really think Jackie was THAT bad.  It's just compared to self titled, it sounds weak.  But I mean compared to self titled even beyonce's s/t sounds weak. 

omg sorry y'all I have no idea how to format spoilers into separate groupings

53 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

oh i'll be staying tuned for this.

i'm kinda surprised you taste is so urban, i thought you were a full pop stan (probably from the k-pop)

Time For The Moon is amazing, the strings :smitten: 

I got more into rap last year after Tyler the Creator's last album. I think next year might be an IT year for pop though (Ms. Grande, Swift, Jepsen, Rihanna, etc.) so I'm looking forward to that.

16 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Glad to see Level Up praise anywhere.  I don't really think Jackie was THAT bad.  It's just compared to self titled, it sounds weak.  But I mean compared to self titled even beyonce's s/t sounds weak. 

Honestly true. I'd probably have much less skips playing Ciara (2013) than Beyonce (2013). Jackie was frustrating because it felt to middling.

2 hours ago, mokitsu said:

4 leaf clover, ladders :heart2:
nblah has a very classic but current vibe to it. country/disco work surprisingly well huh 
promises grew on me, i love samantha's sappy ballads but his dance cuts are great as well.

I honestly wonder what kind of an artist Sam would be if Adele wasn't so huge. He'd be a lot more interesting if him and his label weren't so adamant on the ballads.

2 hours ago, Bxtch said:

Dance To This :heart2: 

I usually like GFRIEND title tracks, but TFTMN was kinda a let down for me :'( 

I think it would be nice to hear more immediate pop songs from GFRIEND like Love Whisper again, I did like how they changed it up a bit with the strings on TFTMN though. The rest of their mini wasn't really the tea though.

Edited by Beyonnaise

• ATRL Moderator

multi quote everything

put it in the reply box

highlight all (ctrl+a or cmmd+a)

copy

delete

put the spoiler tag on top

paste

put /spoiler on bottom.

tints is so good, sad oxnard was kinda trash

ciara came back with heat, so high energy

back to you... :skull: her worst single since she started making good music

we appreciate power is a guilty pleasure bop :katie2: 

• 3 weeks later...

Mess at me kind of forgetting I was doing this when I went to visit family for the holidays

giphy.gif

Next ten songs and first five albums incoming

Time for the Moon Night finally getting that deserved recognition. :clap3:Yuju's high note at the end of the bridge >>>

TOP 50 SONGS (Third group)

30. Pusha T – If You Know You Know

The introduction to DAYTONA is a bold, take-no-prisoners approach. Flowing with energy, Pusha reminds us why he made a name for himself in hip-hop as a deliverer of killer bars. Kanye’s classic production style sounds anthemic and sets a great tone for the rest of the record.

29. Slayyyter – BFF (feat. Ayesha Erotica)

(I was gonna just add a standard audio video but I found this cool unofficial visual that matches the ~aesthetic~). The fusion of In The Zone-era Britney and current Charli XCX gelled really well in this bop. I like how Slayyyter and Ayesha, as students of the pop they grew up with, seem to know the value of a big chorus as the focal point to mold the rest of the song around. I’m eager to hear more from the duo this year.

28. Julia Holter – Underneath the Moon

The abstract production and chaotic sounds of Aviary seem to reach a fever pitch in this track. The opening lines help me envision her stepping out into a new world for the first time and experiencing a spiritual rebirth. “Hysteria, hysteria, collapse and get up again” gives a sense of self-reassurance. I will say the opening and middle parts of this track are more engaging sonically than the last, but overall it flows well.

27. SUNMI – Black Pearl

While most praise went towards the infectious “Siren”, this was the song that impressed me most from this acclaimed Kpop release. I’m a sucker for well-placed horns that help me visualize a big city as the song’s setting. Along with the restrained disco beat, the hot guitar riff, and Sunmi’s vocals, it’s all a winning combination. Hearing this type of sonic inventiveness makes me excited about her as an artist.

26. Pardison Fontaine – Backin' It Up (feat. Cardi B)

Cardi does upstage Pardi on this song, but his opening verse serves its purpose. In fact, I like how this shows that a guy and a girl can dually contribute good things to a rap song, something we don’t see too often these days. Lines like “Cardi B, bad bitch, those is f**king synonyms!” exemplify how cutting and memorable her wordplay is. The beat is fire and it has very high replay value.

25. Hatchie – Sleep

In discovering Hatchie earlier this year, I took notice of how her songs live in such a dreamy world that never falls out of focus. Compared to an act like Purity Ring, though, she has a bit of a grit to her voice which makes things more interesting because vocally it still works very well with the vibe. Specifically, her delivery here (and throughout the EP) and the way she switches between her upper and lower register reminds me of Dolores O’Riordan from The Cranberries (RIP queen). The dream landscape of Hatchie’s world is so pleasing from an auditory perspective.

24. St. Vincent – Fast Slow Disco

This reinterpretation of a pretty meh MASSEDUCTION cut was such a wise decision (thanks Taylor :heart2:). The dark synths and ghoulish, distorted background vocals are electrifying. Within the narrative of wanting to leave a club or party, Annie’s emotionally charged vocals burst in a way the piano version didn’t fully allow and the song reaches maximum fulfillment.

23. CupcakKe – Cartoons

She ATE this off-kilter beat. She makes punching with her rapid fire bars sound like it’s so easy. The build when she says “ring around the rosie, pockets look like guacamole, ***** good just like Chipotle, you look like a holey moley” is so ANTHEMIC. I love how all the callbacks to Flintstones, Tom & Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Smurfs, and Johnny Bravo include some sort of well thought out reference. What a ride.

22. Luísa Sonza – Devagarinho

Oh this banger. Ms. Luíisa did not come to play. It makes me feel like I’m on ecstasy in a Brazilian club at 3 AM, something I’ve sadly never experienced.

21. Beach House – Drunk in LA

Like my earlier Hatchie pick, this song transports the listener to a different dimension. Here though, it feels like you're floating through the atmosphere in some sort of trance that you don’t want to end. Seriously I don’t know how this is only a four minute song. It just glides so effortlessly. The guitars come in at the perfect time. The overall vibe is not happy or sad, it exists in its own plane of emotional reflection.

Edited by Beyonnaise

omg I never listened to Black Pearl until now WTF! :weeps: It's excellent! It's so subtle and non-generic and the sax riffs are so well utilized. I'm pissed now. :toofunny2: Gashina was like my least favorite song of 2017. Idk what transpired between then and now but I'm really liking the direction she's going in. :eek:

TOP 50 SONGS (Fourth group)

20. The Carters – SUMMER

Everything Is Love was super underwhelming and had no replay value for me outside of three tracks. Yet, this luxurious, west coast R&B is exactly what I’ve wanted to hear from Beyonce for a long time. It’s totally her song, Jay’s verse is fine though. His “let it breathe” ad-libs are imperative because that’s what this song is doing; in an album full of Migos-esque trap production they’re letting the music breathe for a moment, restrained in exactly the right way.

19. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa – One Kiss

In watching EDM evolve over the last few years, we’ve seen the gradual disappearance of those big cheesy bass drops that cluttered the airwaves in 2012-13. Now, the most satisfying payoffs in a song come from vocal moments guiding the producer to a euphoric place. Dua's midrange vocal gels really well with the 90s house elements. Calvin is starting to really take cues from garage house which I'm enjoying because it makes everyone want to turn it OUT at a club or party.

18. Becky G & Natti Natasha – Sin Pijama

This song is so fun to listen to. The melodies are enjoyable and I like that it gives room for a catchy pop chorus as well as a reggaeton break in the verses. Those ching-ching-ching's are my favorite touch. Also the lyrics? Kind of the feminist statement of 2018. Latina legends are owning their sexuality.

17. DJ Koze – Pick Up

The song’s brilliance comes from it being built around that Gladys Knight & the Pips sample. The steady, pulsating rhythm and low bass paired with the lyrics of longing and heartbreak results in an enjoyable melancholia. What really gets me is at the 4:40 mark when it takes you out of focus for a moment and her vocals come back in. It sounds like hearing the song playing from downstairs at a party, detached for a moment from the joy that you’re eager to feel.

16. Christina Aguilera – Accelerate (feat. Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz)

Whenever a pop girl releases a polarizing lead single, I tend to love it. I don’t know why. There’s honestly nothing wrong with this song in my book, it’s a total serve from start to finish. The way Legend X and Ty trade off their lines in the verses is everything. I really like what Kanye did with the mix, from the purring bass sound to the punchy synths. Also filed under: really fun to listen to while driving.

15. Rosalía – Que No Salga La Luna

Rosalía’s vocal runs and the mariachi instrumentation sound pristine and breathtakingly beautiful on this song. I love the way it switches off between the accompaniment of the clapping and the more subdued vocal parts. As she explained, it’s about the dark side of being engaged to someone and losing a part of yourself in the process, something she emotes so well. It truly sounds like there’s something being taken away from her and she isn’t sure how to cope with it. The telenovela dramatics, whew I love it.

14. Billie Eilish – You Should See Me In A Crown

My favorite thing about this is the final Crrrrown when the last chorus hits. It sounds so sinister and effective. The intricacies of the production are really cool; that bridge part is all over the place. I definitely hear the influence of Lorde’s “Yellow Flicker Beat”, but she pushes it a step further. It's a teenage power trip and she sells it with her cold delivery. The song is great and I definitely didn’t think she had it in her. I like being proven wrong.

13. Kali Uchis – Miami (feat. BIA)

Kali sets the scene of Isolation with this slinky, tropical track. While presenting the rampant realities of drugs and prostitution in Miami, she owns her narrative by proclaiming that she'll be making money her own way. She posits the city as a beacon of endless possibilities for herself, not only as an immigrant but also as a creative. BIA’s verse pairs perfectly, not only for the imagery but the theme of getting what you want as a woman. The song reads as a warning: try to undermine Kali and you'll see what happens next.

12. Kero Kero Bonito – If I’d Known

What makes KKB special is how Sarah’s saccharine voice can sound both childlike and complex. Here she ponders what life would have been like if she had chosen a different path. The fusion of noise rock and bitpop that the band has started ushering into their music is on full display. While it’s notably more lowkey than the rest of the album, it stood out to me most due to the perfect marriage of the reflective narrative, feel-good vibe, and unique instrumentation.

11. Red Velvet – Bad Boy

That CHORUS. Ooh-way-oh-way-oh :heart2: Shot another bad boy doooown :heart2: The song is a burst of sticky melodies that hits all of my pleasure centers. It’s not overly cutesy though, a problem I’ve had with them before. There’s a more mature, seductive underbelly to the song that doesn’t feel forced. They know what they want and they’re aiming for it with precision.

Edited by Beyonnaise

On 12/20/2018 at 5:24 PM, mokitsu said:

tints is so good, sad oxnard was kinda trash

ciara came back with heat, so high energy

back to you... :skull: her worst single since she started making good music

we appreciate power is a guilty pleasure bop :katie2: 

Oxnard was really disappointing. I loved Malibu so it was kind of shocking how few songs I could say I really liked from it.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:54 AM, Dom said:

hatchie's sleep is so good, such a dream pop excellence.

Her whole EP was like floating on a cloud. I need a full album.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, Red Light said:

omg I never listened to Black Pearl until now WTF! :weeps: It's excellent! It's so subtle and non-generic and the sax riffs are so well utilized. I'm pissed now. :toofunny2: Gashina was like my least favorite song of 2017. Idk what transpired between then and now but I'm really liking the direction she's going in. :eek:

Sis it's so good. Gashina was meh, I agree but I really like the different sounds she's incorporating into her mixes. She's showing the other Kpop girlies that you don't have to be overly cutesy or a bad bitch all the time.

@Beyonnaise I was off this site for a couple weeks so I'm just seeing this but lemme get into it rq.

Kero Kero :heart2: altho my personal fave off the album is between Swimming or Make Believe. 

I agree, there's something so naturally sexy about Bad Boy. It helps that most of the members have this low vocal that's uncommon in k-pop girls.

Miami is Kali her best song. The chorus is so euphoric.

The only thing I've been listening to lately is Hatchie's EP. You're totally right about the Cranberries' influence (I also get Mazzy Star teas).

I feel like I'm in 80's vice city Miami when I listen to Black Pearl, so so good. 

Beach House won this year.

Need to give Rosalia's album another try but I use Malamente.

I realize I should have finished this in December but life happens. Anyway, here's the ten best songs of the year...

TOP 50 SONGS (Fifth group)

10. Ariana Grande – God Is A Woman 

Making a bold statement in pop is hard today, as much as we as stans would like to think otherwise in demanding more effort from our pop girls’ output. The main problem is that everything’s been done before. But I appreciate Ariana taking a big swing with this one while dually aware that she’s not reinventing the wheel. While not “Like A Prayer” level anthemic, the song ended up being a slinky, sexy jam. Ariana seduces a man and deifies herself, relishing in the power she holds over him. It was the smartest and most interesting take on the on the midtempo semi-urban song that ruled the airwaves this year. Plus the video was visually great and bumped the song into A+ territory.

9. Charli XCX – No Angel 

I’d been awaiting this banger since she started performing it in 2016. The studio version ended up being pitched lower but still just as fulfilling. What caught my ear about this song is that she isn’t trying to convince us she’s a bad bitch you shouldn’t f**k with, something she’s done successfully before. She’s making a plea to her love interest that she promises to change despite her reputation and vices, which is an engaging narrative. I also love how Charli isn’t sacrificing the bouncy pop we love her for while also adapting to the current rhythmic music climate.

8. Mariah Carey – The Distance (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

I knew I would love this song the second I heard the cheer chants at the start. Skrillex and Poo Bear set the tone but Mariah takes us on a ride to a dazzling bliss. Vocally she hasn’t sounded better on a song in years. Ty, like on many of his other features, serves as a hypeman throughout the first half but uses his rhythmic vocals for a pleasing middle eight. I also love the focus of long term relationships, something often hoped for in songs but fully celebrated here.

7. The 1975 – Sincerity Is Scary

Here Matty pulls back the veneer on his online persona to show a more realistic side of himself that comes off as uncool in comparison to how he seems on Instagram, but it’s nonetheless honest. He explores the conflicts that amount in a relationship when that persona is dropped and reality sets in. Beyond social media I see it as a commentary on fame as well, since he’s acknowledging that the person he reveals to his lover isn’t the archetypal character they may have expected he would be. I think from a band that has relied so much on their aesthetic presentation, it’s kind of a radical song in that sense. In terms of production, it’s also their most ambitious song, incorporating a gospel choir, horns, drums, piano, and several other layered instruments that mesh well together.

6. Janelle Monáe – Make Me Feel

Prince’s funk influences are still reverberating through pop after his death, no further than in Janelle’s music. But here it’s less so imitation of him than fully embodying the best parts of his music and putting her own futuristic flair on it. Hearing her burst through the beat with "It’s like I’m powerful with a little bit of tender" and then restrain herself on the chorus is delectable. The replay value on this song is feverishly high.

5. Travis Scott – SICKO MODE (feat. Drake)

The structure of this song is wild and enjoyable. Travis steps up to the task of jumping between the three different sections, with his bold, braggadocios middle verse being the best of his career thus far. Swae Lee’s ad-libs are fun. It’s also Drake’s best song of the past year, even if a few of his lines are eyeroll worthy. Also when I saw the number of writers I kinda screamed because lyrically it’s not really interesting or complex at all. Nonetheless, no other music moment from this year felt as exhilarating as watching people lose it at a party when that bouncy transition to the second part comes on. It’s honestly just a banger.

4. Cardi B – Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)

This ice cold trap bop was the moment Cardi declared that she’s here to stay. Her lightning fast flow in the final verse is her best to date. That beat is so killer. 21 Savage’s verse reads as kinda gross but his flow fits perfectly. I’ve played this song regularly ever since its release and I think it best defines where music was in 2018. Also the video is one of my favorite in recent memory, it’s Petra Collins’ aesthetic peak.

3. Kacey Musgraves – Slow Burn

Not to be dramatic but this song speaks to my soul. It’s honestly a spiritual experience hearing Kacey reflect on the fast pace of life and come to the realization that it’s ok to achieve goals to at your own speed as long as you take time to stop and smell the roses. Right now in my life when I’m about to graduate and go out into the real world it’s reassuring hearing a message like this, my favorite line being “I know a few things but I’ve still got a lot to learn”.

2. Lana Del Rey – Mariners Apartment Complex 

Songs like this are honestly why I love music. A good song can encapsulate and soundtrack emotions that aren’t easily describable, existing in a space outside of happiness or sadness. When Lana and Jack first teamed up I was unsure of how their sounds would blend but it couldn’t have gone any better. You can tell they’re really not worried about genre or adhering to what people expect from them and just creating what feels right. The folksy, soulful production is lush and feels uplifting. The highlight of the song is the way the last part of the second verse builds, where she expresses doubt, only to then be counteracted by the reassuring chorus. Honestly a perfect song.

1. Ariana Grande – No Tears Left to Cry

No other song felt as conclusive for the year of 2018 to me as No Tears Left To Cry. Ariana found the sweet spot between the melancholia felt in the world currently and a steadfast hope for the future. While I’ve enjoyed her discography thus far, before this song I hadn’t heard her truly project her feelings in a fulfilling way. That burst of a chorus was refreshing to hear. Max’s production sends it into another stratosphere of pleasure and glimmering optimism. I’ll never forget last summer hearing this at 2 AM while inebriated in the back of a car, the mantra of “I’m loving, I’m living, I’m picking it up” cementing itself into my brain. It felt like advice to adhere by from a trusted friend, acknowledging that hardships are bound to come but vowing to stay resilient in the face of them.

Edited by Beyonnaise

On 1/12/2019 at 7:48 PM, Vine101 said:

@Beyonnaise I was off this site for a couple weeks so I'm just seeing this but lemme get into it rq.

Kero Kero :heart2: altho my personal fave off the album is between Swimming or Make Believe. 

I agree, there's something so naturally sexy about Bad Boy. It helps that most of the members have this low vocal that's uncommon in k-pop girls.

Miami is Kali her best song. The chorus is so euphoric.

The only thing I've been listening to lately is Hatchie's EP. You're totally right about the Cranberries' influence (I also get Mazzy Star teas).

I feel like I'm in 80's vice city Miami when I listen to Black Pearl, so so good. 

Beach House won this year.

Need to give Rosalia's album another try but I use Malamente.

Whew taste.

I agree about Red Velvet, vocally they're above their peers; I want to hear them keep experimenting with their voices.

Rosalia's album as a whole is a lot to take in as a whole but I'm very impressed with where she went with it.

Hatchie's voice lends itself to alt rock so I'm eager to hear what she'll do on her next project.

@madonnas @levi_valvi @Dom @Red Light @mokitsu @Bxtch In case y'all were interested where things landed for me :nicole2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.