Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

What's your vocal type?

350 posts in this topic

For ATRL Tenors that sing as a hobby or just for fun.

My voice is lyric tenor. My tone is bright in tone and not heavy. In my lower register (3rd and under octave) my voice is rather small, but it becomes really resonant & strong in the 4th octave, for my belts. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor

LeggeroEdit

Also known as the tenore di grazia, the leggero tenor is essentially the male equivalent of a lyric coloratura. This voice is light, agile, and capable of executing difficult passages of fioritura. The typical leggero tenor possesses a range spanning from approximately C3 to E5, with a few being able to sing up to F5 or higher in full voice. In some cases, the chest register of the leggero tenor may extend below C3. Voices of this type are utilized frequently in the operas of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini and in music dating from the Baroqueperiod.

Lyric

The lyric tenor is a warm graceful voice with a bright, full timbre that is strong but not heavy and can be heard over an orchestra. Lyric tenors have a range from approximately the C one octave below middle C (C3) to the D one octave above middle C (D5). Similarly, their lower range may extend a few notes below the C3. There are many vocal shades to the lyric tenor group, repertoire should be selected according to the weight, colors, and abilities of the voice.

SpintoEdit

The spinto tenor has the brightness and height of a lyric tenor, but with a heavier vocal weight enabling the voice to be "pushed" to dramatic climaxes with less strain than the lighter-voice counterparts. Spinto tenors have a darker timbre than a lyric tenor, without having a vocal color as dark as many (not all) dramatic tenors. The German equivalent of the Spinto fach is the Jugendlicher Heldentenor and encompasses many of the Dramatic tenor roles as well as some Wagner roles such as Lohengrin and Stolzing. The difference is often the depth and metal in the voice where some lyric tenors age or push their way into singing as a Spinto giving them a lighter tone and a Jugendlicher Heldentenortends to be either a young heldentenor or true lyric spinto. Spinto tenors have a range from approximately the C one octave below middle C (C3) to the C one octave above middle C (C5)

DramaticEdit

Also "tenore di forza" or "robusto", the dramatic tenor has an emotive, ringing and very powerful, clarion, heroic tenor sound. The dramatic tenor's approximate range is from the B one octave below middle C (B2) to the B one octave above middle C (B4) with some able to sing up to the C one octave above middle C (C5).[7][page needed] Many successful dramatic tenors though have historically avoided the coveted high C in performance. Their lower range tends to extend into the baritone tessitura or, a few notes below the C3, even down to A♭2. Some dramatic tenors have a rich and dark tonal colour to their voice (such as the mature Enrico Caruso) while others (like Francesco Tamagno) possess a bright, steely timbre.

HeldentenorEdit

The heldentenor (English: heroic tenor) has a rich, dark, powerful and dramatic voice. As its name implies, the heldentenor vocal fach features in the German romantic operatic repertoire. The heldentenor is the German equivalent of the tenore drammatico, however with a more baritonal quality: the typical Wagnerian protagonist. The keystone of the heldentenor's repertoire is arguably Wagner's Siegfried, an extremely demanding role requiring a wide vocal range and great power, plus tremendous stamina and acting ability. Often the heldentenor is a baritone who has transitioned to this fach or tenors who have been misidentified as baritones. Therefore, the heldentenor voice might or might not have facility up to high B or C. The repertoire, however, rarely calls for such high notes.

Bass/Baritone, like in between the 2. In fact, my voice tone suggests Baritone but the notes I could go low can be compared to a Bass so... it’s weird. Some people are the opposite, they sound low but the actual notes are not.

1 minute ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Bass/Baritone, like in between the 2. In fact, my voice tone suggests Baritone but the notes I could go low can be compared to a Bass so... it’s weird. Some people are the opposite, they sound low but the actual notes are not.

Are you a lyric baritone or dramatic?

I've no clue - I've been told I've got a good voice, untrained, but it's high and have range. 

Well I have a baritone range, I guess I'd be a lyric baritone?

I can't sing to save my life tho

My vocal range goes from D2-B4(C5 if I wanted but its unhealthy) - C6

Dramatic Tenor sounds more accurate bc I harmonize low notes well, have a okayish mid range, but great mix, and extreme ease in my falsetto/head voice.

But i'm pretty sure im a baritone with an extensive range.

I don't know but I can go as low as to 2nd octave and as high as up to 6th octave.

Maybe someone can tell me

I know I‘m a mezzo soprano but not sure about the sub-type

I think I'm a lyric tenor but I could be a lyric baritone.

I can sing F2-G4-E5 comfortably. My passagios are around B3/C4 and Eb4/E4.

I don't like my belting voice in the G#4-C5 range because it whiny so I rarely go up that high.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

I think I'm a lyric tenor but I could be a lyric baritone.

I can sing F2-G4-E5 comfortably. My passagios are around B3/C4 and Eb4/E4.

I don't like my belting voice in the G#4-C5 range because it whiny so I rarely go up that high.

You record yourself singing? I wanna hear

14 minutes ago, Armani👑 said:

You record yourself singing? I wanna hear

I got you later on today when I get off work.

16 minutes ago, Keith said:

I got you later on today when I get off work.

Do you have a stronger voice than me or smaller?

9 minutes ago, Armani👑 said:

Do you have a stronger voice than me or smaller?

I think it's slightly bigger.

9 minutes ago, Keith said:

I think it's slightly bigger.

My voice has been smaller than usual lately, tbh in both my belting range and lower notes.

I sung in church last Sunday, and I got the CD. I sing "alto" in the youth choir. There was only 3 of us. The only tenor was oversinging me in all the lower notes, at one point you couldn't even hear me :ahh:I dont think his mic was louder. You'd only hear me on the belts, which weren't very strong in all honesty besides a few very good instances where I'd swell/vocal dynamics.

2 minutes ago, Armani👑 said:

My voice has been smaller than usual lately, tbh in both my belting range and lower notes.

I sung in church last Sunday, and I got the CD. I sing "alto" in the youth choir. There was only 3 of us. The only tenor was oversinging me in all the lower notes, at one point you couldn't even hear me :ahh:I dont think his mic was louder. You'd only hear me on the belts, which weren't very strong in all honesty besides a few very good instances where I'd swell/vocal dynamics.

You got any recordings? If so send them to me. I wanna hear.

I sang in chorus all throughout growing up. I did not sing in college because I had no interest in doing chorus or acapella groups anymore. I kind of diverted from singing as a hobby because I was so focused on school and my career. I’m thinking once I pass the cpa, I will take vocal lessons or something like that. 

But anyway, I’m a baritone. I can take my voice higher than a typical bass and lower than a typical tenor; I’ve always kind of been inbetween. I don’t know specifics on what exact notes I can/can’t hit lol.

examples of some songs I sing very well as a guy are Adele’s All I Ask, Beyoncé’s Irreplaceable, Alabama Shakes’ Don’t Wanna Fight, Amy Winehouse’s Rehab. I don’t sing these professionally but I notice my voice shines on these.

male songs I do very well are many Frank Sinatra or Michael Bublé.

contratenor i guess ? idk i can reach as low as D2s but i can also belt reasonably powerful G5s and sometimes up to B5 if i really try and for the head voice/falsetto part i can go up to E6 and above that and a whistle that goes up to G6 (so not much lmfaooooo but it's still soemthing) 

1 minute ago, Keith said:

You got any recordings? If so send them to me. I wanna hear.

I'd have to download the CD.

I do have a recording on my phone I did recently. It's just something simple of a song I recorded recently.