• Legend E

• Wicked

• potent

Top Posters In This Topic

LzeEYfx.png

p9taMrK.png

100. “Fukk Sleep (feat. FKA Twigs)”

A$AP Rocky

Why is it important? Its alternative-inspired production and an unconventional song collaboration. One of the underwhelming project's early standouts came in the form of "Fukk Sleep."

Key Lyric/Bits: Twigs’ cry throughout the track and ethereal verse harmonizing with A$AP’s hook. 

HuAJsU6.png

99. “When I’m With Him”

Empress Of

What's it about? Falling out of love and your partner not noticing.

Why is it important? It’s an excellent example of how to write a pop song in 2018. It’s emotionally honest, straightforward and has a hint of nostalgia. Empress of uses Spanish as her alto ego to express something that is so personal to her.

QmiEoSH.png

98. “No Going Back”

Yuno

Sounds like: The catchy piano melody sounds like the iconic 'Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)' which helps make it an irresistible song.

Key Lyric/Bit: "Maybe you'll know how I feel / La la la, la la la, la la la, la, la, la, la, la"

JuyXfr0.png

97. “Charcoal Baby”

Blood Orange

What's it about? The celebration of the intersexuality of being young, black, and queer in America despite all the trauma.

Key Lyric/Bit: “Can you break sometimes?” (interlude)

A9NDTok.png

96. “Ignorin’”

Omar Apollo

Sounds like: Baby Miguel

Why is it important? He’s making it known that there's potential for a new generation of Chicanos to produce some great soulful R&B.

I'll come back and post the rest, and respond to some comments too

Edited by MP2K

Charcoal Baby is probably my favorite. The intersectionality theme of Negro Swan is great, the production is great but Dev is SO DULL I just don't wanna listen to the album. Omar Apollo sound like my kinda music, I'll give him a spin. 

Edited by Wicked

First time listening to Omar and there are some points he’s making. Honestly I expected a bit more from the twigs collab. 

Charcoal is cool but like Wicked said, I wish all the other album wasn’t so boring to get through.

So many great songs on the HM list :weeps:  I gotta admit that When I'm with Him was initially a huge disappointment but I eventually started appreciating it. Charcoal Baby is Blood Orange at his best :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

Charcoal Baby is one of BO's best. :-*  

I've been meaning to get into BROCKHAMPTON and Janelle Monae since the beginning of this year :rip: My New Years' Resolution is to listen to some more music. 

High Horse deserved better!

I liked Venice Bitch too but I chose Mariners Apartment Complex for my list instead.

Sadly I’m not familiar with the latest set, but some of them sound really intriguing. 

100. “Fukk Sleep (feat. FKA Twigs)”

Why is it important? It features former singer FKA twigs

Period.

No Going Back and Charcoal Baby :heart2:

@KasioKas

It was a discovery to me this year. It's funny because none of the R&B girls have released such a greasy urban bop since and she pretty much didn't get recognition or play.

Well, it was just released as a single so I just tossed it in there, otherwise it would have been on my tracks list :emofish:

@madonnas Perhaps Rico can make the tracks list? That is... if I want to make some arrangements and add ha :clown: There will be some non-Cardi, Nicki, City Girls female rappers making some lists though.

@lhdang2000 I'm not the biggest country fan so Kacey threw me off, just didn't love High Horse too much.

@Wicked @Tom Vercetti Glad ya'll liked Omar, he seems promising. I'm debating on whether to include BO on my albums list, as I agree it's quite forgettable but content wise it matters.

@Wicked What's the tea on Gallant btw?

@theblackestday I honestly did not know about her health scare until you sparked me to look up why she's a "former singer", that's tragic. I hope she is still able to record in the future.

@YUNG RAPUNXEL I discovered Brockhampton through Best of's from last year. So I'm really behind, which is why *spoiler alert* their Dec 2017 stuff will be on my countdown this year and their 2018 might not even make the cut. I recommend their Saturation projects!

@Callisto. I'll punch you in the throat, okay!?

Edited by MP2K

i feel like everything about blood orange is great... except for the music, it just doesn't grab me personally. this was one of his songs that i liked though

myJ12Tg.png

95. “Delicate”

Taylor Swift

What's it about? Liking someone but you’re fearful of your reputation wrecking your potential relationship.

Why is it important? Main pop girls and Top 40 music weren’t it this year. This was a cute song to end an era before Ari takes the crown as reigning pop princess.

nc3yJm3.png

94. “Lost in Japan”

Shawn Mendes

Sounds like: Straight from the Justin Timberlake archives.

Why is it important? This year marks the first time I gave Shawn Mendes a spin. I liked all his singles, but this was the one that caught my attention first. It’s a toe tapper.

JxHUdOP.png

93. “New Love”

Victoria Monet

Sounds like: Summertime 97’ on a Thursday Night watching Black sitcoms on FOX when they were fake progressive n ****.

Why is it important? I had to squeeze in and recognize one of pop music’s biggest songwriter and best friend.

mlmQaxz.png

92. “deep end”

Lykke Li

Why is it important? My feeling is that no one cared for Lykke that much this year? I think Lykke successfully road a thudding trap beat and managed to apply a modified version of her sweeping pop styling.

Key Lyric/Bit: The Pre-Chorus

futWfhV.png

91. “APESHIT”

The Carters

Sounds like: Highbrow Trap… see I created a new genre for the gorls.

Why is it important? Black excellence, cultural dominance and wealth of Music’s biggest union. But I just wanna say no more of this Bey, you ate, but take us back to when you sanged.

Edited by MP2K

Delicate + Apeshit ❤️ 

Apeshit ? Love seeing Empress Of, Blood Orange and Lykke Li. :heart2:

deep end :heart2: the pre-chorus really is the best part which I think is an unpopular opinion?

Delicate. :clap3: 

Lost in Japan is Shawn's best effort so far. :clap3: 

6 | 10

I love Charcoal Baby :cries::jonny:  :alexz:  deserves more

The Carters + Lykke Li :clap3: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.