MusicTalker Takes Out the Trash

Just a Gay on ATRL

Hello hello. I'm gonna change it up a little this year and do some different countdowns:

Top 50 songs of 2018 

1 Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

2 Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry

3 Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss

4 Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All the Stars

5 Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin - I Like It

6 RAYE, Maleek Berry & Nana Rogues - Confidence

7 The Weeknd - Call Out My Name

8 Foster the People - Sit Next to Me (Stereotypes Remix)

9 Ariana Grande - Breathin

10 Normani & Calvin Harris - Slow Down

11 Rita Ora - Only Want You

12 Clean Bandit - Baby (feat. Marina & The Diamonds & Luis Fonsi)

13 Halsey - Without Me

14 Bad Bunny - MIA (feat. Drake)

15 Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

16 DJ Snake - Taki Taki (feat. Ozuna, Cardi B & Selena Gomez)

17 The Weeknd - Try Me

18 Kim Petras - Heart to Break

19 David Guetta, Bebe Rexha & J Balvin - Say My Name

20 The Chainsmokers - Hope (feat. Winona Oak)

21 Normani & Calvin Harris - Checklist (feat. Wizkid)

22 Years & Years - Karma

23 Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

24 Sean Paul - Jet Plane Trip (feat. Stefflon Don)

25 Drake - In My Feelings

26 SG Lewis - Hurting (feat. AlunaGeorge)

27 Normani & 6LACK - Waves

28 Julia Michaels - Heaven

29 Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn

30 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Always Remember Us This Way

31 Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999

32 Foster the People - Worst Nites

33 Years & Years - All for You

34 Drake - Nice for What

35 Little Mix - Wasabi

36 Post Malone - Better Now

37 Ariana Grande - thank u, next

38 Post Malone - Stay

39 SHAED - Trampoline

40 QUAVO - Swing (feat. Normani & Davido)

41 SHAED & snny - You Got Me Like

42 Bas & J. Cole - Tribe

43 No Rome - Narcissist (feat. The 1975)

44 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

45 Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies

46 Ariana Grande - imagine

47 The Weeknd - Wasted Times

48 6LACK - Pretty Little Fears (feat. J. Cole)

49 Billie Eilish - when the party's over

50 Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Just a Gay on ATRL

• Brandon

• Kevin2803

• Mark Rih

Worst 10 songs of 2018 (for the laughs)

10 Favorite gifs, jpgs, or other assortment of meme 

Perched for these :eli: 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished cleaning my itunes library so I have a better idea what the top 50 is.  This will start tomorrow.

@Chemical X. @The Lion King @Brandon @Remmy @Mark Rih It's starting!

TOP 50 SONGS OF 2018: #50-41

50 Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho

This is pretty generic but at the same time, it was refreshing to hear an unabashedly basic pop song do well by a new pop artist in late 2018. This is a very cute debut single and an earworm.  I hate to say it, but it is everything I loved about FameGa (with a sprinkle of TFM-ga).  Hoping she comes into her own in 2019.

49 billie eilish - when the party's over

If I'm keeping it real about Ms. Eyelash, I have a love/hate relationship with what I've heard so far (I looked into her discography the other week). I don't like MOST of her stuff, and lovely is boring imo, but WTPO is the first song she's released that captivated me on first listen. The video is also really amazing. This would make a nice breakout WW hit. It's beautifully sparse and very expressive. I hope she continues having more grand production in songs like this, rather than the empty productions on most of her other songs.

48 6LACK - Pretty Little Fears (feat. J. Cole)

ATRLers are in unison at this point in saying rap in 2018 has become a mess, but 6lack is one of the best kept secrets left standing in modern hip hop (or r&b, he blends seemlessly between the two). I really like his voice and this is one of the best songs on his new album. I hope he finally gets his moment to shine in the next couple of years.

47 The Weeknd - Wasted Times

Tell me what rooftop I have to shout atop from to tell people The Weeknd's spring EP was criminally underrated and I will. One of his strongest works ever imo. This is one of several shoutouts I'll give to this EP in my top 50 because it deserves it.  Enjoy this melancholy piece of quality.

46 Ariana Grande - Imagine

Sweetener album tracks found in critical condition. Ari is feeling her R&B oats here and vocalizing for the gods and giving us everything we want and deserve. I loved this from 1st listen and am happy she had it follow up TUN. I'm very excited for her 5th album to stomp all over the non-Max songs on Sweet nuh uh.

45 Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies

My country queen deserves to win AOTY at the grammys in 2019, but I doubt it. Anyway, she'll get lots of love on my YE list and it starts here! This song is beautiful, airy and light, and well-written. It makes me want to sip lemonade on someone's porch in the summer while staring at my crush. Kacey is really good at storytelling and creating atmosphere and this is a good example of a song that shows off her best talents. This song makes me so happy and nostalgic.

44 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

Everything Million Reasons wasn't and wanted to be. This is is such a great comeback single for Gaga and I'm happy it took off. It's simple yet highly effective and full of raw emotion. She also sounds better than ever and I hear the effects of her vocal training all over the ASIB soundtrack. This is my SECOND favorite song on the album - one more is coming. Try to guess which!

43 No Rome - Narcissist (feat. The 1975)

Very cute song and one of The 1975 songs I think is actually worth the hype. His voice is very well suited for productions like this. I have no idea who No Rome is, but now I do I guess!

42 Bas & J. Cole - Tribe

Another quality rap song in the midst of all the trash this year. Was bummed this did not become a hit but I guess the public ain't in the mood to taste. The verses are rapid fire and the beat is one of the best I heard all year. J Cole really came through with his features this year, even moreso than his own album tbh.

41 SHAED & snny - You Got Me Like

I recently discovered this band through Spotify and their new EP is really great. This is the intro song and it is giving me some R&B electronica teas. Another song that makes me wanna sip lemonade on a porch and forget all my worries. Make it a beach maybe. But yeah, this is such a good way to start a record and this was probably my latest addition to the countdown this year.

Edited by MusicTalker

For fun I'll tell you one that nearly made the Top 50 but I kicked out last minute. Tell me your thoughts:

THE MIDDLE - fun song but I'm so sick of it! Same thing happens to many of Zedd's songs. How do y'all feel about The Middle? Did it deserve a spot over one of the other songs?

I'm actually listening to SBP right now :dies:  Imagine making an appearance despite the fact its so new :jonny:

4 minutes ago, MusicTalker said:

For fun I'll tell you one that nearly made the Top 50 but I kicked out last minute. Tell me your thoughts:

THE MIDDLE - fun song but I'm so sick of it! Same thing happens to many of Zedd's songs. How do y'all feel about The Middle? Did it deserve a spot over one of the other songs?

Glad it was left out tbh. Zedd needs to find a new formula cuz that aint it. It was cute with Stay but that was about it :toofunny3:

Shallow + Butterflies ❤️ :party:

imagine being here already :eek: Wasted Times is cute. For some reason I'm surprised at how hard ATRL is jumping on the Ava bandwagon already :rip: I like that someone's attempting to bring back pure pop but SBP just isn't good. Butterflies :smitten: when the party's over :cries: Shallow :worship: But wow at the Million Reasons shade! I actually prefer MR by quite a bit, one of my favorites in her discography.

As for The Middle: I've definitely seen a very mixed reaction in Best Of, I've always enjoyed the song though. It was insanely overplayed pretty much all year long but since I didn't listen to the radio much, I didn't mind. I also wasn't bothered by it being a Stay copy. Could've easily placed your current #50 :keir:

34 minutes ago, MusicTalker said:

I actually like The Middle a lot. I think it is low key great and Grammy worthy :dies: that being said, I DO think that it’s overplayed. I found Stay kinda late so that Zedd sound wasn’t grating to my ears yet. So I don’t think it deserves a placement but I’m glad you mentioned it.

I LOVE 6LACK. He is so talented, intelligent, and cute. I am excited for him to push some boundaries going forward ( @Navyofbadgals mentioned this in their year-end list) and reach new commercial heights.

Imagine already here :dies: 

Shallow, Butterflies, Wasted Times, when the party's over, Sweet But Psycho :clap3: 

3 hours ago, Chemical X. said:

I actually like The Middle a lot. I think it is low key great and Grammy worthy :dies: that being said, I DO think that it’s overplayed. I found Stay kinda late so that Zedd sound wasn’t grating to my ears yet. So I don’t think it deserves a placement but I’m glad you mentioned it.

I LOVE 6LACK. He is so talented, intelligent, and cute. I am excited for him to push some boundaries going forward ( @Navyofbadgals mentioned this in their year-end list) and reach new commercial heights.

My undeniable impact

5 hours ago, MusicTalker said:

We are glad it missed the top 50 :oh: 

good start btw! Love Wasted Times and Imagine. Butterflies, WTPIO and No Rome are nice too

@Chemical X. @The Lion King @Brandon @Remmy @Mark Rih @Jet @JGibson @rvx @Navyofbadgals @Lazuli

#40-31

40 Quavo - SWING (feat. Normani & Davido)

Normally, I wouldn't have given Quavo's album any time of day, but I do try to at least give stuff a benefit of the doubt and give 1 or 2 initial listens. I was pleasantly surprised by this album track in particular. It's super poppy and very different from the rest of his tracks. Normani's part is of course the highlight and she sounds amazing. I was surprised ATRL didn't give this song more attention but not super mad since Migos is trash overall.

39  SHAED - Trampoline

The breakout song on SHAED's EP and their 2nd and final song to make it into my Top 50! It's very forward-thinking and refreshing for pop music rn and I think it stands out. Hoping it continues to get more popular! 

38 Post Malone - Stay

I need Post to perform this at the Grammys in 2019. Such a good acoustic ballad and a refreshing side to see from Pot. I know he's probably already moving from this era soon, but this song deserves some more attention. This song is sad in all the right ways.

37 Ariana Grande - thank u, next

So... this song is good. Definitely not great. You could've told me it was a bonus track from Yours Truly or My Everything and I wouldn't have batted an eye.  It's a cute bop. I'm perplexed it's maybe her biggest hit ever though, but Ari becoming a pop queen is something I'm not mad at. I'm hoping this is just a cute tease of god-tier pop coming on AG5.

36 Post Malone - Better Now

Not much to say except a full-blown POP bop. It's a shame this didn't go #1 while Psycho did. Choices, America, choices. It's also a choice for that video he released for his most instant smash besides Rockstar.

35 Little Mix - Wasabi

Little Mix has the textbook definition of a MESSY discography. There's really only 2 LM songs I love: Move... and now this. The lyrics are a mess but the production is absolute fire and it's total fun. I want the gay clubs to ***** this out so I can get drunk enough to ignore the lyrics and dance. 

34 Drake - Nice for What

Scorpion is an overstuffed album that basically feels 21-22 useless tracks around 3-4 amazing ones. God's Plan was considered for my list, but just came up short of the Top 50. Nice for What is the first of 2 to show up (you can probably guess the other one already). While most of Scorpion is very Drake following the same formula he's done for years, NFW feels like Drake with a little bit of a new flavor and actually respecting women. Woo, a concept. The Lauryn Hill sample is perfect and that beat drop near the end of the song with Big Freedia yassss.

33 Years & Years - All for You

So nice to see a gay making pop BOPS in mainstream pop music. Y&Y yet again delivered with their sophomore album and it's pretty criminal how overlooked the album was. Where is the gay support?  The whole song is a massive explosion of euphoria from start to finish and that chorus is everything I want in a pop song. 

32 Foster the People - Worst Nites

I fell a bit back in love with Foster the People this year and thought this was a perfect follow-up to Sit Next to Me (Stereotypes Remix). I am really feeling this feel good, kaleidoscope, dreamy pop tea they are starting to serve up more. Worst Nites is another pop song with a massive sound that I felt went undeservedly under the radar. There's still time, stream this so it takes off!

31 Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999

I don't even want Charli to become massive anymore because she is a gay pop princess the GP doesn't deserve. She released several awesome songs this year but 1999 is really the climax. And she brought Troye along for the nostalgia trip. A total fast-paced jam I needed to live during my workouts and liven up my bloodstream. Also, the video is amazing. Charli just always delivers.

Worst Nites + Trampoline :party:

thank u, next :smiley: And wow I HEAVILY agree with your writeup, lowkey thought I was the only one. 1999 :jamming:

Worst Nites :smitten: Such a great one. If you haven't already, listen to their album from last year for more of what you're looking for. They snapped all over that tracklist.

I tried listening to Drake's album and found it mostly boring, but NFW is still a masterpiece, it could've been even higher imo :eli:

Butterflies, Shallow, when the party's over :clap3: Yes Shallow is so much better than MR!

You said what I would've said about tu,n :dies: 

Better Now, 1999 and Wasabi :clap3: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.