Wicked's Best of 2k18 | #1 TV Show Revealed! (pg. 9)

Wicked

Obliterate those hoes!

The only Lykke song I liked from that record was the title track and I'm glad most people are kinda paying it dust cuz I was like "...... really?" when people were hyped on it when it came out.

Filthy... idk I guess I like it the most out of what's listed in your worst list.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicked

• Pink Matter

• Maddox

• Tom Vercetti

To entertain during the gap, I'll drop recaps of my last 3 Best Of's (which were all tragic/basic cause they've all changed by now, a Miley Cyrus tea)

For now I'll just do albums. I didn't do a best of for 2014, but as of today, these are my top 10 albums for that year.

1. Ariel Pink - pom pom
  2. D'Angelo - Black Messiah
  3. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata
  4. Todd Terje - It's Album Time
  5. Rich Gang - Rich Gang: Tha Tour Part 1
  6. Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love
  7. Kelis - FOOD
  8. Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
  9. YG - My Krazy Life
  10. ~idek~

2015 (OG List)

1. Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION 
  2. Vince Staples – Summertime '06
  3. Oneohtrix Point Never – Garden of Delete
  4. GoldLink – And After That, We Didn't Talk
  5. Alex G – Beach Music
  6. Dumblonde – Dumblonde 
  7. Björk - Vulnicura
  8. Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
  9. Neon Indian – VEGA INTL. Night School 
  10. Death Grips – Jenny Death (The Powers That B Disc 2)

2015 (Rihvision)

1. Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School (+8)
  2. Vince Staples - Summertime '06 (-)
  3. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like ****, I Don't Go Outside (DEBUT)
  4. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (+4)
  5. Carly Rae Jepsen - E·MO·TION (-4)
  6. Alex G- Beach Music (-1)
  7. Oneohtrix Point Never – Garden of Delete (-4)
  8. Heather Woods Broderick - Glider (DEBUT)
  9. Holly Herndon - Platform (DEBUT)
  10. Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color (DEBUT)

Note

- Only Platform & S+C (of the debuts) appeared on my original list but were much lower.

Ariel Pink smells. Iceage smell good.

Vulnicura dropping from your revised list is literally disgusting but aside from that both 2015 lists are great; Emotion flopping and Vega Intl. rising– you know what that is? growth. The TPAB snub ain't cute but I'm happy to see Summertime 06, Beach Music and Platform

Edited by theblackestday

Courtney Barnett is still one of the worst artists of the decade. The Weeknd has been rewriting the same song since BBTM. FJM is stale now. Childish Gambimo still only has 2 good songs, this year hasn't changed that.

All true :clap3: 

The Good Place has become so muddled and ugh TEOTFW, it made me feel unpleasant, I hated the dog part, the leads were insufferable and the male lead was a pedo in Black Mirror and I thought about that alot while watching :rip: 

Courtney Barnett is still one of the worst artists of the decade.

Screaming at this, but kind of tea 

Edited by theblackestday

Since 2015

• Vulnicura is doing too much. It's not bad at all + a return to form but every Bjork release post Medulla is such a taxing listen that I don't find rewarding in the long run. I know what will be said cuz Medulla is literally throat music but..idk. I respect the artistry but it's a bit much.
  • I've come to like Joanna Newsom since 2015, I shall revisit Divers soon.
  • Carrie & Lowell is a gutbuster.
  • Earl gained my attention mainly in 2016 --couldn't stand Odd Future-- I was late to the party, but what a great one it is.
  • 2015 was even worse than 2018 :skull: I struggled to revise that top 10 and even then... 
  • Not really 2015-specific, but my listening habits have changed completely. Instead of listening to albums to see which of my personal criteria boxes they "check", now I listen and if the album works then it works; can't judge every album the same. This change was also aided in my bar of trash music getting lower + caused me to recalibrate my RYM ratings, so I'm sure some people probably hate me now. Oops.

2 hours ago, theblackestday said:

Ariel Pink smells. Iceage smell good.

Vulnicura dropping from your revised list is literally disgusting but aside from that both 2015 lists are great; Emotion flopping and Vega Intl. rising– you know what that is? growth. The TPAB snub ain't cute but I'm happy to see Summertime 06, Beach Music and Platform

:lmao: Agreed!

See above for my Vulnicura take. Neon snapped on that, it didn't really hit me till a relisten, but thanks :'(

8 minutes ago, Staryu said:

All true :clap3: 

The Good Place has become so muddled and ugh TEOTFW, it made me feel unpleasant, I hated the dog part, the leads were insufferable and the male lead was a pedo in Black Mirror and I thought about that alot while watching :rip: 

It's weird to describe TEOTFW. It's very easy to watch/finish but... Pretty much! Hopefully with the last 3 episodes TGP can turn things around. It'd be a real shame if they don't since the first two seasons are dope. 

5 minutes ago, theblackestday said:

Screaming at this, but kind of tea 

Poor Courtney. 

every  Bjork release post Medulla is such a taxing listen that I don't find rewarding in the long run. I know what will be said cuz Medulla is literally throat music but..idk. I respect the artistry but it's a bit much.

agree except i don't respect them at all

rly dig all the 15 albums i know aside from garden of delete which i recognise as an impressive work but it's completely not my style 

1 minute ago, Vilppu said:

agree except i don't respect them at all

rly dig all the 15 albums i know aside from garden of delete which i recognise as an impressive work but it's completely not my style 

fffff. I mean like respect that she is completely making the music she wants etc,. But :rip: 

That's fair on Garden of Delete, you should try his album Replica tho, it's better/different than G.o.D.

You made 2 2015 lists and In Colour is missing in both :dies: 

But shook at Alabama Shakes. Glad they debuted. I remember buying that album the day it came out. Gimme All Your Love :jonny5:

i hope they release something in 2019

I think i'll do a revision of each year for next year's countdown. I also have this thing where I look at past lists and see mistakes. 

But I will say that this actually became my aoty for 2015 over originally TPAB :heart2: 

Not really familiar with all of those 2014 albums but your 2015 revision slays:

2. Vince Staples - Summertime '06 (-)
  3. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like ****, I Don't Go Outside (DEBUT)
  4. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (+4)
  5. Carly Rae Jepsen - E·MO·TION (-4)
  6. Alex G- Beach Music (-1)
  7. Oneohtrix Point Never – Garden of Delete (-4)
  8. Heather Woods Broderick - Glider (DEBUT)
  9. Holly Herndon - Platform (DEBUT)
  10. Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color (DEBUT)

:clap3: 

Top 5 books coming sometime today, along with the 2016 recap/revision. Dunno which is coming first. 

21 hours ago, Superpower said:

You made 2 2015 lists and In Colour is missing in both :dies: 

But shook at Alabama Shakes. Glad they debuted. I remember buying that album the day it came out. Gimme All Your Love :jonny5:

i hope they release something in 2019

I forgot that album even exists tbh. I'll have to relisten + yes!!!!!

On 12/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, Tom Vercetti said:

I think i'll do a revision of each year for next year's countdown. I also have this thing where I look at past lists and see mistakes. 

But I will say that this actually became my aoty for 2015 over originally TPAB :heart2: 

Got something special in mind for next year, but I'll be perched for your revisions as always. TPAB still the most overrated album of 2015! :fan: 

20 hours ago, Remmy said:

EMOTION losing her #1 and Dumblonde getting kicked out, welp!

I still enjoy both, Emotion more so. I like that new Dumblonde song.

20 hours ago, Tsareena said:

Heavily underrated, Kelis did that.

20 hours ago, TRF. said:

Vulnicura lost... :rip:

:hug: 

10 hours ago, Reinvention said:

The past Carly stanning. I live.

477959069102112769.png

Emotion is still a heater tho!

10 hours ago, volition said:

hell yes vega intl night school!! your 2015 revision top 5 is pure excellence

2016 was so much better than 2015, damn.

2015 (OG)

1. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
  2. Solange - A Seat At the Table
  3. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your service
  4. Bon Iver - 22, a Million
  5. Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night
  6. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
  7. Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked For Death
  8. Wovenhand - Star Treatment
  9. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
  10. Frank Ocean - Blonde

2016 (Revision)

1. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree (-)
  2. Solange - A Seat At the Table (-)
  3. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your service (-)
  4. Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night (+1)
  5. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (DEBUT)
  6. Bon Iver - 22, a Million (-2)
  7. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker (DEBUT)
  8. David Bowie - Blackstar (DEBUT)
  9. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (-)
  10. Frank Ocean - Blonde (-)

Notes

•  I kinda like Lemonade now. All Night would've been on my songs lists. Freedom still sucks though (Kendrick feats have a 90% chance of being hamfisted garbo)
  • Death loomed over the year didn't it...

yea 2016 was.. depressing but it's still the last great music year unless 2019 delivers.

Hmm at the revisions. Glad Danny and Bowie were bumped up. I'm not into car seat headrest anymore either.

I kinda like Lemonade now.

A bit opposite for me. Not that I dislike it but it grew off me so now it's just whatever.

2015 > 2016 imo though your top 3 for 2016 is excellent.

All Night is my fave Bey song, you better stan. :heart2: 

I’m glad we all agree that Sandcastles is Lemonade’s worst song 

ctfRfPT.gif

FodlnUV.png

I always try to read a couple books throughout the year, this year the goal was 6 but I ended up reading about 10. I spent $300 on an ereader so yeah I gotta put it to use. I'm mainly interested in reading "the classics" and not so much 21st Century lit, but I did buy Michelle Godbama's memoir! Here's five I read that I liked the most/had me thinking about them after I was done.

5 | Belle de Jour by Joseph Kessel

isQ.jpg

The startling and groundbreaking novel that inspired Luis Buñuel's film by the same name is finally available once more. In a world that blurs the lines between feminism and female sexuality, Belle de Jour remains as vital and controversial today as it was in its 1960 debut.

Severine Serizy is a wealthy and beautiful Parisian housewife. She loves her husband, but she cannot share physical intimacy with him, and her vivid sadomasochistic fantasies drive her to seek employment at a brothel. By day, she enacts her customers' wildest fantasies under the pseudonym "Belle de Jour"; in the evenings, she returns home to her chaste marriage and oblivious husband. Famous for its unflinching eroticism, Joseph Kessel's novel continues to offer an eye-opening glance into a unique female psyche.

I watched the film first, but have had the book on my list for some time now. Well I finally got around to it. It was pretty good, but the film expanded on Severine's conflict a bit more. Still makes for a nice read. Regarded as a French lit classic/essential, it didn't live up to the hype as much as I expected. 

4 | Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

isi.jpg

Herman Hesse's classic novel has delighted, inspired, and influenced generations of readers, writers, and thinkers. In this story of a wealthy Indian Brahmin who casts off a life of privilege to seek spiritual fulfillment. Hesse synthesizes disparate philosophies--Eastern religions, Jungian archetypes, Western individualism--into a unique vision of life as expressed through one man's search for true meaning.

The book that got me into studying Jungian psychology functions (note: don't get into this, it knows you better than you know yourself), this was indeed a classic! It has kind of a rough start, and I think the translation isn't the best in some spots, but it still hits all the right notes. The shortest read here along with my #2, highly rec.

3 | Journals by Kurt Cobain

is7.jpg

Kurt Cobain filled dozens of notebooks with lyrics, drawings, and writings about his plans for Nirvana and his thoughts about fame, the state of music, and the people who bought and sold him and his music. His journals reveal an artist who loved music, who knew the history of rock, and who was determined to define his place in that history. Here is a mesmerizing, incomparable portrait of the most influential musician of his time.

Unpopular opinion --among "music heads-- I don't hate Nirvana. I mean, Nevermind is kind of mediocre but hey In Utero is dope. Anyways, as a pretty big fan of that album, this was always on my list. Well I finally got to it. It's a pretty nice dive into Kurt's mind and all that. I'd say read it if you like him/Nirvana or just to read him DRAG Vanilla Ice for pages :ahh: 

2 | The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato

is0.jpg

Infamous for the murder of Maria Iribarne, the artist Juan Pablo Castel is now writing a detailed account of his relationship with the victim from his prison cell: obsessed from the first moment he saw her examining one of his paintings, Castel had become fixated on her over the next months and fantasized over how they might meet again. When he happened upon her one day, a relationship was formed which swiftly convinced him of their mutual love. But Castel's growing paranoia would lead him to destroy the one thing he truly cared about...

I'm very surprised this hasn't been turned into a film or miniseries yet... Regarded as a classic in Psychological literature, it surpassed my expectations! The tale of a mans descent into madness, it's pretty disturbing to read in the sense that Juan Castel' mindset is all screwed up. Either way I highly recommend if you're into some morbid stuff on occasion.

1| The Night Stalker by Philip Charlo

is1.jpg

Painstakingly researched over three years, based on nearly one hundred hours of exclusive interviews with Richard Ramirez on California's Death Row, "The Night Stalker" is the definitive account of America's most feared serial murderer. From Ramirez's earliest brushes with the law to his deadliest stalking expeditions to the unprecedented police and civilian manhunt that resulted in one of the most sensational trials in California history, "The Night Stalker" is an eerie and spellbinding descent into the very heart of human evil. It is more than epic nonfiction at its most brutally real - it is true crime masterpiece.

I really love true crime, and had to check this one out so I finally did. I read this and only this while doing so, unlike the rest of the books here that I read some of and bounced back and forth with other things. 

True Crime books have to be well written or else they're just boring. Plus, people can always just read the wiki and go on with their life. Well ****, Philip snapped here. His presentation of the details while splitting the book into four sections was an excellent storytelling choice. It got to the point I was staying up late to read more, ya girl was clocking 100-110 pages of this a day. 

Another morbid entry, but that's pretty much my steez. It really gets into Richard's psyche and even though at times I got annoyed --because the writer was coming across sympathetic-- it was still flawless.

HOWEVER, I read the updated version that includes emails from readers of the book that were kinda more disturbing than the retelling of his crimes. So maybe avoid that.

21 minutes ago, Wicked said:

FodlnUV.png

I always try to read a couple books throughout the year, this year the goal was 6 but I ended up reading about 10. I spent $300 on an ereader so yeah I gotta put it to use. I'm mainly interested in reading "the classics" and not so much 21st Century lit, but I did buy Michelle Godbama's memoir! Here's five I read that I liked the most/had me thinking about them after I was done.

4 | Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

isi.jpg

The book that got me into studying Jungian psychology functions (note: don't get into this, it knows you better than you know yourself), this was indeed a classic! It has kind of a rough start, and I think the translation isn't the best in some spots, but it still hits all the right notes. The shortest read here along with my #2, highly rec.

Can you elaborate?

Also why do I picture you as some intellectual that shouldn't even be on this lowly site? I've never even heard of Jungian psychology.

Edited by KasioKas

2016: I didn't listen to any of these because I'm a flop but whew I remember Solange, Bowie and Frank being on everyone's lists. Lemonade is actually my favorite Bey album, and yes you better appreciate All Night! :gaycat4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.