volition's Best of 2018 | all albums done

volition

3 hours ago, volition said:

Yeah I was trying to convince myself throughout the entirety of 2017...

:lmao: 

Golden Hour is okay. That's it lol. I prefer her debut tbh but even then it's not a head turner. She's a decent musician, but that's it. I liked GH more when I first listened. Chris Stapleton & Sturgill Simpson are superior, but nobody will listen to them :skull: I noticed a trend this year of nothing spectacular albums being hyped up as some sort of second coming when they are rather ordinary.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• volition

• Tom Vercetti

• Pink Matter

• theblackestday

some points but with all being said, my final sentiments are best represented in this picture here 

Untitled-1.png

still stan you tho :heart2: 

Edited by FancyMoonlight

2 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Literally the opposite for me :rip: 

While Dirty Computer is no The ArchAndroid, I found it to be a step up from The Electric Lady which I felt was very overstuffed with incredibly weak songs (especially in the latter half of the album). It made the album age very poorly for me. Outside of certain songs, I thought the lyrics were fine :michael: and I also never really had an issue with the album sounding disjointed. It seemed like she actually made an effort to connect songs together (especially the ones in the middle of the album)

Taste finally arriving! :clap3:

Golden Hour is one of the best albums released this year.. Grammy nominee kii

CV5BlX0WwAAYH8l.jpg

I didn't realise it would be so controversial :mandown:

Anyway I will reply and stuff but I need to take a day off since I am very unwell and too broke to go to the doctor, and looking at my computer hurts my head

IDK any of these.

Untitled-1.png

Let me perch though.

Melodrama kicked out of last year's top 10 and Dirty Computer being a disappointment

Untitled-1.png

On 12/12/2018 at 5:30 AM, Unoriginal said:

TMA somehow collecting even retrospective acclaim it's what she deserves 

kind of wondering if she'll ever be able to top it tbh

On 12/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, ElleDriver said:

can't believe that susanne sundfoer album was your aoty at some point...

:chick3: i loved it (and still do), but i'll be the first to admit i'm just a sucker for that kind of stuff

On 12/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, ChapelHooker said:

Iglooghost, Vince, Susanne and Kelala 

478177320620916747.png?v=1

a TRIO (but with 4)

On 12/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, Body Electrician said:

Tea. DC is one of the most overrated albums ever. It was never cute to begin with and aged horribly.

but NOW we said it

On 12/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, World Eater said:

CV5BlX0WwAAYH8l.jpg

Untitled-1.png

honestly i laughed irl when i first saw this

On 12/12/2018 at 12:04 PM, theblackestday said:

[2]

why is theblackestday a pressed hoe?

On 12/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, Eeveelution said:

[3]

On 12/12/2018 at 12:39 PM, Unoriginal said:

[4]

Swpr.gif

On 12/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, Body Electrician said:

I too find GH pretty overrated. Some great songs amongst many meh songs.

oop. agreed! 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

Some points for Gryffindor were made for both mentions. 

yes i was BRAVE but i don't think i lied

On 12/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, Tsareena said:

girl you lied twice

:mandown:

On 12/12/2018 at 12:46 PM, Vxspertine said:

422e.gif

Defo agree though. For Janelle's standards Dirty Computer is not unique or adventurous. I also found a lot of it to be lacking energy. It still has some holy bops like Take My Wig and Make My Wig Fly though.

exactly. it has some nice tracks but it's nothing special to me.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:03 PM, Pink Matter said:

Literally the opposite for me :rip: 

While Dirty Computer is no The ArchAndroid, I found it to be a step up from The Electric Lady which I felt was very overstuffed with incredibly weak songs (especially in the latter half of the album). It made the album age very poorly for me. Outside of certain songs, I thought the lyrics were fine :michael: and I also never really had an issue with the album sounding disjointed. It seemed like she actually made an effort to connect songs together (especially the ones in the middle of the album).

Golden Hour though

CV5BlX0WwAAYH8l.jpg

Easily one of my least favorite albums to listen to this year. I thought it would be more than what it is but I am just not a fan of country music. Outside of those two disco-pop songs she had on the album, nothing else really held my attention. 

i do agree with you re: electric lady, but for me the first half of that album + dance apocalyptic is enough for me to put it over the edge.

and i like country music a lot of the time! just not this album.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:17 PM, Wicked said:

:lmao: 

Golden Hour is okay. That's it lol. I prefer her debut tbh but even then it's not a head turner. She's a decent musician, but that's it. I liked GH more when I first listened. Chris Stapleton & Sturgill Simpson are superior, but nobody will listen to them :skull: I noticed a trend this year of nothing spectacular albums being hyped up as some sort of second coming when they are rather ordinary.

i totally agree with your last statement, i feel the exact same in regards to like 10 other releases. and those are some of my favourite modern country artists!

On 12/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, TRF. said:

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-1.png

On 12/12/2018 at 3:58 PM, FancyMoonlight said:

some points but with all being said, my final sentiments are best represented in this picture here 

Untitled-1.png

still stan you tho :heart2: 

omg let's retire this picture (thanks momo x)

On 12/12/2018 at 6:02 PM, Weed said:

Taste finally arriving! :clap3:

while this wasn't addressed at me, i quoted it by mistake so.. hey

On 12/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Pendulum said:

Golden Hour is one of the best albums released this year.. Grammy nominee kii

CV5BlX0WwAAYH8l.jpg

well if you think that, why did you use the wrong nicki picture :biblio:

On 12/12/2018 at 8:23 PM, ElleDriver said:

IA about  both! I do sorta get why DC is acclaimed but the Golden Hour praise is just absurd LOLs

phew, validation. and yeah i agree with that assessment.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:30 PM, Reinvention said:

IDK any of these.

Untitled-1.png

Let me perch though.

maybe for the best, they are disappointments. but check them out, you might like them anyway.

12 hours ago, Remmy said:

Melodrama kicked out of last year's top 10 and Dirty Computer being a disappointment

Untitled-1.png

the former is 100% a some points were made.

1 hour ago, thecptz said:

Untitled-1.png

and here this picture will die.

It is time for the next and final set of disappointments, and I have added an extra one to compensate for lost time. also i have ariana grandified and will now be writing in lowercase (for the time being).

the formatting is hot garbage but i can't think of anything better without copying someone elses so i'll just use what I did last year

tirzah_devotion.jpg

Devotion - Tirzah

yet another example of the trend of artists taking a meagre portion of texture and stretching it out across a whole song. this record is so idea-starved it frustrates me, i mean what is she trying to accomplish? yes, this is nice sounding but there is nothing to it, which is perfectly fine for a bedroom pop debut but it is has bizarrely received genuine acclaim. aren’t you supposed to wait for the artist to come out with their 2nd, their 3rd attempts, building on what they’ve achieved to eventually release something genuinely bracing? not sensual, not beautiful, just nice musica background.

A_Brief_Inquiry_into_Online_Relationships.png

A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships - the 1975

i know some people love this so don’t jump down my throats but for me it’s one of the worst albums i’ve heard all year, and yet it has received monstrous raves so here we go. i want to like these guys, i really do, i thought somebody else was pretty good and matt healy is an undeniably charismatic frontman who seems totally cool and genuine. however, i find this album to be all over the place in the worst way possible. all of the dabbles into different styles seem to me either derivative and watered down or just plain bad choices; for example, the riff from disorder does not sound good (and why anyone would want to cop anything from unknown pleasures, the worst album of all time, the snail mail’s lush of depressive amateur high school band post-punk, is beyond me), the fitter happier redux does not sound good, the vocoders and pitching do not sound good. the album also has a bunch of useless ballads at the end and the lyrics and concept are the epitome of pretension which is not a word i have used to describe anything in the past but if the shoe fits. i will say that the 80s fun of it’s not living is a great tune, but overall this album is the worst possible fit for my personal tastes, but i totally see why others like it so no hate x

justin_timberlake-man_of_the_woods_s-900x900.jpg

Man of the Woods - Justin Timberlake

this is clearly the worst album here and it was obviously panned but it gets its place because i somehow was expecting better (dumb in retrospect). fs/ls and 20/20 pt 1 proved that jt was one of the most forward thinking and ambitious pop stars and i was a huge fan. obviously can’t stop the feeling was crap but it’s a soundtrack song. it’s very rare for me to find a song unlistenable based on a lyric, rather than the music, but filthy’s ‘clean version’, combined with that awful vocal affectation was deeply unpleasant. then the rest of the album sucked outside of some listenable exceptions (higher higher, breeze off the pond). but in the end i even preferred 20/20 pt 2 to this disaster, weird pharrelly country r&b doesn’t suit him in the slightest. actually this album is better than it is perceived on this site, especially compared to some pop albums that are liked here. of course that is still not very good. special mention for being attached to the memory of me getting banned for calling someone dyslexic around the superbowl era.

6efd70849a1183cb3fb25ad43d1323cc.jpg#6efd70849a1183cb3fb25ad43d1323cc

Invasion of Privacy - Cardi B

i have no hate for this, it’s not at all disappointing by definition because it’s about as good as i expected to be honest. it gets its spot here because this painful critical climate has resulted in it being widely acclaimed when it’s clearly a mediocre trap album with a few bangers. they’re pretty good bangers, but still. i actually think this is probably worse than queen, despite monster bangers bodak yellow, bartier cardi, and i like it.

since i reminded myself of it, might as well also mention snail mail who fits pretty squarely into the bland, useless, idea-starved category. actually, her acclaim is more bewildering than any of the others.

overrated hms: taboo, death grips, lowkey mitski but i’m not that brave and she’ll be on the main list, and another album i thought was majorly disappointing until i listened to it again and it owned.

Edited by volition

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, volition said:

lowkey mitski but i’m not that brave and she’ll be on the main list

:mandown:

Tirzah was rightfully dragged :mandown:

I tried to force myself to like MOTW but it really is just genuinely atrocious

special mention for being attached to the memory of me getting banned for calling someone dyslexic around the superbowl era

oh this is smexy

you're totally right on all of those. janelle's record is just rly tame for such a colorful artist, kacey was just alright to me, nothing to write home about, tizrah is all style no substance, 1975 was a mental challenge to sit through in its entirety and cardi is just about as unremarkable as it gets despite her obnoxious, loud persona. never cared enough to listen to jt album but filthy was... a unique sound choice 

JT deserved it :clap3: and drag the 1975 yes queen :alexz:

DRAG TIRZAH TO HELL AND DON'T LET HER COME BACK :clap3::clap3:

Didn't even bother with the 1975 or JT albums :cm:

Agreed with what your said about Invasion Of Privacy, it's extremely overrated but it's alright.

And drag Snooze Mail :clap3: We don't even remember her :clap3:

The worst thing about the 1975 is Matty's lyrics. They're so on the nose, inelegant, forced imo. Love it if we made it is sooo exhausting to listen to. What happened to nuance?

What did Tirzah did to y’all :'( IOP will spark some controversy but I agree. And JT... :pukey: That was a kwhite bad album.

Tirzah, Cardi, Janelle And Kacey :biblio:

but skdjkd we can def agrih on JT... that album was... really bad

Ugh no :emofish: I liked JT, The 1975 and Cardi album :emofish:

Melodrama (13 -> OUT)

points were made here tho!

1 hour ago, thecptz said:

JT deserved it :clap3: and drag the 1975 yes queen :alexz:

53 minutes ago, ElleDriver said:

The worst thing about the 1975 is Matty's lyrics. They're so on the nose, inelegant, forced imo. Love it if we made it is sooo exhausting to listen to. What happened to nuance?

The 1975 slandering :chick3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.