yes wonderful

Melodrama (13 -> OUT)

hmmm

6 hours ago, volition said:

Melodrama (13 -> OUT)

SCREAM

also tea

2. Music For People in Trouble - Susanne Sundfør (-1)

3. Big Fish Theory - Vince Staples (-1)

Oh wow

1. Take Me Apart - Kelela (+5)

6. Reaching For Indigo - Circuit des Yeux (+14)

Oh WOW

9. Neō Wax Bloom - Iglooghost (+6)

10. Black Origami - Jlin (-7)

Melodrama (13 -> OUT)

OH WOW!!!

the Circuit des Yeux snappage :eek:

11 hours ago, volition said:

I thought that 2017 was relatively weak at the time but 2018 was somehow even worse :-x

I've been saying!

• ATRL Moderator

I only listened to TMA once this year but it did sound better than I remembered it :emofish:  

22 hours ago, Wicked said:

I'm glad you realized Melodrama is mid.

Kelela & Vince kind of owned the year just a bit.

Yeah I was trying to convince myself throughout the entirety of 2017...

21 hours ago, TRF. said:

this banner :deadbanana: but the top 10 from 2017 is AMAZING... Points Were Made!

I think the changes were improvements tbh

19 hours ago, Tsareena said:

Kelela, Vince :clap3:

girl I-

it's what she deserves

19 hours ago, theblackestday said:

our taste it AMAZES me

you won't be saying that in 2 minutes

19 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Love how similar the top 10s are.

It's what she deserves. 

best female r&b of the decade? can't see why not

17 hours ago, minho said:

1. Take Me Apart - Kelela (+5)

3. Big Fish Theory - Vince Staples (-1)

5. Flower Boy - Tyler, the Creator (+2)

yes wonderful

Melodrama (13 -> OUT)

hmmm

it's what she deserves 

15 hours ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

SCREAM

also tea

it's what she deserves

15 hours ago, Vxspertine said:

Oh wow

Oh WOW

OH WOW!!!

it's what they deserve

10 hours ago, World Eater said:

the Circuit des Yeux snappage :eek:

I've been saying!

it's what she deserves!!

8 hours ago, madonnas said:

I only listened to TMA once this year but it did sound better than I remembered it :emofish:  

then keep going until it becomes amazing

6 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

TMA somehow collecting even retrospective acclaim it's what she deserves 

it's what she deserves indeed!!

I didn't quote everyone who complimented the banner but seeing your comments, I have decided to drop out of uni and become a freelance graphics designer.

I will be posting 2 disappointments today and 3 tomorrow, just because they're kinda long and I need to fit an extra day in. They aren't solely disappointments too, but also overrated while acclaimed albums, or ones that I knew would be bad regardless.

For some reason this got trapped inside the spoiler so...

I didn't quote everyone who complimented the banner but seeing your comments, I have decided to drop out of uni and become a freelance graphics designer.

I will be posting 2 disappointments today and 3 tomorrow, just because they're kinda long and I need to fit an extra day in. They aren't solely disappointments too, but also overrated while acclaimed albums, or ones that I knew would be bad regardless.

15193209489599.jpg?w=1024&quality=80&strip=all&h=1024

Dirty Computer - Janelle Monae

So this time around Janelle decided to become a person and it resulted in her worst album yet. Everything from her Many Moons EP to the Electric Lady have been well-liked by me, and although there was a decline, I will still satisfied with what she was putting out, until now. Dirty Computer is perfectly listenable and it’s clearly not bad, but for me it is very disappointing coming from someone who’d been so ambitious in the past. I find the politics on this extremely crude and rudimentary and so the lyrics are often off-putting in a way that wouldn’t be the case if they were subtler or more incisive. The music also feels more disjointed than it should be, considering the way The Archandroid managed to sequence many songs of varying genres, eg. Pynk which is nice enough although very average but sounds completely out of place. I also feel like the songs lack any lasting impact, a lot of them to me are unmemorable compositions or second rate Prince rip-offs. As I said, it’s completely listenable, but a disappointing effort from someone who at one point had made music so interesting.

Edited by volition

Golden%20hour%20Kacey%20Musgraves.jpg

Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves

It doesn’t baffle me that this has managed to get so much attention; it seems to have attracted a whole lot of pop fans into country music (as in, this is the only country album they will ever listen to), but I cannot see this as anything other than very mediocre. It’s just a series of incredibly bland and underwritten country pop songs, I fail to see what makes it worthy of any sort of acclaim whatsoever. The songs are beyond simple, they are skeletal. Kacey takes the simplest of emotional inclinations and stretches them out for 4 minutes; the songs are conventionally structured, and there’s barely enough content to even tell a story beyond being in a certain state of mind. I will say the instrumentals are pleasant and have occasional instrumental flourishes that are nice to listen to, but the songs are juvenile and they barely scratch the surface of any kind of feeling.

Tea. DC is one of the most overrated albums ever. It was never cute to begin with and aged horribly.

Some points for Gryffindor were made for both mentions. 

52 minutes ago, volition said:

So this time around Janelle decided to become a person and it resulted in her worst album yet.

422e.gif

Defo agree though. For Janelle's standards Dirty Computer is not unique or adventurous. I also found a lot of it to be lacking energy. It still has some holy bops like Take My Wig and Make My Wig Fly though.

Edited by Vxspertine

2 hours ago, World Eater said:

CV5BlX0WwAAYH8l.jpg

Untitled-1.png

Literally the opposite for me :rip: 

While Dirty Computer is no The ArchAndroid, I found it to be a step up from The Electric Lady which I felt was very overstuffed with incredibly weak songs (especially in the latter half of the album). It made the album age very poorly for me. Outside of certain songs, I thought the lyrics were fine :michael: and I also never really had an issue with the album sounding disjointed. It seemed like she actually made an effort to connect songs together (especially the ones in the middle of the album).

Golden Hour though

CV5BlX0WwAAYH8l.jpg

Easily one of my least favorite albums to listen to this year. I thought it would be more than what it is but I am just not a fan of country music. Outside of those two disco-pop songs she had on the album, nothing else really held my attention. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.