Best of 2018 is now open! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Could Where Are You Christmas Been Mariah’s 1st Holiday Hit?

7 posts in this topic

based

Mariah wrote the majority of the song with James Horner and Will Jennings (the team behind Celine’s My Heart Will Go On), and Mariah was supposed to sing it originally for the movie Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

The soundtrack for the film was being put out by MCA and Columbia Records. To record the song officially, Mariah would need Tommy Mottola’s permission. However, with this all happening after Mariah’s divorce from Tommy and her relationship with Sony becoming strained, she was denied the right to record it. 

Do you think if Mariah had been allowed to record it that it could’ve been another holiday hit for her?

The song is pretty popular. It has sold over 977k download and still charts on the Billboard Holiday chart. 

The song has Mariah written all over it. From the runs to even the adlibs at the end of it, it’s safe to assume how Faith Hill stayed true to Mariah’s (still yet to be leaked..) demo of it.

LookinIn

It's such a Mariah song, write down to the production, its so easy hearing her in it and I'm still upset we never got a Mariah version of her in her prime. She really would be the queen of Christmas if it was released by her, she would have won an Oscar tbh.

It's tragic, but at least Mimi keeps the cheques coming from this, in fact she probably receives just as much if not more than Faith gets in royalties from this song. 

Cinderellaboy

Maybe! Mariah had recorded it, but had no right to release it. She was upset with the situation, but was happy that Faith Hill came to record it. In 2000, Faith Hill was such a big star. I hope that Mariah would release her version or sing it on her future Christmas tour.

based
1 minute ago, LookinIn said:

It's such a Mariah song, write down to the production, its so easy hearing her in it and I'm still upset we never got a Mariah version of her in her prime. She really would be the queen of Christmas if it was released by her, she would have won an Oscar tbh.

It's tragic, but at least Mimi keeps the cheques coming from this, in fact she probably receives just as much if not more than Faith gets in royalties from this song. 

Omg yes! It’s kind of scary how much you can hear Mariah coming through in it. I grew up loving this song so much, and I didn’t find out Mariah wrote it a few years ago, so it makes so much sense. 

I also hope Mariah talks about this in her memoirs considering she’s never talked about it. More than that, I’d love for her release it one day or even just perform it tbh. 

DemDam92

I think it’s fine since we got All I Want which is by far the biggest holiday song ever.

Slamless
5 minutes ago, DemDam92 said:

I think it’s fine since we got All I Want which is by far the biggest holiday song ever.

White Christmas says hi!

DemDam92
3 minutes ago, Slamless said:

White Christmas says hi!

Streaming era says gtfo. :fan:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0