Jump to content
Best of 2018 is now open! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Man complains about Canadian bilingualism

47 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

LookinIn

yikes, English only speaking Canadians are the most ignorant in this country

 

This is why Quebec wants to leave, because of ignorant disgusting people like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yndda

UGH this guy. i remember seeing this video, watching it, and rolling my eyes like every other minute. and i'm not even a canadian in any sense :skull:

no wonder québécois nationalism is a thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jealous
3 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

yikes, English only speaking Canadians are the most ignorant in this country

 

This is why Quebec wants to leave, because of ignorant disgusting people like him. 

Are you fluent in the two languages? :gaycat5:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Communion

I tried watching this but I clicked off at the first "aboot". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
2 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Are you fluent in the two languages? :gaycat5:

Yes, French immersion did me well Grade 1-12

 

People hate bilingualism in Canada simply because they are lazy and don't want to bother learning it despite Quebec being a huge part of Canada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Quebec is scum and overstates their importance. 

Funny I could say the same about B.C or Toronto for that matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marvin

He’s basically saying that the French minority should be ignored because the English speaking majority is too lazy to learn the language... yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
Just now, Marvin said:

He’s basically saying that the French minority should be ignored because the English speaking majority is too lazy to learn the language... yikes.

That is exactly what he is saying

 

And he's acting like 68% is a massive huge majority, like 32% is a huge segment of the population, you can't just ignore that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew
2 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Funny I could say the same about B.C or Toronto for that matter

But they’re much better liked. Quebec is the least liked. But Maritimes >>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisTheLoner
19 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

yikes, English only speaking Canadians are the most ignorant in this country

 

This is why Quebec wants to leave, because of ignorant disgusting people like him. 

It's actually quite the opposite. People from quebec are known to be very rude and nasty towards other Canadians.

 

Good riddance I'd say.

 

Also nothing wrong with only speaking english but go ahead and shame people for it if that's what makes you happy. I could care less about learning another language.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jealous
14 minutes ago, Yndda said:

UGH this guy. i remember seeing this video, watching it, and rolling my eyes like every other minute. and i'm not even a canadian in any sense :skull:

no wonder québécois nationalism is a thing

Well... learning a foreign language takes a lot of effort and time especially if you already hit 20s/30s it becomes more difficult.

 

13 minutes ago, Communion said:

I tried watching this but I clicked off at the first "aboot". 

The left would support aboot.

 

12 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Yes, French immersion did me well Grade 1-12

 

People hate bilingualism in Canada simply because they are lazy and don't want to bother learning it despite Quebec being a huge part of Canada

Slay :gaycat5:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
19 minutes ago, Communion said:

I tried watching this but I clicked off at the first "aboot". 

Yikes, that's hateful. I thought you were supposed to be a leftist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
1 minute ago, ChrisTheLoner said:

It's actually quite the opposite. People from quebec are known to be very rude and nasty towards other Canadians.

 

Good riddance I'd say.

 

Also nothing wrong with only speaking english but go ahead and shame people for it if that's what makes you happy. I could care less about learning another language.

They are rude and Nasty to other Canadians because of a history of English Canada subverting and anglicizing their culture and being rude and nasty toward them. Pick up a history book sometime and read about Quebec's history and what they had to go through to receive the federal recognition they deserve. Like it or not, Quebec represents 25% of our population and has the second largest GDP of any province. 

 

If you don't want to learn the language you should be respectful of other people and their distinct culture, recognize that you are being just as nasty and rude toward them as they are too you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn

Also, claiming that there isn't a sizable minority of French speaking Ontarion's is just ridiculous and shows that you have never left the GTA, there is a huge amount of French speakers in Northern Ontario, especially in Ottawa. 

 

bitter anglophones are just like Trump in some ways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMagical
2 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Also, claiming that there isn't a sizable minority of French speaking Ontarion's is just ridiculous and shows that you have never left the GTA, there is a huge amount of French speakers in Northern Ontario, especially in Ottawa. 

 

bitter anglophones are just like Trump in some ways. 

There is also a huge amount of Chinese speaking people in Canada, I guess we should also learn Chinese to accommodate them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
1 minute ago, MadMagical said:

There is also a huge amount of Chinese speaking people in Canada, I guess we should also learn Chinese to accommodate them. 

Yikes

they have no regional majority or historical ties to Canada’s formation or settling, they are immigrants not settlers. They have only become a sizeable minority in the last 20 years through immigration. 

 

Quebec has been here before anglophone Canada was here however 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Communion
10 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Yikes, that's hateful. I thought you were supposed to be a leftist

Hating accents associated with Germanic languages is probably the most leftist thing one can do.

German in particular is sonically awful. I'm sure American English accents sound like ass too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yndda
5 minutes ago, Jealous said:

Well... learning a foreign language takes a lot of effort and time especially if you already hit 20s/30s it becomes more difficult.

 

it does, but that's no excuse to go ahead and attack such a large minority. your failure to learn french as a monolingual anglophone 20-something doesn't give you the right to trash an entire sociolinguistic community.

 

i failed to become fluent/competent in spanish (instead i'm studying french. HA!) but you don't see me taking my anger out on companies for making bilingual english-spanish soda cans. you don't see me taking my anger out on my state's government for sending me mail that's printed in both english and spanish even though my family doesn't even speak a lick of spanish.

 

(i'm not trying to say that you're making an excuse but it just brought up a point in my head that i wanted to talk about)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
4 minutes ago, Communion said:

Hating accents associated with Germanic languages is probably the most leftist thing one can do.

German in particular is sonically awful. I'm sure American English accents sound like ass too. 

What nonsense is this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMagical
4 minutes ago, LookinIn said:

Yikes

they have no regional majority or historical ties to Canada’s formation or settling, they are immigrants not settlers. They have only become a sizeable minority in the last 20 years through immigration. 

 

Quebec has been here before anglophone Canada was here however 

In that sense the First Nations have been here before anybody else, before francophone and anglophone, we should learn to speak Inuktitut 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
new evolution

The French language is a dying old man huffing his last breaths. French speakers in particular have an incredibly insecure attitude over their language and I have hard time resonating with them for it. Canadian bilingual policy is just appeasing a dying minority, and the demographics are there to prove it. I don't like Doug Ford but I support him cutting Francophone services, there's no reason why the government should waste money on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LookinIn
3 minutes ago, MadMagical said:

In that sense the First Nations have been here before anybody else, before francophone and anglophone, we should learn to speak Inuktitut 

Again, First Nations don't represent a large regional majority anywhere except the territories which are very small in pop. They also don't have one language but a huge multitude of them

 

The First Nations have a very sad history here but nothing can be done to change the past.

 

The logic behind bilingualism with French boils down to their massive participation in the formation of canada as well as their huge sizeable population and regional domination in the east, as well as the multitude of business that is conducted in French, which cannot be said of any other language.

 

The legal bilingualism is a necessity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0