No Female Artists in Top20 of Country Airplay For First Time

Recordyear

On Billboard's latest Country Airplay chart, dated Dec. 8, the top 20 is a boys club, and a historic one at that: for the first time since the radio-based survey launched in January 1990, the top 20 does not feature any female acts.

The highest position held by a woman on Country Airplay this week belongs to Carrie Underwood's "Love Wins," which climbs 25-22 (up 13 percent to 8.2 million audience impressions in the week ending Dec. 2, according to Nielsen Music).

Looking at the entire 60 positions on Country Airplay, seven female acts appear beyond Underwood: Mindy Smith (as featured on Kenny Chesney's "Better Boat," at No. 27); Kelsea Ballerini ("Miss Me More," No. 32); Hillary Lindsey (as featured on Randy Houser's "What Whiskey Does," No. 40); duo Maddie & Tae ("Friends Don't," No. 41); trio Runaway June ("Buy My Own Drinks," No. 44); Lauren Alaina ("Ladies of the '90s," No. 47); and Carly Pearce ("Closer to You," No. 53).

Notably, Alaina's song recalls a bountiful era for women on the charts (country, pop and beyond). "I was raised on radio waves, where the ladies dominated," she sings, as she shouts out "Britney" (Spears) and smashes by Shania Twain, Destiny's Child, Dixie Chicks and more.

The title says it all.

www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8488730/no-women-country-airplay-chart-top-20?utm_source=twitter

meh, country is trash anyway unless Lana does it. :michael:

7 minutes ago, Timber said:

meh, country is trash anyway unless Lana does it. :michael:

Sis, you better support since sis is solidifying both of our faves’ legacies.

OT: Kinda ironic that Lauren just put out a female domination song :ahh: 

Fifteen years ago, they wanted women to “shut up and sing.”

Now they just want women to shut up. :biblio: 

They could, hmm, play Kacey? She literally has an album full of bops but because she isn't homophobic they don't like her

Also didn't Carrie release recently :skull: or did I dream that

What's even worst is Carrie's 'Cry Pretty' only peaked at #9 on Airplay earlier in the year despite going #5 on Hot Country Songs. Clearly indicating there was support/interest in the song, but radio just stopped playing it. :michael:

I'm surprised 'Love Wins' has even made it this high considering it's slow climb. Funny how they will use her for every award show, major country festival, or any article about the faces of country.. but radio is starting to play her dust. :rip: 

The country music market is oversaturated with males, this allows female excellence like Miranda Lambert to stand out I guess

Well they have Kacey it's their own damn fault they aren't listening to her

Time for Taylor Swift to come and save the country genre again 

The way they are telling women "to step it up" yet somehow ignore them while playing 24/7 of any male country songs.

The ****ing hypocrites

Carrie and Kacey being paid dust. Their new albums are actually amazing. What's wrong with country radio.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.