Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

80's Music Discussion Thread

592 posts in this topic

I have been exploring more and more 1980's music, and I wanted to open a thread where we could discuss all music and pop culture related moments and performances from 1980-1989!

Who are your faves? I love Madonna, George Michael/Wham!, Queen, Eurythmics, Whitney Houston, Laura Branigan, Belinda Carlise, Cyndi Lauper, Dead Or Alive, Depeche Mode, Tina Turner, David Bowie, Culture Club, a-ha, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Prince, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Bananarama, The Bangles, Metallica, Billy Idol, etc. etc.

Slikovni rezultat za 80s cyndi mtv gif

Link to 90's Music Discussion Thread

Link to 00's Music Discussion thread

Madonna, Queen, Michael Jackson and Depeche Mode are my faves. There are some classics by the others mentioned that I also like but I really don't know much of their discographies.

I LOVE the '80s! My faves are Depeche Mode, Blondie, New Order, Tears for Fears, Heart (recently gotten into their discography, wig flew), Pet Shop Boys, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Laura Branigan (Self Control is THAT song, I've been exploring her discography and it's pretty good, she's so underrated), Kim Carnes (Bette Davis Eyes is a classic but she has many other great songs that are often overlooked, her album Voyeur is excellent), Siouxsie & the Banshees, Eurythmics, Joan Jett, Yazoo, The Cars, Ultravox... Ugh, the best decade in music hands down. What I wouldn't give to have experienced that era in person.

Let me post a few bops.

@Supervixen whew TASTE! :jonny:  just please use spoilers if you're gonna post bunch of videos because it will take ages to load a page, especially with slow ATRL serves :rip: 

5 minutes ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

@Supervixen whew TASTE! :jonny:  just please use spoilers if you're gonna post bunch of videos because it will take ages to load a page, especially with slow ATRL serves :rip: 

Oops, my bad lol. I did try to find the spoilers option before posting but I couldn't find it, then I remembered you could do it manually.

Glad to find a fellow '80s lover :clap3:

1 minute ago, Supervixen said:

Oops, my bad lol. I did try to find the spoilers option before posting but I couldn't find it, then I remembered you could do it manually.

Glad to find a fellow '80s lover :clap3:

yeah, it shouldn't be problem posting one video per post (even tho if everyone posted them, that would be 25 videos and the page would be lagging like the "What Are You Listening Right Now?" thread :toofunny2:)! Ughhh, same! I opened both 80's and 90's threads today! Threads for 70's and 00's have already been opened! Although I am not explored the 70's era... yet! Ughh, but there are so many iconic moments from the 80's!

Live Aid from 1985 is so iconic! Queen performance of course being the highlight, but also Sade and Madonna, ughhh :jonny5:

80s were all about kicking the crap out of ageism! I LOVE IT!

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, -mUsIcLoVeR- said:

YASSSSS

I have been so obsessed with 80s since January this year.

hopefully the thread will be active enough, I mean there are ATRL members who stan certain artists who were successful in the 80's! Btw. how old are you and what triggered your sudden interest with the 80's culture? I am 21, I have been slowly getting into 80's as I was exploring 90's and some of the artists from that decade who were also successful/debuted in the 80's such as Madonna, Annie Lennox's Eurythmics and Whitney Houston. But I would say that the recent Bohemian Rhaspody movie I watched was the final bullet of me getting into the 80's with my current obsession with Freddie Mercury and Queen :jonny: 

I have a question; why did "Smooth Operator" by Sade aged like fine wine? A TIMELESS CLASSIC.

Slikovni rezultat za atrl chyna gif

6 minutes ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

yeah, it shouldn't be problem posting one video per post (even tho if everyone posted them, that would be 25 videos and the page would be lagging like the "What Are You Listening Right Now?" thread :toofunny2:)! Ughhh, same! I opened both 80's and 90's threads today! Threads for 70's and 00's have already been opened! Although I am not explored the 70's era... yet! Ughh, but there are so many iconic moments from the 80's!

Live Aid from 1985 is so iconic! Queen performance of course being the highlight, but also Sade and Madonna, ughhh :jonny5:

Ohh let me check out the '90s thread! Agreed, the '80s were truly iconic and unique :heart2: Aside from Blondie, The Runaways and Joy Division I'm not all that acquainted with the '70s, I have yet to further explore that era too.

7 minutes ago, jdmc218 said:

80s were all about kicking the crap out of ageism! I LOVE IT!

you are the expert of this decade sis :jonny: also same can you post one video per post or put other videos in spoilers so that page don't open so slowly, especially on mobile :toofunny3:

also considering how homophobic the decade was, there were so many gay icons

+ many more that I haven't discovered probably about yet! Whew!

4 minutes ago, Supervixen said:

Ohh let me check out the '90s thread! Agreed, the '80s were truly iconic and unique :heart2: Aside from Blondie, The Runaways and Joy Division I'm not all that acquainted with the '70s, I have yet to further explore that era too.

Yeah, I know Blondie, Queen and legends Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and Diana Ross! But most of the songs I know came out in like 1979, which is almost close to 80s :jonny: 

I always dismissed the 80s as cringy, however in the last year Ive been really digging it as a whole and feel it was a vital decade for pop culture in general.  Some of my favourites..

71z3GN4SUPL._SY355_.jpg

81bN-rdNAwL._SY355_.jpg

71ukDDqeR-L._SX355_.jpg

51ttoCPz8QL.jpg

J22122000000000-00-500x500.jpg

917qVjMVxjL._SX355_.jpg

41bpWymg5UL._SX355_.jpg

780d0d13766941f09cdba459fc42f793.jpg

81XzjwEhhlL._SY355_.jpg

49 minutes ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

I have a question; why did "Smooth Operator" by Sade aged like fine wine? A TIMELESS CLASSIC.

Because Sade is a TIMELESS CLASSIC!

The Judds' "River of Time" is fantastic. It's one of Naomi's greatest moments as a songwriter

9 hours ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

@The7thStranger omg, I see in your sig that you're a Fleetwood Mac stan, I am currently obsessed with "Little Lies". :jonny5:

Tango in the Night is such a weird and fun album. I highly recommend it. :clap3:

1 hour ago, The7thStranger said:

Tango in the Night is such a weird and fun album. I highly recommend it. :clap3:

I haven't listened to any of their albums, but I am planning to check out most albums from artists that I started to follow their legendary work and rich discographies once Spotify becomes available! :duca:

I heard this song on the radio 2 nights ago and I was so hooked by it. I never knew Michael Jackson can deliver such great masterpiece, lemme stan the King Of Pop a bit and explore more of his music :jonny5:

The 80's did THAT. 

You should check out GTA Vice City & Vice City Stories' soundtracks. :jonny4:

Gloria!

If everybody wants you,

Why isn't anybody CAAAAAAAAAAALING :jonny4:

And Disney snapped in the 80's

The way the original Eurythmics era (1981-1990) matched the decade almost exactly, truly a definitive band of the eighties

AM4A.gif

This song goes OFF

I'd like to explore her discography at some point.