28 European countries allow Islam headscarves ban @ work

409 posts in this topic

- Europe's highest court ruled that employers are allowed to ban workers from wearing visible political or religious symbols including Islamic headscarves.

- The European Court of Justice said a workplace rule prohibiting any such item "does not constitute direct discrimination" if applied universally. 

- The decision, which applies to all 28 countries came in in two cases including one brought by a Muslim receptionist in Belgium employed by contracting giant G4S. 

- The Islamic headscarf has been at the center of controversy in a number of European countries, most notably France which attaches particular importance to the separation of religion and government services such as schools.

353394ff839cbf6082394207f669512e.gif

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcnews.com/news/world/amp/islamic-headscarf-ban-ruled-legal-european-workplaces-n733166

they banned religious symbols. 

Misleading title, but great decision imo. I believe people shouldn't have religious symbols at school or work.

I'm an Immense Atheist and see no problem with people bearing religious symbols. Way too much censorship in today's world.

2 minutes ago, Dekkan said:

Misleading title, but great decision imo. I believe people shouldn't have religious symbols at school or work.

My title is basically a copy and paste from NBC News which is the source that's what they have as their headline. The ban clearly targets Muslims. 

3 minutes ago, Dekkan said:

Why? Just mind your own business :skull: 

4 minutes ago, Dekkan said:

This. Some people can get very heated regarding religion + politics and that is the last thing a company needs when they want to maintain productivity. 

If it applies to every religion, then it's fine. Religion should be practiced in private or in their respectives temples.

Great!:clap3:

2 minutes ago, Beautiful Liar said:

My title is basically a copy and paste from NBC News which is the source that's what they have as their headline. The ban clearly targets Muslims. 

That's not why your title is misleading. You said they were banned while the court only said that it's permissible to ban them along with all other religious symbols.

1 minute ago, Artemisia said:

Well...that's ideal. Some people can't mind their business especially with such a sensitive topic such as religion. 

Good going

5 minutes ago, Dekkan said:

Why? It's not like it's bothering you if a person wear a cross or a headscarf. 

Amazing :clap3:

Just now, cancer said:

Well...that's ideal. Some people can't mind their business especially with such a sensitive topic such as religion. 

So fire them? If you can't be mature enough to deal with someone wearing a cross necklace or a hijab, you're not a suitable employee.

6 minutes ago, Dekkan said:

but on the other hand it's also clothing and women should have the right to wearing it.

1 minute ago, Dessy Fenix said:

Why? It's not like it's bothering you if a person wear a cross or a headscarf. 

Just now, Artemisia said:

So fire them? If you can't be mature enough to deal with someone wearing a cross necklace or a hijab, you're not a suitable employee.

Well...apparently, 28 european countries aren't mature enough then. 

Disgusting. If people want to wear religious symbols then they should do it.

2 minutes ago, Artemisia said:

Girl workplaces  don't allow tattoos, piercings and many hair style's. Why do you think they should allow people wearing religious costumes to work?

This was overdue. :clap3:

I don't like religion but I see no problem with allowing people to wear religious symbols, it should be within their right to do so provided it isn't offensive.

1 minute ago, Artemisia said:

The solution is not that easy.

Can you imagine a company in a very conservative city? Would they need to fire everybody?

I think it depends on the company. If there are no complaints about employees displaying their religious symbols then it shouldn't be banned.

It's a good thing that companies are given the choice though.

Just now, katara said:

Girl workplaces  don't allow tattoos, piercings and many hair style's. Why do you think they should allow people wearing religious costumes to work?

They do that under some kind of professionalism clause (which I don't entirely agree with anyway, but that's a different topic). What's not professional about wearing a cross or hijab?

Please let me know.

1 minute ago, katara said:

I think they should be going the opposite direction but okay :rip: