Best of 2018 is now open! Read more... ×

Pitchfork: "Chainsmokers are the AXE body spray of music"

126 posts in this topic

mokitsu

Beach House Are the Chainsmokers’ Type of Thing, and I Kind of Want to Die

A split image of Beach House and the Chainsmokers

There are untouchable pop icons, there are innocuous chart-toppers who are easy enough to ignore, and then there are the Chainsmokers—the AXE Body Spray of modern music. Even in this post-genre, highbrow-lowbrow world, I’d prefer not to get their stank all over the music that means something to me. Which hasn’t really been an issue. Until today.

The Chainsmokers’ new album is called Sick Boy...Beach House. The single is called “Beach House” and it goes like this: “Woke up on the west side/Listening to Beach House, taking my time.” Though the accompanying lyric video doesn’t even capitalize Beach House, I’m going to assume this isn’t a glitch in the songwriting algorithm, and that the Chainsmokers aren’t listening to their friends’ Malibu McMansions and calling it music. They are talking about the Baltimore duo that, for the last decade or so, has redefined the concept of “vibey” music by honing a specific sound and not striving for mass appeal.

. Their 2017 debut, Memories…Do Not Open, was like a trust funder’s quarter-life crisis, except the existential despair primarily stemmed from the notion that “bitches be crazy.” So I get why their pivot to vibes invokes Beach House: Name-dropping them roughly seven years after the Weeknd and Kendrick each sampled them is a safe way to seem vaguely cool, like the Chainsmokers are the “artists” they keep claiming to be instead of a slightly less embarrassing (though slightly more sexist?) version of LMFAO. 

Maybe it’s not even that deep. Maybe a Beach House song was playing in the lobby of Equinox right after the opening line came to Taggart. But if you grew up listening to underground music, seeing someone who embodies everything you hate like an indie band you love still has the power to annoy you. When Taggart repeats “This is my type of thing” throughout the song, it almost feels like a taunt.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/beach-house-are-the-chainsmokers-type-of-thing-and-i-kind-of-want-to-die/

ElleDriver

Maybe it’s not even that deep. Maybe a Beach House song was playing in the lobby of Equinox right after the opening line came to Taggart. But if you grew up listening to underground music, seeing someone who embodies everything you hate like an indie band you love still has the power to annoy you. When Taggart repeats “This is my type of thing” throughout the song, it almost feels like a taunt.

:mazen: what kinda unbearable hipster trash wrote this ****. Kinda makes me wanna blast The Chainsmokers right now

Yog
6 minutes ago, ElleDriver said:

:mazen: what kinda unbearable hipster trash wrote this ****. Kinda makes me wanna blast The Chainsmokers right now

People with taste, some don’t have it...

OT: They better drag :clap3:

tiagol88

Typical pseudo-hipster trashy article when they write about pop music.

It's not real music for them, so this is their way of complimenting this type of music :deadbanana2:

Aurora

And Pitchfork are the Sriracha of music publications. thank u, next

The Velvet Rope

Y’all in here stanning the chainsmokers I’ve seen it all

Homogenic

Why are they keep reviewing their music if they hate it so much? Like get some fresh air and don’t surround yourself with this negativity :rip: 

mokitsu
4 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I gotta say...I'm not suprised by what she looks like at all.

tumblr_inline_pc4c57CIVi1qd2rkq_400.jpg

:rip: 

Karla Cabello
6 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

:shakeno:

Karla Cabello

why do people hate chainsmokers so much. they are harmless. they just make bops and hate lady gaga..... :michael:

Thickorita

better than anything by those pretentious faux acts pitchfork likes

Ressti
10 minutes ago, The Velvet Rope said:

Y’all in here stanning the chainsmokers I’ve seen it all

!!!!

disgusting

Avariko

I don't like TC's music either but I don't get this hostility, like bitch just don't listen? They are harmless.

Slamless
13 minutes ago, 22  said:

And Pitchfork are the Sriracha of music publications. thank u, next

I love Sriracha 🤷‍♂️

Ressti
14 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Body shaming a woman for her opinion on music. Not been done at all. You are so clever to think of it. A classy way to argue. You completely made your point. I see it now.

Taylor.
14 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

:deadbanana4:

Homogenic
3 minutes ago, Thickorita said:

better than anything by those pretentious faux acts pitchfork likes

Beach N/Ause found re-releasing the same song for the last 10 years, diverse artists like The Chainsmokers can’t relate :clap3: 

Anthem
15 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

:toofunny2:

TYMPS

NOT AXE BODY SPRAY :ahh:

Chainsmokers shoulda kept Beach House name out their mouths!!!!!!!