Jump to content
Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

Normani f/ 6LACK - "Waves"

816 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, RudeBoyy said:

I would definitely disagree that they could have been DC level, they were not as talented as D.C. and i feel like girl group aren't really a thing anymore. They definitely dropped the ball with them though, but i think that's why labels were quick to snatch them up. 

i think they couldve had they release quality albums and actually tried to serve iconic performances. a lot of the girls weren't in it tho. they just wanted to be solo artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnMyCoolJ said:

Her vocals are just tragic. 

This is kind of tea. I prefer to be positive though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RudeBoyy said:

I would definitely disagree that they could have been DC level, they were not as talented as D.C. and i feel like girl group aren't really a thing anymore. They definitely dropped the ball with them though, but i think that's why labels were quick to snatch them up. 

That's true.

They have charisma and different personalities.... but the vocals, album cuts, visuals, and harmonies aren't up to par.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is better than the two other tracks, yaaaaas. :jonny:

She needs to work on her breath control, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved the performance but I don't get the hype with the song itself. It shouldn't even be an album track, it's no different than any other song by an R&B girl. Also 6lack is just awful. The performance really saved the song for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wew, she's releasing these quality tracks, I need to breathe, normani and lauren deleted my last 3 days in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alfonso12 said:

Sounds better than the songs with Calvin tbh.

Thought the same

 

it’s cute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES MA’AM! I can’t wait to hear the studio version cos I know the extra harmonies will scalp!

 

Her entire set was amazing! I’m so proud of her and the way she improves with each performance. My girl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great song. 

 

My only things is...

 

On the one hand, Normani's talent and stage presence (especially) makes her the perfect candidate for BIG, booming, uptempo songs. Something she's yet to really do.

 

But, if she's trying to a) differentiate herself from the Bey's and Rih's plus b) ride the wave of trendy R&B that's in, maybe more down-tempo songs of this type and Love Lies are her best bet. Strategically. 

 

My hope is that she and her team find a happy medium. Because there are definitely cons to being too rooted in one side or the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cbreezy said:

Great song. 

 

My only things is...

 

On the one hand, Normani's talent and stage presence (especially) makes her the perfect candidate for BIG, booming, uptempo songs. Something she's yet to really do.

 

But, if she's trying to a) differentiate herself from the Bey's and Rih's plus b) ride the wave of trendy R&B that's in, maybe more down-tempo songs of this type and Love Lies are her best bet. Strategically. 

 

My hope is that she and her team find a happy medium. Because there are definitely cons to being too rooted in one side or the other. 

Janet did the down tempo sound during with Janet. and Velvet Rope and she pulled it off performance wise. I think it’ll aesthetically suit her better with her type of voice and sound. I can’t connect her Beyoncè-isms with the type of records she’s putting out. I’d rather see her in the vein of 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Great song. 

 

My only things is...

 

On the one hand, Normani's talent and stage presence (especially) makes her the perfect candidate for BIG, booming, uptempo songs. Something she's yet to really do.

 

But, if she's trying to a) differentiate herself from the Bey's and Rih's plus b) ride the wave of trendy R&B that's in, maybe more down-tempo songs of this type and Love Lies are her best bet. Strategically. 

 

My hope is that she and her team find a happy medium. Because there are definitely cons to being too rooted in one side or the other. 

 

1 hour ago, Thinking Of You said:

Janet did the down tempo sound during with Janet. and Velvet Rope and she pulled it off performance wise. I think it’ll aesthetically suit her better with her type of voice and sound. I can’t connect her Beyoncè-isms with the type of records she’s putting out. I’d rather see her in the vein of 

 

I agree 100%. She needs to find a visual sweetspot that differentiates herself and fits the music. That’s the biggest obstacle she’ll need to overcome between now and the lead single/album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites