Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

2020 US Presidential Election 🇺🇸 Joe/Pete/Kamala 9pm Thurs

21,911 posts in this topic

Oh, the troll is back.. Guess this thread’s gonna devolve again

Instead of complaining about that user why don’t you simply don’t quote him or put him on ignore? It’s easy

7 minutes ago, DonSphynx said:

Oh, the troll is back.. Guess this thread’s gonna devolve again

Devolve from being the anti-Sanders circlejerk it was, yes. I'm sure you can still use PMs and group messages if you want a dedicated space more focused on poll numbers to fantasize about the thought of the most progressive candidate losing. Unfortunately, a 2020 general election thread is not your personal playground to astroturf for a flavor of the month candidate. 

--

Warren's backtracking on M4A is one of the most popular results the past few days when you search her on Twitter. Hopefully her getting more media attention puts a foot down hard on her neck and she's forced to clarify her position. She can pull crumbs off of Buttigieg, Harris & Beto's plate, but there's no path to beating Joe without Bernie's supporters, which requires her to entering the firing line. :duca:

So is he making this beard thing the whole point of his campaign? :rip:

Posted (edited)

#AOCbro :jonny5: 

The establishment is quaking :jonny5: 

Has Liz really backed away from M4A? I've seen that a few places but haven't actually seen any evidence of it?

I know she is open to different ways of structuring the transition from the current system to M4A...is that what people are talking about?

How do you mute someone on mobile? 

Back on topic, warren and peter continuing to rise!! Can’t wait for the debates. We will take down the old men! 

Warren is starting to catch up Bernie everywhere. :sistrens:

The polls take a few weeks to catch up, so they are only just reflecting the momentum she gained over the last month. There's going be more over the next few weeks that are good for her, a perfect launch pad for the debate. 

I really think this whole “284 people are running for president” thing is exhausting and detrimental to the party’s interests. I need at least a dozen campaigns to end after the first debates. Preferrably even more than that. 

The race really needs to be whittled down to like... Warren, Biden, Sanders, Harris, Buttigieg, and MAYBE Booker and one or two others AT MOST. 

2 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I really think this whole “284 people are running for president” thing is exhausting and detrimental to the party’s interests. I need at least a dozen campaigns to end after the first debates. Preferrably even more than that. 

The race really needs to be whittled down to like... Warren, Biden, Sanders, Harris, Buttigieg, and MAYBE Booker and one or two others AT MOST. 

Yeah the DNC definitely needs to raise the debate threshold even higher. They walk a fine line though bc they don't want to appear as partial to any one candidate 

Does anyone understand the new rent control laws that just passed in New York? I'm trying to wrap my head around them but housing has always been on the of the most confusing subject matters for me.

I assume it's good since it was passed by newly-elected progressive legislators? It sounds like landlords can no longer use petty loopholes to raise rent prices?

1 hour ago, -Derek said:

How do you mute someone on mobile? 

Back on topic, warren and peter continuing to rise!! Can’t wait for the debates. We will take down the old men! 

You should can mute people by accessing your settings from the person icon in the main navigation bar. I assume it's the same for mobile.

Bernie is calling for impeachment now.

But I thought the Bernie stans would always pull the "we're not a personality cult, we like Warren too! :)" card when they were called out?

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

So is he making this beard thing the whole point of his campaign? :rip:

Can’t wait for him to break up with her after he drops out of the race. :toofunny3: 

21 minutes ago, Scion said:

But I thought the Bernie stans would always pull the "we're not a personality cult, we like Warren too! :)" card when they were called out?

giphy.gif

"Why don't people who like this be politician not like this other politician who doesn't agree with the forner's signature policy position?" 

Did you think progressives wouldn't....vet Warren and just be swept off into the night by her? :priceless:

We like her by showing we're willing to give her the chance to move left on healthcare and foreign policy. We already know, for instance, everything out of Joe & Kamala's mouths are lies. Warren is granted the opportunity. It's 2019 and people are still acting confused why Sanders supporters aren't automatically supporters to people to his right? 

14 hours ago, shelven said:

Ugh, I'm in such a weird place with Warren right now. On the one hand, I love her policies and I love what she's doing and I would personally be overjoyed to see her as President. But on the other hand, she's one of very few Democratic candidates that I strongly believe would lose the general election. So I have no idea whether to actually root for her to win the primary or not :deadbanana:

This is where I am too :'( I used to complain about Warren being ~unelectable~ in the general, but lately I've been talking about her policies and how I like her and my one friend clocked me the other day, like, "Didn't you say people will find her 'shrill' and say she'll get massacred by Trump in the debates?" :rip:  And yeah, I kind of still think that's true. I just think: if Trump gave the appearance of beating HRC in the debates despite her ability to keep her cool, I can't imagine Liz looking great as she responds to Trump's jabs. UGH, idk.

10 hours ago, Temporal said:

Catch me running for Texas' Senate seat in 2030 once I've got my J.D. and scrubbed the entire internet clean of my nudes and assassinated those who have them!

:biblio:

Maybe someone will leak them if your polling sags and you need a boost :nicole2:

I am for M4A paid for by massive reduction in the military budget and another tax overhaul, both of which will likely be struck down by this Supreme Court for the next 20 years (at a minimum given their age) even if the Republican Senate stronghold (that will increase given the Rust Belt turning more rural and older and millennials leave in accelerating numbers) falls. Neither should be a deterrent for attempts to be made but assessing the environment is important. I am against absolutism or nothing and don't accept the premise that accepting incrementalism is settling or one of a number of things it has been described as by multiple folks here.

I am for write-ins on ballots in general elections based on people's principles that are even against the general candidate that was picked but against stay homes.

I've said as much and expanded on both of the above concepts four times in conversations here but this is the last time I will until the debates for the record.

The usual I'm putting on ignore - if that's a cop-out so be it and I'll leave other users to hash out their own positions. 

If she continues this way she will dethrone Biden within weeks

:jonny5:

A public option cannot be considered incremental movement to single payer because a public option in a monopolized healthcare system would only offer two-tiered service and have no room to compete. The government plan would struggle like Obamacare did and not in anyway transition us to single payer. 

Healthcare doesn't work as a market. Sick people cannot shop around for competitive pricing and poor people, when healthcare costs money, do not make purchases until they actually need to and are finally sick. There is a reason why no developed country has a majority for-profit healthcare model. 

Neither Warren, Buttigieg or Beto can articulate how a public option gets us to single payer. When they say it gets us closer, they mean it slightly would expand coverage. They don't mean it would transform our system into one more compatible to single payer. How does a policy wonk like Warren have almost nothing besides vague platitudes about "whatever pathway gets us there" when it comes to healthcare financing? I thought she had a plan for everything?

1 hour ago, Scion said:

giphy.gif

I wish I understood what this is supposed to mean 

Posted (edited)

So what do y'all think the 2020 candidates will pick for their campaign song should they make it to the general? My predictions:

Biden - "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" by Stevie Wonder

Warren - "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles

Harris - "Girl on Fire" (live) by Alicia Keys

Buttigieg - "Follow Your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves

Gillibrand - "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten

Klobuchar - "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails

Booker - "Equal Rights" by Lonely Island

29 minutes ago, Chemist said:

If she continues this way she will dethrone Biden within weeks

:jonny5:

The shady "Kamala (D-CA)"  :fan:

Pete at 10%. The cali gays really are coming through :clap3:

2 hours ago, cash3w said:

Yeah the DNC definitely needs to raise the debate threshold even higher. They walk a fine line though bc they don't want to appear as partial to any one candidate 

I mean they’re already being accused of being biased towards Biden and always will be accursed of impartiality by the Bernie bros, so :michael:

Posted (edited)

Interesting thing about that CA poll released this morning, if you combine 1st + 2nd choice support, Warren rises to 1st with Biden and Kamala very close behind.

la-1560382375-vbbt7o7gw5-snap-image

Also some policy polling:

The poll also asked potential primary voters about nine ideas to change federal government policy that Democratic candidates have advocated. Voters were asked whether a Democratic president should “move immediately to adopt” the policy, “take steps in the direction” of the policy or not adopt it.

The strongest support for immediate action went to expanding background checks for all gun purchases, increasing taxes on the wealthy and higher pay for K-12 teachers nationwide. Immigration reform that provides a pathway to citizenship for some people in the country illegally and a Green New Deal that moves the economy to renewable energy also drew large majorities supporting immediate adoption. Support ranged from 88% for immediately adopting background checks for firearms sales to 61% for a Green New Deal.

By contrast, most Democratic primary voters wanted to move more slowly on a government-run, “Medicare for all” healthcare system — a signature issue for Sanders. While 48% of voters said they would like to see immediate adoption of Medicare for all, 43% said they would prefer the next president take steps in that direction, and 9% said they opposed the idea.  Voters were also closely divided when asked about making public four-year colleges tuition-free. Two proposals pushed by advocates of criminal justice reform — reducing the length of federal prison sentences for low-level offenders and legalizing recreational marijuana nationwide — also drew split responses. In both cases, about 4 in 10 voters favored immediate adoption, and a similarly sized group backed more limited steps. Almost 1 in 5 likely primary voters said they opposed nationwide marijuana legalization. That was the highest level of opposition to any of the nine plans.