Check Out Pop Culture Talk! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2016 election a traumatic experience for 25% of students

77 posts in this topic

VOSS

election-stress-main_0.jpg

Did the 2016 U.S. election stress you out? If so, you’re not alone. A new psychological study shows that for some young adults, that election had such a severe impact that it caused symptoms often seen in those with post-traumatic stress disorder.

“What we were interested in seeing was, did the election for some people constitute a traumatic experience? And we found that it did for 25 percent of young adults,” said lead author Melissa Hagan, an assistant professor of psychology at San Francisco State University.

In the months after the November election, Hagan and her colleagues knew that many of their students had been deeply affected. And a handful of surveys at the time confirmed that the election was a source of stress for people all over the country. But what was missing was a study of how often that stress grew so intense it got in the way of peoples’ lives, interfering with things like work and school.

In January and February 2017 the team surveyed 769 students enrolled in psychology courses at Arizona State University. The students represented a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds, religions, social classes and political identities. Each student filled out a psychological assessment called the Impact of Event Scale, with questions tailored to the 2016 election. “The scale is used to gauge the extent to which individuals have been impacted by an event in such a way that it might lead to diagnosable post-traumatic stress disorder,” explained Hagan.

Twenty-five percent of students surveyed crossed that threshold, showing “clinically significant” levels of stress. The average stress score of students was comparable to the scores of witnesses to a mass shooting seven months after the event. 

Source

VelvetCrush

Perched to see the numbers for the ongoing Brazil election

Pop

I cried that night and I'm not even American. And now I see it was for good reason. 

KillingYourCareer

I mean having to choose between two pieces of trash must be traumatizing but think of Italians having to choose between 8 trash parties...

tylerrcrush

For sure. I remember the eerie, devastated feeling that election night and the next morning.

Now if only all of those students would take that sadness and that anger to the polls this November and actually make some change!

Pie-kun
1 minute ago, KillingYourCareer said:

I mean having to choose between two pieces of trash must be traumatizing but think of Italians having to choose between 8 trash parties...

My God I wish people would stop this "both sides are the same" bull****, you're just repeating Russian propaganda talking points. They were not the same in the slightest, Trump was the objectively worse choice on just about every metric. 

princedonte

I went to bed early on election night cause I was so let down by it all. I woke up very depressed. The president should inspire not dismay.

KillingYourCareer
5 minutes ago, Pie-kun said:

My God I wish people would stop this "both sides are the same" bull****, you're just repeating Russian propaganda talking points. They were not the same in the slightest, Trump was the objectively worse choice on just about every metric. 

Uh, Clinton was slightly worse for me, she seemed very clueless and improvised. Trump might be trash but at least he has generally improved the American economy + he's pro-Israel but that's a personal opinion :clap3:.

OurLuckyStrike

I swear it’s always the foreign users trying to act like they have any idea how significant this election was:skull:

Badger

25 percent of 700 students in Arizona.  Millennials were dragged!

Pie-kun
1 minute ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Uh, Clinton was slightly worse for me, she seemed very clueless and improvised. Trump might be trash but at least he has generally improved the American economy + he's pro-Israel but that's a personal opinion :clap3:.

Only a sexist could view Trump and Clinton on the same stage and think SHE is the one that was clueless and improvised. 

KillingYourCareer
1 minute ago, Pie-kun said:

Only a sexist could view Trump and Clinton on the same stage and think SHE is the one that was clueless and improvised. 

As I said he improved the American economy :cm:

madonnas
6 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Only for the rich.

I know people are going to make fun of this but for a lot of people the nation rallying around Trump felt like a personal attack because it sort of was a personal attack.  If you are trans, a woman, of Latino/a heritage, an immigrant, a POC, etc, trump's selling point was basically to **** you over. 

Dynamo

All over the world too. That day hate/racism won technically.  :emofish:

American politics affect the  planet :emofish:

I remember playing this the entire  day after the election.:dancehall3:

Pendulum

25% of 769 students in Arizona :ahh: not yall screaming 'MEEEEE'

King Maxx
21 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

No you misinformed, uneducated, clueless voter. He did not improve a damn thing.

The first black president and the one who will go down in history as one of the best, Barack Obama DID THAT. 

KillingYourCareer
2 minutes ago, King Maxx said:

No you misinformed, uneducated, clueless voter. He did not improve a damn thing.

The first black president and the one who will go down in history as one of the best, Barack Obama DID THAT. 

I know it started improving during Obama's presidency, but it steadily kept improving during Trump's. He has a billionaire corporation, he's nowhere near being the best choice but he's still more qualified to manage a country than Miss Clinton. :heart2:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0