Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events: S2 - Mar 30

302 posts in this topic

Inception

Watched the show over the weekend. As someone who didn't read the books and was only familiar with the movie, I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. The production values were terrific though.

Favorite episodes were "The Reptile Room", part 1 and 2.

Cupid

Similar to me, I had no previous experience with the story but I really enjoyed the show, binged it all in a day. Weird ending though, not really good for people who don't know the books/film. I had to Google what was happening

Inception
4 minutes ago, Cupid said:

Similar to me, I had no previous experience with the story but I really enjoyed the show, binged it all in a day. Weird ending though, not really good for people who don't know the books/film. I had to Google what was happening

I agree. Hopefully the next two seasons will be less repetitive as well.

Fenrir

Need to start watching this weekend. As someone who's read all the books and seen the movie I'm scared I'm going to be disappointed. :cry:

Spider.

I loved it! I can see how people wouldn't like it because I didn't really like the first episode until the twist at the end.

supaspaz

I'm really enjoying this so far. I love how they've translated the world of the books onto the screen. But I'm extremely skeptical about 

Spoiler

the mother and father characters. If it turns out that the Baudelaire parents are alive after all, I will definitely have to give up on this show. It would be a complete betrayal of the story's entire premise.

Lane Boy

In terms of episodes: The Reptile Room > The Bad Beginning > The Wide Window > The Miserable Mill

I thought the show was alright. I enjoyed the movie more in regards to how it covered the first three books though. Also, Meryl's portrayal as Aunt Josephine will never be beaten. Also, Emily Browning will always be the best Violet but I thought the actor that played Klaus was better in the show.

I hate NPH but I enjoyed his take on Count Olaf! I wish Justice Strauss made more appearances in the books though because Joan Cusack was the best performer on this season. :cm:

Spider.

The ways I prefer the show are I've come to like NPH as Count Olaf. I detested the way he portrayed him in The Bad Beginning. But I liked him as the show went on. I like the somewhat campier feel it has to it and the added storylines are fun. They kinda make me more mad, which I guess is their intention. I hope they write in Justice Strauss more because I miss ha. I still cannot stand the new Mr. Poe :rip: And that season finale made me wanna barf. And that baby needs more work done, half of the time it looked so out of place and fake. Also, less info about what words mean. It was cute for like 5 seconds. Now everytime I hear an interesting word, i know Lemony Snicket is gonna come explain it to me. Also, Uncle Monty was hot and Meryl should have reprised her role as Aunt Josephine.

After all that, I do like the show and I love the fact the 4th and on are finally gonna be visualized. For the time being, I think I prefer the movie.

B'Day

Ralani... how long has it been since you read the books?

Watched the first episode, I loved the visuals and production but I wasn't really feeling it. I'll give the second episode another chance.

Desire

Watched the entire thing over the weekend and it was so good. Sure the movie had a few parts that were better than the show but over all they are off to a great start and honestly starting from book 5 is when things really start getting good 

Koons

I was disappointed with this when I saw the first episode (feel like i've been waiting for it to air for years now) but it got better as it went on.

The sets are spectacular, I sort of hate the over-use of humour they've been using but it got better as it went on. I think I liked the Reptile Room the most.

Dylangaga

The Reptile Room episodes were the best ones. Aunt Josephine slayed though!

I liked it but I didn't love it like I thought I would

It's more of a comedic play tbh

Mzd

It started off so strong, but started to fall flat for me towards the last 2 segments. As a huge fan of the books, I liked it far more than the movie adaption, but it still wasn't spot on. Granted I really hated The Miserable Mills book so those never stood a chance lol. 

peroxideblonde

finished after a day and a half and it was sooo good! i can't wait for the next season

Scandalous

this show is def truer to the books plotwise, although they added some subplots (were Jacqueline and Gustav even in the books?) and switched things around a bit. It's been a few years since i've read them so maybe my mind's a little fuzzy. But the biggest thing I didn't like about it was that we didn't find out anything about the organization until much later in the series, and it came as kind of a major plot twist/surprise to both readers and the Baudelaires. I wonder how they'll deal with it since they already introduced viewers to it in the 1st episode, and the children are already starting to piece it together...kinda makes it a bit anticlimactic imo. but since Handler is involved in the scripts, i have faith.

but other than that I think they did a good job with it. while the movie was darker, this one is more campy and quirky. I really like that they're giving each book the length of a movie, although in some instances it's not entirely necessary (Wide Window could've been condensed to a 1-hour episode tbh instead of adding in that random bit about the restaurant that is not in the books at all). the casting was great overall too. I had my doubts about NPH but he ended up being one of the best actors. the only one i didn't really like was Poe...i liked the movie Poe much better and he was more like the character described in the books. this actor seems kinda random and he doesn't really fit Poe, but I guess they just needed that POC to please tumblr :jonny: Poe also seems a lot dumber than he was in the books fff. his wife is also a pointless character.

They did Miserable Mill SO WRONG tho, there were so many things they screwed up/mixed around/left out in it, but the thing that really ruined it for me is how they let the audience know everything that's going on (or make it super obvious) and then follow as the children find it out, whereas in the books the audience didn't get any of these 'background stories' so we as readers discovered everything along WITH the children. it's one of the things that made the books so engaging and interesting, but here it's just anticlimactic. it doesn't even bother dropping hints, it just outright shows us exactly what's happening

I just realized this sounded super critical, but i actually did really enjoy it. I'm especially excited for the next parts, books 5-9 are the best ones