Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Let's discuss "Alternative" music.

11 posts in this topic

adelegend

Ever since LDR's Born to Die album was released in 2012, it seems as if the gays in particular have a particular obsession with labelling ANYTHING indie / non-mainstream alternative. for example, Lana Del Rey, who makes baroque pop music, not alternative music. And Marina and the Diamonds, she literally makes pop music that's just unpopular :skull:. true examples of alternative artists are :

suburbannature

I know you're just a known Lana-hater and making this thread to provoke people, but I'll contribute anyway.

Born to Die was more "alternative pop" or a combination of trip hop and baroque pop rather than "alternative." (Though, it is cited as such by several major critics.)

However, she did make alternative music with Ultraviolence, much of Honeymoon, her recent singles, and other projects.

Cute
1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

I know you're just a known Lana-hater and making this thread to provoke people, but I'll contribute anyway.

Born to Die was more "alternative pop" or a combination of trip hop and baroque pop rather than "alternative." (Though, it is cited as such by several major critics.)

However, she did make alternative music with Ultraviolence, much of Honeymoon, her recent singles, and other projects.

thank you sis for doing God's work :clap3:

adelegend
3 hours ago, suburbannature said:

i don’t see how i’m trying to provoke anyone here, i would say my post was very respectful .... and as for your argument, ultraviolence has been categorised by those same major critics you’re claiming as being an album of psychedelic origin, and honeymoon as being 

an album of baroque pop & trip hop mainly. her latest work, lust for life, was a broad trip hop album. her latest singles from her upcoming album are nothing but psychedelic music and again, do not fit in the region of alternative music, such examples being the ones i posted in the OP. 

@Cute

enchanted0
3 hours ago, adelegend said:

And Marina and the Diamonds, she literally makes pop music that's just unpopular :skull:.

Maybe you snapped and snapped HARD

adelegend
3 hours ago, jordanjm said:

Can you post more examples of alternative music, you've turned me on to some new stuff with this post

i’ll just list some albums for you to listen to .

Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples ( Alt-Rap )

Cocoa Sugar by Young Fathers

The Dreaming by Kate Bush

The Hissing of Summer Lawns by Joni Mitchell

Homogenic by Björk 

The Idler Wheel ... by Fiona Apple 

LP1 by FKA twigs

M3LL155X by FKA twigs

MASSEDUCTION by St. Vincent

Medulla by Björk ( VERY alternative )

St. Vincent by St. Vincent

Utopia by Björk 

Vespertine by Björk 

Arca by Arca

Vulnicura by Björk 

( highlighted ones are the best of the bunch )

jordanjm
Just now, adelegend said:

i’ll just list some albums for you to listen to .

Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples ( Alt-Rap )

Cocoa Sugar by Young Fathers

The Dreaming by Kate Bush

The Hissing of Summer Lawns by Joni Mitchell

Homogenic by Björk 

The Idler Wheel ... by Fiona Apple 

LP1 by FKA twigs

M3LL155X by FKA twigs

MASSEDUCTION by St. Vincent

Medulla by Björk ( VERY alternative )

St. Vincent by St. Vincent

Utopia by Björk 

Vespertine by Björk 

Arca by Arca

Vulnicura by Björk 

( highlighted ones are the best of the bunch )

Ive heard of a few of the artists but never given them a chance with the exception of Fiona but even then I only use criminal. Thanks for the list. 

adelegend
3 hours ago, suburbannature said:

@Cute

Furthermore, none of LDR’s music fits the criteria of what alternative music is. Her musical structures are very contemporary and common

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0