'ASIB' outgrosses 'Ocean's 8' in the UK

Divine

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga have taken the stage in 31 overseas markets through Friday, belting out a $6M running cume at the international box office. This portends a $15M+ opening weekend for Warner Bros’ A Star Is Born in what reps just 45% of the offshore footprint. Majors still to come include musical-loving markets like Korea and Japan. Factoring in domestic, the showstopper is looking at a worldwide debut frame of around $60M.

With stellar reviews and word of mouth, plus that global Gaga wattage, A Star Is Born had its best bow in the UK with $1M on 809 screens Friday to rank No. 3 (Venom is leading in the hubs where it’s released which is normal given the rush-out nature of superhero movies and the legginess of musicals and dramas that really strike a chord). The comps that WB is using on Star Is Born include the Cooper-fronted Silver Linings Playbook whose Friday score was nearly tripled in the UK. ASIB also came in 88% bigger than last year’s Best Picture Oscar winner The Shape Of Water, 8% ahead of the female-skewing Ocean’s 8 and 5% over Cooper’s American Hustle. Including sneaks, the UK cume through Friday is $2.4M.

A Star Is Born is destined for a strong and long ride after leaping into the limelight, and to deafening response, at the Venice Film Festival in late August. Key upcoming dates throughout October include Korea on the 9th, then Italy, Brazil and Mexico the 11th and 12th, and Australia on the 18th. China is still to be determined, and Japan goes December 21.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/a-star-is-born-opening-weekend-international-box-office-1202477746/

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MrLovett said:

It ranked at #3? Oh dear.

Gwen got #1 on b200 with 69 k sales 

EIL got #2 with 125 k sales 

Which is bigger  ?

Just now, Blade said:

You RAN in here. Hard week for you huh?

I happened to be in the Entertainment section when it was posted sweetheart. I didn't realise my opinion made you that threatened. Maybe try staying on topic.

I would have been surprised if it hadn't. I've literally seen advertisements for this movie every where here :deadbanana4: 

Congrats tho :clap3:   Surprised at it only going #3 though... I was thinking at least #2 behind Venom. 

Before the Dawn
2 minutes ago, Lukey said:

I would have been surprised if it hadn't. I've literally seen advertisements for this movie every where here :deadbanana4: 

Congrats tho :clap3:   Surprised at it only going #3 though... I was thinking at least #2 behind Venom. 

Yeah cause the movie starring Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway and Cate Blanchett, sequel to a huge franchise didn't get any promo and hype.

OT: Gaga won :clap3:

Just now, MrLovett said:

Addressing the facts in the OP makes me an OGH? Interesting.

Camping out in every ASIB thread desperately trying to find a way to downplay its success does

Just now, perfillusion said:

Didn’t Oceans 8 was filled with A-List actresses & Rihanna? 

Yep and it had a bigger budget.

1 minute ago, Before the Dawn said:

Yeah cause the movie starring Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway and Cate Blanchett, sequel to a huge franchise didn't get any promo and hype.

OT: Gaga won :clap3:

I didn't say it didn't? However that movie had a lot of backlash and I didn't see as much promo for that here, then I did for ASIB

OT: Great numbers :clap3: 

1 minute ago, Divine said:

Camping out in every ASIB thread desperately trying to find a way to downplay its success does

Then it's a good job I've been doing no such thing. I literally responded to what you put in the OP. How are you getting this worked up over it?

Remember when certain user tried dragging ASIB with that "Why does ASIB have less Twitter followers than Ocean's 8?" thread?

MrLovett

2 minutes ago, perfillusion said:

Didn’t Oceans 8 was filled with A-List actresses & Rihanna? 

Wait :skull: 

Lights and Waves
13 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

It ranked at #3? Oh dear.

The way you teleported into this thread a half second after it was published :deadbanana4:

reputation1989

Yeah no surprise it's #3, the Johnny English sequel opens here this weekend as well and the last one opened to $7.7m 

Very strong numbers but was expecting a tiny bit higher considering the buzz 😞 I'm sure it's gonna have a leggy run tho and the total this weekend is probs also affected by one of the 3 big UK cinema chains not showing it atm

2 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Then it's a good job I've been doing no such thing. I literally responded to what you put in the OP. How are you getting this worked up over it?

I'm not worked up? :celestial5: I'm relishing in the success of my fave's feature film debut.

Archived