Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why is the Grammy the LEAST prestigious of the awards?

68 posts in this topic

Cest_La_Vie

Seriously. It goes:

1. Oscars

2. Tonys

3. SAGs

4. Emmys

5. Golden Globes

6. Grammys

I remember when Julia Roberts had to go to the Grammys to promote August Osage County and introduced Paul McCartney and everyone from The Hollywood Reporter and Variety, etc. were like "why is Julia slumming it at the Grammys, movie stars don't go to these ****ty awards." She presented the award and ducked out and wouldn't even walk the carpet.

Musicians always act like it's a HUGE deal and honor to go to or perform at the Oscars but movie stars and actors would rather gnaw their arm off then go to the Grammys. Everyone always jokes about the Grammy being the least important or impressive part about being an EGOT. Nobody in the industry seems to respect them. Why?

D.M.F

Lmao at the Golden Globes being more prestigious. It's called EG(rammys)OT for a reason!

Sweetener

The Grammys are kind of a joke in modern times

Ari29

Musicians act like that because the Grammys are musics highest honor. 

Also, Peabody Awards are of higher prestige than Oscars.

Cest_La_Vie
Just now, Ari29 said:

Musicians act like that because the Grammys are musics highest honor. 

Also, Peabody Awards are of higher prestige than Oscars.

I'm talking about awards with big televised awards shows obviously. 

Cest_La_Vie
1 minute ago, D.M.F said:

Lmao at the Golden Globes being more prestigious. It's called EG(rammys)OT for a reason!

And people constantly joke about the Grammys being the least impressive part of being an EGOT because all you have to do is a damn spoken word album to get one. 

The answer is probably that an acting Oscar is actually VERY VERY difficult to get. Only ONE actress in history has four of them while some musicians have 20+ Grammys. 

Shinning

The Goldem Globes are NOT more prestigious than the Grammys lmao.

But I think it's due to the fact that there's so many categories that can be won. Like with an album you can win like 5 Grammys in one night while as an actor you usually only win one Oscar per night so it's harder to get one.

TheCheetahwings
2 minutes ago, Cest_La_Vie said:

And people constantly joke about the Grammys being the least impressive part of being an EGOT because all you have to do is a damn spoken word album to get one. 

The answer is probably that an acting Oscar is actually VERY VERY difficult to get. Only ONE actress in history has four of them while some musicians have 20+ Grammys. 

This is why Grammys get less respect. Not because they arent worthy awards, but because they have grammys dor basically every subgenre. This is how artists get so many and you dont see many actors getting more than 1 Oscar. If the oscars had “best actress in a comedy, drama, horror, action, etc” they would be the same

Cest_La_Vie
3 minutes ago, Shinning said:

The Goldem Globes are NOT more prestigious than the Grammys lmao.

But I think it's due to the fact that there's so many categories that can be won. Like with an album you can win like 5 Grammys in one night while as an actor you usually only win one Oscar per night so it's harder to get one.

Ehhh, I don't know. While the HFPA has had issues, they are somewhat of an important precursor for the Oscars particularly since they are now BEFORE the Academy voting window closes and can influence opinion on the actual Oscar nominees. 

Likingstars

The Grammy doesn’t represent the critical acclaim music anymore.

Shinning
2 minutes ago, Cest_La_Vie said:

Ehhh, I don't know. While the HFPA has had issues, they are somewhat of an important precursor for the Oscars particularly since they are now BEFORE the Academy voting window closes and can influence opinion on the actual Oscar nominees. 

They're important because their a nice indicator that someone could win an Oscar, not because it's a prestigious award. iirc the HFPA is like... 30 people.

Dingdong123

‘Cause Grammys has so much categories that artist can win a gazillion amount of Grammys in a night. They should trim it down tbh.

Cest_La_Vie
Just now, Shinning said:

They're important because their a nice indicator that someone could win an Oscar, not because it's a prestigious award. iirc the HFPA is like... 30 people.

Nobody knows how big the HFPA is or even who is in it anymore. 

But I think it's a toss up between the Globes and the Grammys for prestige frankly. THR and Variety, the main entertainment trades, act like a Grammy is trash most of the time. The Globes took a hit with The Tourist fiasco but they seemed to have gotten it together since then. 

madonnas
2 minutes ago, Likingstars said:

The Grammy doesn’t represent the critical acclaim music anymore.

It never really did. 

Dingdong123
1 minute ago, SeoMania said:

Not to mention That’s What I Like for SOTY. The Recording Academy has lost it :ahh: 

Erreur2 La Nature

The Grammys are seen as a joke ww 

Almighty Gaga

It goes

1. Oscars

2. Tonys

3. Emmys = Grammys

Weed

Well the Grammys give out more awards than the others. That could be a reason

Cest_La_Vie
3 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

It goes

1. Oscars

2. Tonys

3. Emmys = Grammys

No. 

First of all, the Emmys are WAY more prestigious than the Grammys. Do you see how many legit actors and movie stars are gunning for Emmys recently and actually campaigning for them?

Also, the prestige of the SAGs is severely underrated. Nicole Kidman just won her FIRST SAG last year. They aren't easy for film actors to get (tv is a different story) and they're voted on by their peers.

And frankly the BAFTA should be up there too, I just forgot about them. 

Nerevanin

I think that the Grammys are still prestigious a lot but it's true that 1) some of the winners and noms are really ridiculous, 2) they stan success, 3) there are way too many categories

Instant
8 minutes ago, Shinning said:

There's a reason why "Golden Globe winner/nominee" is used all the time + why GG gets so many viewers as well.

It's more prestigious that the Grammys nowadays. It wasn't like that before but it is now

bestfiction
28 minutes ago, TheCheetahwings said:

This is why Grammys get less respect. Not because they arent worthy awards, but because they have grammys dor basically every subgenre. This is how artists get so many and you dont see many actors getting more than 1 Oscar. If the oscars had “best actress in a comedy, drama, horror, action, etc” they would be the same

wait, I never dug into the award thing but I thought Oscars also had awards for different genres :deadbanana4: I guess yeah, this is the reason why then

Cap10Planet

Because they give them out like hotcakes these days, but music is way more diverse and inclusive than movie and television (at least I would say).

And nowadays, I would say that a Tony is the most respected accolade. Let's not act like the Oscars doesn't get a lot of flack for their safeness, lack of diversity and actors/actresses relentless campaigning tactics.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0