Lady Gaga: Biggest singing crossover since Barbra Streisand?

19 posts in this topic

Remixed

hbz-a-star-is-born-1536338051.jpg

“A Star Is Born” opens this weekend as one of the most anticipated releases of 2018. The film’s title may as well refer to its lead actress, Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Lady Gaga, whose previous movie experience came from brief appearances in two Robert Rodriguez films. Her reviews are rapturous and she’s a leading contender for a Best Actress Oscar nomination, all of which could make her the biggest singing crossover since Barbra Streisand.

Hollywood hasn’t seen a singer become a breakout success since Whitney Houston in 1992 — although many have tried. John Singleton’s 1993 “Poetic Justice” featured Janet Jackson opposite Tupac Shakur, which grossed $61 million. She costarred with Eddie Murphy in “The Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps” ($212 million), and was part of a Tyler Perry ensemble in two “Why Did I Get Married” films.

In 2001, Mariah Carey starred in “Glitter,” which was an embarrassing flop. The 2002 “Wise Girls” was a Sundance premiere that went straight to video. After a series of cameo appearances and a minor independent effort (“Tennessee”), she rebounded with significant roles in “Precious” and “The Butler.”

After years of smaller film and TV roles, with “Mudbound,” Mary J Blige became the the first female singer crossover to receive an Oscar acting nomination since Cher. Beyonce made a big bow with “Dreamgirls” in 2006, but her subsequent roles in films like “The Fighting Temptations” and “The Pink Panther” weren’t starmakers. (Of course, she was once slated for Lady Gaga’s role in “A Star is Born.”) Rihanna's taken more tentative steps into movies with “Battleship” and more recently “Ocean’s Eight.”

Others were big-screen blips. Britney Spears was a one-shot wonder in 2002 with Crossroads” ($59 million). Miley Cyrus’ Hannah Montana movie made nearly $100 million, but “So Undercover” (2012) barely received a release.

Full: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/lady-gaga-vs-barbra-streisand-will-a-star-is-born-launch-a-billion-dollar-career-at-the-box-office-1202008576/

MrLovett

"Beyonce made a big bow with “Dreamgirls” in 2006, but her subsequent roles in films like “The Fighting Temptations” and “The Pink Panther” weren’t starmakers."

Both of those films came before Dreamgirls. :ace: Shoddy reporting.

Petty Bourgeoisie

Gaga literally has one starring role to her credit, let's wait a biT before comparing her to one of the biggest box-office attractions of the 70s :deadbanana:

yASSsss

The acclaim just keeps pouring in for Miss Gaga

Remixed

Sweetener

I looked at the reviews and yeah its actually acclaimed, not just on ATRL

Lights and Waves

Since Barbra? Are y'all forgetting when Cher stomped on everyone's throat and won an Oscar?

selenachris
32 minutes ago, Petty Bourgeoisie said:

Gaga literally has one starring role to her credit, let's wait a biT before comparing her to one of the biggest box-office attractions of the 70s :deadbanana:

selenachris
19 minutes ago, Lights and Waves said:

Since Barbra? Are y'all forgetting when Cher stomped on everyone's throat and won an Oscar?

And an acting one!

Monster Megamind
9 minutes ago, selenachris said:

And an acting one!

The op is about a singing crossover. Not about a serious acting role 

stevyy
9 minutes ago, PhilipAguilera said:

Bodyguard>>

yep, Miss Houston remains the blueprint.

ordinarynam
25 minutes ago, 45seconds said:

Cher is alive and well. :gaycat5:

Babra came after Cher if I'm not wrong? So basically it's still right

yASSsss

Edit: Wrong post. I thought it was the Gaga base

OT: yes,she is

45seconds
25 minutes ago, ordinarynam said:

Babra came after Cher if I'm not wrong? So basically it's still right

I’m pretty sure Cher won her Oscar after Streisand. Could be wrong.

ordinarynam
3 minutes ago, 45seconds said:

I’m pretty sure Cher won her Oscar after Streisand. Could be wrong.

well we're both too lazy to check but who cares they're both legends