Jump to content
Check Out Pop Culture Talk! Read more... ×

Disassociate messy artists from the music?

27 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

KasioKas

Hi Atrl, question: Do you disassociate messy artists with the music, particularly if they were an artist you liked in the past? Or do you still enjoy the music?

I feel like some users on here are a tad hypocritical; they continue to support some artists who have been homophobic etc while refusing to forgive others. 

 

A few artists off the top of my head that have done messy, abusive, racist or homophobic things in the past include;

Chris Brown (Abusive relationship)

Sabrina Claudio (racist twitter account)

Azalia Banks

Kanye West (...)

R Kelly (sexual allegations) 

The Migos (homophobic lyrics)

Eminem (homophobic lyrics)

Selena (BLM comments)

6ix9ine

 

Will you be listening to Ella Mai's new song ft. Chris? Do you listen to Sabrina despite the old racist twitter account?

 

Does it depend on the severity of what was done or the length of time since it happened, or do you wait for a public apology? Or do you not care at all and chock it all up to sjw culture.

 

And why are some considered "unforgivable"? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ABeyBraith

RKelly, 6ix9ine, Kanye, Eminem, Migos and Chris are FULLY cancelled. They’re trash beyond words and are unapologetic/still messy. 

 

Sabrina - Apologised, hasn’t been problematic since so I forgive her. Cancel culture is stupid if we’re unwilling to forgive people who apologise AND make a conscious effort to be better. 

 

Selena - Her comments were stupid but she has apologised. I don’t listen to her music anyway. 

 

Azealia - I cant judge her too harshly, she’s bipolar right? She goes through her episodes. She’s still trash and her mental illness is no excuse but I’ll still bop to her music. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keith

I don't care at all. If I like your music, I'm gonna listen to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tsareena

if there's a proper apology and it's not recurrent, I'll still listen tbh but I won't say I stan.

R-Kelly, Chris Brown, Eminem, Kanye are all no's for me since their behavior has been consistently garbage and the music doesn't even make up for it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BOAZ
15 minutes ago, Keith said:

I don't care at all. If I like your music, I'm gonna listen to it.

+1. like films and books. If something is good and I like it, I don't have to pretend like I care about that particular individual's life choices. I simply don't care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beyonnaise

Selena misspeaking in a tweet then apologizing being listed with serial pedophile/rapist R. Kelly :rip: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
madonnas

At the end of the day, we all pick and choose what standards we have and we always have double standards for the musicians we already liked.  I just hope we can try our best to not stream violent peoples' music because that actually enables them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KasioKas
53 minutes ago, madonnas said:

At the end of the day, we all pick and choose what standards we have and we always have double standards for the musicians we already liked.  I just hope we can try our best to not stream violent peoples' music because that actually enables them. 

Well said, suppose i'd genuinely agree although it still comes off as very hypocritical if the act of someone you like and dislike is similar.

58 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Selena misspeaking in a tweet then apologizing being listed with serial pedophile/rapist R. Kelly :rip: 

Read the thread title & op again and maybe you'll understand that it was a quick list of problematic things singers have done?

1 hour ago, ABeyBraith said:

RKelly, 6ix9ine, Kanye, Eminem, Migos and Chris are FULLY cancelled. They’re trash beyond words and are unapologetic/still messy. 

 

Sabrina - Apologised, hasn’t been problematic since so I forgive her. Cancel culture is stupid if we’re unwilling to forgive people who apologise AND make a conscious effort to be better. 

 

Selena - Her comments were stupid but she has apologised. I don’t listen to her music anyway. 

 

Azealia - I cant judge her too harshly, she’s bipolar right? She goes through her episodes. She’s still trash and her mental illness is no excuse but I’ll still bop to her music. 

 

With sabrina though, i'm on the fence, does a manufactured instagram post qualify as a sincere apology? I'm thinking of listening to her music regardless but i'm not sure where to go with her. I think the azalea stanning is hypocritical if they continue to disregard others that have been homophobic in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jay23

whether someone is problematic or not does not matter to me. well, it depends on what they've done but still, I'm in it for the music, and the music only. I don't really "stan" anyone to begin with 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45seconds

I bump to Ignition (Remix) every time I’m drunk and pay for it with the hangover so it evens out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryanicorn

I still listen to their music but a good chunk of that list I don't listen to anyway because their music is bad/hit or miss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phuccery, Inc.

At most, Selena wrote an ignorant tweet about a social movement. Mess at you grouping her with actual pedophiles, abusers, Trump supporting, racist homophobic bigots. 

 

If she’s on here, then every other pop girl deserves to be on here for their trivial **** too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KasioKas
19 minutes ago, Ryanicorn said:

I still listen to their music but a good chunk of that list I don't listen to anyway because their music is bad/hit or miss

Can you name some that you have forgiven or disassociate from their problematic behaviour?

6 minutes ago, Phuccery, Inc. said:

At most, Selena wrote an ignorant tweet about a social movement. Mess at you grouping her with actual pedophiles, abusers, Trump supporting, racist homophobic bigots. 

 

If she’s on here, then every other pop girl deserves to be on here for their trivial **** too. 

It was v. problematic at the time, as evidenced by the twitter outrage and posts on atrl when it happened. It's a sign that cancel culture isn't permanent, and what may be regarded as "trivial" to some, like yourself perhaps, will be forgiven easily, even without an apology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erreur2 La Nature

You seriously need help IF you think Selena Gomez belongs to that list :deadbanana4:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryanicorn
2 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

Can you name some that you have forgiven or disassociate from their problematic behaviour?

Iggy

Selena 

Azealia

Camila

Halsey

Hayley Kiyoko

 

Off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That Bad Eartha

I'll still listen to the music, but I'll just download it somewhere rather than buying/streaming it. Hypocritical? Maybe. But at the very least I'm not enabling them financially.

 

Most of the artists listed in the OP put out garbage music anyways so I didn't really have any issue dropping them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KasioKas
2 minutes ago, That Bad Eartha said:

I'll still listen to the music, but I'll just download it somewhere rather than buying/streaming it. Hypocritical? Maybe. But at the very least I'm not enabling them financially.

Hm interesting, so your conscious is clearer - so to speak - going that route? Hadn't thought of this before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jepsus Christ
2 hours ago, Keith said:

I don't care at all. If I like your music, I'm gonna listen to it.

This. I mean if it's someone I'm really against I'm not gonna support them, but a bop is a bop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VOSS
2 hours ago, ABeyBraith said:

RKelly, 6ix9ine, Kanye, Eminem, Migos and Chris are FULLY cancelled. They’re trash beyond words and are unapologetic/still messy. 

 

Sabrina - Apologised, hasn’t been problematic since so I forgive her. Cancel culture is stupid if we’re unwilling to forgive people who apologise AND make a conscious effort to be better. 

 

Selena - Her comments were stupid but she has apologised. I don’t listen to her music anyway. 

 

Azealia - I cant judge her too harshly, she’s bipolar right? She goes through her episodes. She’s still trash and her mental illness is no excuse but I’ll still bop to her music. 

 

People stay trying to excuse Azealias disgusting behavior lmfaooo

 

@OT yeah I have a bunch of music from artists that are horrible people.  Probably wouldn’t check for their new music, but if I already like it I’m not gonna delete it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bestfiction

Inserting Selena in this list along with homophobes, abusers and rapists, I-

anyway, generally no. I think Azealia is the only problematic artist that I listen to time to time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ABeyBraith
45 minutes ago, VOSS said:

People stay trying to excuse Azealias disgusting behavior lmfaooo

I’m not excusing it as explained in my post, I just don’t need judge her TOO harshly because of her issues. She’s still garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VOSS
1 minute ago, ABeyBraith said:

I’m not excusing it as explained in my post, I just don’t need judge her TOO harshly because of her issues. She’s still garbage.

I mean, Kanye clearly has a lot of issues so why don't you excuse him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ABeyBraith
1 hour ago, VOSS said:

I mean, Kanye clearly has a lot of issues so why don't you excuse him?

I’m not a doctor and I don’t diagnose people. Azealia has openly talked about her mental illness whereas Kanye has never spoken about whether he is or not. And AGAIN, I’m not excusing her behaviour I’m just more understanding of why she is the way she is. Can you please stop putting words into my mouth, it’s irresponsible and gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites