H100: Girls Like You #1, Killshot #3, Youngblood #10

Renan90

8 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

someone else went off on pop and bts stresming parties sre the bane of the charts,  

Good sir, I'll explain it one last time: if anyone was arguing sts were the bane of the charts it was you. You said they were happening for years. You said they impacted the charts in a significant way. I said they had no impact on the charts and thus we shoudn't worry about streaming and its formula don't need tweaking at the present time.

If you felt offended by that audio, I guarantee it was not my intention to mock any of your disabilities. That would be a lowblow that proved nothing.

If you would just stop twisting people's words and meet others in the middle, everything would work out.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slw84

• Green

• Fa1x intelectual

• Mr.Fenty

13 minutes ago, Tsuko said:

If they were effecting the charts significantly and regularly, I would probably be joining you in complaining about them

And so would I

13 hours ago, theweekend said:

Ring at 48! This is great and still has much room to grow on radio. I expect they don’t give up on this because it can go top 20 at least with a decent push.

I mean it's out to b a top 5 rhythmic and urban song. Unless she does a couple  late night gigs/SNL I think it might not peak again for go top 25...and that's fine 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:13 PM, Rentboy said:

US chart should do what UK chart does and only allow three songs to chart from an album in the top 100. This is known as the Ed sheeran effect after he had 16 album tracks in the top 20. I thinks its even more needed in America. All these album tracks clogging up the charts just prevents new artists getting an opportunity to chart. Also affects chart peaks for many artists. Just messes up the charts generally. Most of these tracks are not relevant and will disappear fast so why allow them to distort the singles chart? It serves nobody any purpose except the fans who get to brag.

And what would that do? Give 5 songs an extra week in the bottom 100? It’s not that serious, yet, over here. Ed’s tracks were lingering for weeks - primarily because the UK doesn’t have the numbers we do, and they don’t include radio into their charts for that balance. And regardless of how you and others arguing it sees it, those songs are relevant for that week. As Billboard is a weekly chart. If they fall off next week, they fall off and the other “relevant” songs can continue their journey. It’s not distorting. Doesn’t mess anything up. Trust no fans are bragging about a handful of songs debuting in the 80-100 region. And if it’s a record broken for most debuts from an album, oh well. Not every album has done that and it’s a sign to the interest and hype around the release. As someone mentioned, H100 hasn’t been a singles chart since 20 years, so this outcry is really late and outdated. Peaks being effected is also a weak excuse. You’d need to comb through every Billboard chart and highlight every song affected by some means for that to hold water - as streaming / “album bombs” aren’t the only things that have caused some discourse for songs on the chart.

Cutting down to the top 3 tracks would be pointless, too.. that method is heavily criticized, by the way. As is their method of forcing popular songs to fall down the charts rapidly after just a few short weeks. All of that has been deemed fraudulent and a skewed view of what people are supporting / listening to. Would never work in America, unless we strip away everything that builds the charts.

the 80-100 region is not that important, and if album tracks are going flood top 20 then it will be even more stupid to band them. Drake has 3 or 4 TOP TEN debuts, so what, the rest of his songs would be banned? or even one of the top 10 debut because he had a lot of other tracks on chart. this is ridicilously stupid.

not to mention that most of his tracks stayed in charts for like a month

1 hour ago, slw84 said:

I mean it's out to b a top 5 rhythmic and urban song. Unless she does a couple  late night gigs/SNL I think it might not peak again for go top 25...and that's fine 

I think I got what they’ll do it’s again ‘IOP release’ but this time a little different, TT is the ILI aiming ww success and frontloaded in US due to its inability to do well on radios, while Ring is the Be Careful being released in advance to grow on radio and crossover it to Pop/HAC radio after it gets to Top 5 on RHY/Urban. Ring is a slow burner there’s going to be a final push (streaming because it’s lacking playlists) to it reach a new peak when it’s all said and done on radio. Backin’ it Up will impact after Ring peaks on RHY/Urban and it will keep it afloat until new singles come out.

If this works well this’s going to be great since the physical release or rerelease is pushed back indefinitely.

@simmnfierzig hi! What is the average number of streams does a song at 200 position on united states apple music get? According to your estimations 

the only uproar should be about the premature killing of songs after they fall below 25, and that's more a fault on BB's rules. It was better when songs could chart as long as they stayed in the top 50 (or was it top 40?). 25 is far too low for my liking

5 minutes ago, magazine said:

Egl88PZ.gif%20Egl88PZ.gif%20

Yeah, that about sums it up

6 hours ago, Monster Megamind said:

@simmnfierzig hi! What is the average number of streams does a song at 200 position on united states apple music get? According to your estimations 

Is always use the same Spotify position as an estimate. 

So 200 on Spotify for 200 on Apple Music

5 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Is always use the same Spotify position as an estimate. 

So 200 on Spotify for 200 on Apple Music

Thanks 

6 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Why does it only matter if it’s significantly affecting the charts?  Why do minor infractions just not matter?

Thst is mostly rhetorical.  Because it’s atrl. And only #1 or girls going top ten matter,  hell, just look st this page. At least three prominent posters have said who cares about the low end of the charts. They don’t give a damn what happens to thst, as long as they get their number one.

Its a hot 100 for a reason. In fact most labels care more sbout 75-100 than what’s number one

I would say it's not a big deal if it doesn't significantly effect the charts because there have always been ways to manipulate the charts. Multi-buying, Spotify playlists, Youtube adverts, remixes, radio payola, etc. I think if the effect is not significant, it's not worth dealing with it.

If you want to to stop every bit of unfair manipulation, you would have to go to extreme lengths. There's probably been some fan who downloaded a song from both iTunes and Amazon one week who's extra unnecessary sale caused the song to be a position higher on the Hot 100. But you would agree it would be ridiculous (and very difficult) to prevent that, and it's not very common and doesn't usually make a difference to the chart anyway? There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and I don't think streaming parties are significant enough to be over the line, if that makes sense.

I think a better thing would be to just make your own chart, and publish it on a blog each week or make Youtube videos for them or whatever.

Maybe a simple way to do it would be to do it the same as the Hot 100 but attenuate (or completely remove) the On-Demand streaming. Then the album bombs would be much less drastic and it wouldn't be so hip hop dominated either, and the chart would move faster too. Album tracks and hip hop music don't do quite THAT well on either Youtube streaming or the Pandora programmed-type streaming.

Or you could do a chart that is AC+HAC+UAC+AAA+Country+Active Rock+Alternative (+ CHR maybe) combined with iTunes downloads to try and make some kind of "Adult Contemporary" Hot 100. There's lots of other possibilities, and there's so much data out there you can use.

Edited by Tsuko

1 minute ago, ChartsFan said:

There have always been ways,  all I was doing was pointing out a couple current ones, album bombs and streaming parties, both bts topics I didn’t raise first but simply commented on.

as well because I commented, or made an observation, doesn’t mean I’m @ thusly for or against the practices.

fun fact  it only takes 2600 fans four hours to generated a hot 100 point during a streaming party.

significant? Depends on who you ask and the circumstances, we”ve had numerous eeeks both simm and green have had #10 and #11 tied in point estimates. Personally I consider that significant affect on the charts,

I understand what you're saying, but streaming parties are not significant because they hardly ever happen, and when they do it usually has no noticeable effect. I know Youtube and Spotify both stop counting streams from an IP address or an account if it plays the same song on repeat, so 2600 fans can't play a song for 4 hours, instead it would have to be more like 20,000 fans playing a song for half an hour. I think I read years ago that they cap it at 10 plays within a 24 hour period and then they stop counting, although I'm not sure if that was true and/or if they've changed it since then.

Album bombs are significant and common, but I don't think they count as chart manipulation because usually people are listening to them on their release week out of curiosity, or because they're fans of the artist.

15 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Actially i will do one better than that, a dedicated fanbase of 1000 with both Spotify and AM accounts, and also using YouTube could do it in under four hours for the average length song.

and that’s without getting into multiple accounts on each service.

I don't think that's possible to do in reality due to what I said in my previous post.

I think a way it could be accomplished if they all used something like a VPN or TorBrowser and changed their IP address every half an hour so each streaming service would think it's a different person playing the songs. However, most of the time you get an IP address from somewhere like Russia, so the streams wouldn't even count to the Hot 100. Maybe there's a special VPN you can use to always get given a US IP address, I don't know.

I know on Youtube they stop counting your views if you play a video on repeat for too long, but maybe you can get around that if you switch to a different video of the same song every half an hour or so.

But you can't honestly think this ever happens, can you? As I said before, I think the only time it's happened, and potentially made a difference, might be with BTS's recent singles (I have nothing against BTS btw, but I see what their fans are up to on Twitter lol). I've never seen a bunch of 21 Savage fans going around telling others to get in on a streaming party and play his songs on repeat for a few hours to boost them in the charts. If streaming parties were a common thing with rappers, people here would know about it. Also, they'd have to give everybody tutorials on how to get around the loopholes so all their streams count. And on top of that they'd have to get everybody involved to download a VPN + whatever streaming services they don't have like Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, etc. I just don't realistically think it happens very often with large groups of people.

Edited by Tsuko

8 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Doesn’t Apple Music have their own charts finally? Sure I read thst a couple weeks ago somewhere,

Just positions. No numbers

Of course that Drake stan wants album tracks clogging up the charts. So he can make 300 posts bragging about it. Anyways the UK chart stays superior and more fast paced whil the US chart can stay a bizarre mixture of temporarily messed up and stagnant. Why anybody needs to see 20 random album tracks in the chart as if it means anything other than the artists fans were checking them out on release week is still baffling to me. Its just hijacking.

3 hours ago, Rentboy said:

Of course that Drake stan wants album tracks clogging up the charts. So he can make 300 posts bragging about it. Anyways the UK chart stays superior and more fast paced whil the US chart can stay a bizarre mixture of temporarily messed up and stagnant. Why anybody needs to see 20 random album tracks in the chart as if it means anything other than the artists fans were checking them out on release week is still baffling to me. Its just hijacking.

Just becaude it's fast paced doesn't mean it's superior. The turnover rate has always been too fast there.

Forcing a song down the chart with ACR is not accurate to what the biggest song in the country is. That doesnt even make sense

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.