HDD: Abel #1 53k John Mayer #2 50k Bruno #5 Drake #9

alexanderao

1 hour ago, Superiore said:

Yeah. I meant, for the past week, sorry. Since he still topped with similar numbers. :laugh:

Unless we have the weekly track numbers we don't know, but the difference would be in two parts, (i) under the UK method the two highest streaming tracks are weighted down, so that popular singles don't inflate the chart position of the album and (ii) only the 12 most streamed tracks are counted.

Starboy is an 18 track album with a very popular lead single, so it would make quite a difference.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexanderao

• Monster Megamind

• umich

• Chainsmoker

QueenofCopyPaste

So the next album #1s should be

Migos vs. Brantley Gilbert

BIg Sean.

50 Shades Darker Soundtrack

???

26 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

Unless we have the weekly track numbers we don't know, but the difference would be in two parts, (i) under the UK method the two highest streaming tracks are weighted down, so that popular singles don't inflate the chart position of the album and (ii) only the 12 most streamed tracks are counted.

Starboy is an 18 track album with a very popular lead single, so it would make quite a difference.

Mhm. The first method seems like the better one. After all, an album might have 25 tracks but if itsn't popular the number of tracks won't bring it higher streams than a 15 tracks popular album, no?

29 minutes ago, Superiore said:

Mhm. The first method seems like the better one. After all, an album might have 25 tracks but if itsn't popular the number of tracks won't bring it higher streams than a 15 tracks popular album, no?

The UK Charts includes both (i) and (ii) in their formula.

During release week, many people steam all the tracks until they find out which ones they like best. Quite often they won't bother skipping a 30 second interlude, since it's over soon enough. Even if they listen to the first 30 seconds of a filler track, it still counts as a stream.

Imagine your favourite artist releases a 12 track album and in release week 1 million people steam the entire album. Imagine another artist releases in the same week and 1 million people stream every track on that album too, but the other artist included a bunch of filler and interlude tracks to bring the track count up to 24.

Billboard would say that the other artist's album, was twice as popular as the one from your fave.

The UK Charts people would say both are equally popular.

I think the UK charts method is better for determining album popularity.

Edit: but I think this getting a little off topic for the HDD thread.

1 hour ago, Letemtalk said:

The UK Charts includes both (i) and (ii) in their formula.

During release week, many people steam all the tracks until they find out which ones they like best. Quite often they won't bother skipping a 30 second interlude, since it's over soon enough. Even if they listen to the first 30 seconds of a filler track, it still counts as a stream.

Imagine your favourite artist releases a 12 track album and in release week 1 million people steam the entire album. Imagine another artist releases in the same week and 1 million people stream every track on that album too, but the other artist included a bunch of filler and interlude tracks to bring the track count up to 24.

Billboard would say that the other artist's album, was twice as popular as the one from your fave.

The UK Charts people would say both are equally popular.

I think the UK charts method is better for determining album popularity.

Edit: but I think this getting a little off topic for the HDD thread.

This discussion is pertinent 

Yeah it is definitely not off-topic.

My general view is that using anything other than the exact stream counts for albums risks undermining the accuracy of the chart. That said, I agree there's a problem when you can add length and have increased popularity guaranteed. As such, I find the UK's 12-track rule somewhat understandable (I'd like to know how they decided on 12, though— is that the average # of tracks for a charting album?) But their singles rule is absurd imo. 

Edited by alexanderao

I would love to La La Land OST to get at least one week at #1

With Upcoming releases; is there any album big enough to be #1 post grammys or will (likely) AOTY get #1?. Altho i only see 25 and probably Lemonade making that feat tbh. Or Views thanks to its streams

Edited by blackbeatxx

1 hour ago, blackbeatxx said:

With Upcoming releases; is there any album big enough to be #1 post grammys or will (likely) AOTY get #1?. Altho i only see 25 and probably Lemonade making that feat tbh. Or Views thanks to its streams

Migos may block everyone due to big SPS numbers

With these album sales Joanne might have a chance to return to #1 after the Superbowl :gaycat3:

THIS CHART STORY HAS SEEN EVERYTHING

With another 53k, The Weeknd’s Starboy (XO/Republic) spends a fourth consecutive (and fifth nonconsecutive) week atop the HITS Sales Plus Streaming (SPS) Chart. 

Columbia’s John Mayer has the highest-charting debut with The Search for Everything - Wave One—the first batch of songs from his seventh studio album, released as an EP—which appeared at #2 and ended up with north of 50k. 

AFI’s AFI (The Blood Album) (Concord) follows, bowing at #3 with 31k. 

As for the Top 20’s remaining debuts, there’s Starset’s Vessels (Razor & Tie) at #10, the WMG-helmed 2017 Grammy Nominees compilation at #14 and Razor & Tie’s Kidz Bop 34 at #17. 

Interestingly, Grand Hustle/Epic’s Travis Scott sees Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight, which dropped in September, break back into the Top 15. FYI: Scott is featured on the just-released Migos set that seems to have a shot at going #1 SPS next week. 

And with The Grammys only two weeks away, Best New Artist nominee Chance The Rapper’s Coloring Book re-enters at #33. 

When it comes to SPS marketshare, UMG leads with 51%. Then there’s WMG at #2 with 25% and SME at #3 with 21%. 

Over on the Album Sales Chart, the Top 3 is made entirely of debuts. John Mayer’s EP is #1 with 38k, AFI’s album is #2 with 27k and the Grammy compilation is #3 with around 17k. 

It’s also worth noting that, thanks to a great look from a massive Apple TV spot that features Marian Hill song “Down,” the Republic/Photo Finish duo’s album, ACT ONE (originally released in June 2016) re-enters the Sales Chart at #24; it also re-enters the SPS chart at #40. 

And the results from the Album Sales marketshare battle look similar to the SPS rankings. There, UMG is #1 with 50%, while WMG and SME follow with 25% and 25%, respectively. 

Streeting this week is an album from Valory’s Brantley Gilbert, who looks like he’ll be going head to head with the aforementioned Migos in a battle for top honors. There’s also a new one from Sunken Forest/Columbia’s Train.

1 1
THE%20WEEKND%20-%20STARBOY.jpg THE WEEKND
STARBOY
XO/REPUBLIC 52,624 -12%
JOHN%20MAYER%20-%20THE%20SEARCH%20FOR%20EVERYTHING%20WAVE%20ONE.jpg JOHN MAYER
THE SEARCH FOR EVERYTHING - WAVE ONE
COLUMBIA 50,437 --
AFI%20-%20AFI%20(THE%20BLOOD%20ALBUM).jpg AFI 
AFI (THE BLOOD ALBUM)
CONCORD 31,234 --
3 4
la%20la%20land%20-%20various%20artists.jpg LA LA LAND
VARIOUS ARTISTS
INTERSCOPE 30,187 -29%
5 5
BRUNO%20MARS%20-%2024K%20MAGIC.jpg BRUNO MARS
24K MAGIC
WMG 30,160 -7%
4 6 MOANA
VARIOUS ARTISTS
WALT DISNEY 26,376 -22%
9 7 POST MALONE
STONEY
REPUBLIC 25,045 5%
6 8 HAMILTON
VARIOUS ARTISTS
UPTOWN 23,971 -10%
8 9 DRAKE 
VIEWS
YMCMB/REPUBLIC 23,928 -6%
-- 10 STARSET
VESSELS
RAZOR & TIE 23,746 --
7 11 J. COLE
4 YOUR EYEZ ONLY
DREAMVILLE/ROC NATION/INTERSCOPE 22,343 -15%
10 12 TROLLS
VARIOUS ARTISTS
RCA 21,224 -7%
12 13 RIHANNA 
ANTI
WESTBURY ROAD/ROC NATION 19,739 -4%
-- 14 2017 GRAMMY NOMINEES
VARIOUS ARTISTS
WMG 18,750 --
18 15 TRAVIS SCOTT
BIRDS IN THE TRAP SING MCKNIGHT
EPIC 18,364 12%
14 16 TWENTY ONE PILOTS
BLURRYFACE
FUELED BY RAMEN 18,256 -4%
-- 17 KIDZ BOP 34
KIDZ BOP KIDS
RAZOR & TIE 18,112 --
11 18 CHAINSMOKERS
COLLAGE
DISRUPTOR/COLUMBIA 17,767 -22%
13 19 SUICIDE SQUAD: THE ALBUM
VARIOUS ARTISTS
WMG 16,421 -18%
15 20 RAE SREMMURD
SREMMLIFE 2
EARDRUMA/INTERSCOPE 15,568 -14%
16 21 CHRIS STAPLETON
TRAVELLER
MERCURY NASHVILLE 15,152 -11%
24 22 PANIC! AT THE DISCO
DEATH OF A BACHELOR
FUELED BY RAMEN 14,663 20%
20 23 ADELE
XL/COLUMBIA 14,321 -3%
-- 24 NICKY JAM
FENIX
SONY LATIN 13,904 --
17 25 ARIANA GRANDE
DANGEROUS WOMAN
REPUBLIC 13,796 -17%
21 26 SHAWN MENDES
ILLUMINATE
ISLAND 12,808 -12%
-- 27 JACOB SARTORIUS
THE LAST TEXT EP
T3 12,453 --
23 28 SIA 
THIS IS ACTING
MONKEY PUZZLE/RCA 12,293 -5%
22 29 THE WEEKND
BEAUTY BEHIND THE MADNESS
XO/REPUBLIC 12,182 -10%
-- 30 21 SAVAGE & METRO BOOMIN
SAVAGE MODE
SLAUGHTER GANG 11,168 --
2 31 THE XX
I SEE YOU
YOUNG TURKS 10,794 -78%
27 32 KEITH URBAN
RIPCORD
CAPITOL NASHVILLE 10,704 -9%
-- 33 CHANCE THE RAPPER
COLORING BOOK
CHANCE THE RAPPER 10,638 --
25 34 ED SHEERAN
X
ASYLUM 10,429 -13%
19 35 SING
VARIOUS ARTISTS
REPUBLIC 10,232 -35%
26 36 CHILDISH GAMBINO
AWAKEN MY LOVE
GLASSNOTE 10,226 -13%
-- 37 KANYE WEST
THE LIFE OF PABLO
G.O.O.D/DEF JAM 10,108 --
31 38 BRYSON TILLER
T R A P S O U L
TRAPSOUL 10,104 -3%
28 39 GUCCI MANE
RETURN OF EAST ATLANTA SANTA
WMG 9,849 -11%
-- 40 MARIAN HILL
ACT ONE
REPUBLIC 9,777 --
33 41 J. COLE
2014 FOREST HILLS DRIVE
ROC NATION/COLUMBIA 9,700 -5%
30 42 ALESSIA CARA 
KNOW-IT-ALL
DEF JAM 9,646 -8%
-- 43 THE LUMINEERS
CLEOPATRA
DUALTONE 9,442 21%
34 44 BEYONCE 
LEMONADE
COLUMBIA 9,408 -7%
41 45 FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE
DIG YOUR ROOTS
BMLGR 9,220 2%
37 46 JUSTIN BIEBER
PURPOSE
RBMG/DEF JAM 9,131 -7%
32 47 MELANIE MARTINEZ
CRY BABY
WMG 9,011 -13%
38 48 TWENTY ONE PILOTS
VESSEL
FUELED BY RAMEN 8,989 -5%
29 49 METALLICA
HARDWIRED... TO SELF-DESTRUCT
BLACKENED 8,982 -15%
39 50 LIL UZI VERT
LIL UZI VERT VS. THE WORLD
WMG 8,535 -9%

If only Big Sean wasn't releasing 2/3 then Joanne would've went #1 for a second week :rip: 

3 minutes ago, Chaos Angel said:

If only Big Sean wasn't releasing 2/3 then Joanne would've went #1 for a second week :rip: 

I'm a little confused on what to expect from him. His 2015 album did 173k units first week, which is pretty great, but his Twenty88 album with Jhene last year only did 48k :rip:

Edited by Chainsmoker

6 minutes ago, Chainsmoker said:

I'm a little confused on what to expect from him. His 2015 album did 173k units first week, which is pretty great, but his Twenty88 album with Jhene last year only did 48k :rip:

Well, as far as I know, none of the Twenty88 songs received a big push.

Given that Bounce Back is doing significantly better than Blessings (and the climate is more favorable for urban music right now than it was in 2015), I'd expect around 200k for him.

Edited by alexanderao

liberalmusiclover

Bruno is so close to La La Land. Hopefully he has #4 on Billboard. :duca:

Just now, alexanderao said:

Given that Bounce Back is doing significantly better than Blessings (and the climate is more favorable for urban music right now than it was in 2015), I'd expect over 200k for him.

Oh Wow :eek:. I was thinking 100-130k lol.

I edited my post to "around 200k" cause I don't want to sound super-certain. But I think he should be able to do as well as Dark Sky Paradise at the very least.

HDD predicting that now we'll get our first week with fewer than 10 albums selling 10k copies.

It seemed like it would happen last week, but I guess they're not great at estimating Christian albums that are probably sold in specialty stores like Danny Gokey's. 

4 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

HDD predicting that now we'll get our first week with fewer than 10 albums selling 10k copies.

It seemed like it would happen last week, but I guess they're not great at estimating Christian albums that are probably sold in specialty stores like Danny Gokey's. 

Yeah and the #1 album will only sell 10k on the high end.....

As for the Christian stores, that's true. Joey & Rory's Hymns sold around 415k on Soundscan, but sold 100+k more at Christian outlets. That's why Hymns was the #2 selling Country album last year. 

2 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Given that Bounce Back is doing significantly better than Blessings (and the climate is more favorable for urban music right now than it was in 2015), I'd expect around 200k for him.

I Don't **** With You was much bigger than Bounce Back.  

I'd put him on par with his last #'s, possibly a bit lower. (100-150k)
Edited by iHype.

I'm thinking Kehalni can do over 100K+ SPS this week.

Word of mouth for her album is just huge.
Edited by iHype.

Only 10k in sales but 55k in SPS, how can anyone take this chart seriously. its a singles chart now. Have a big single and you have an album that appears popular. 

39 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Only 10k in sales but 55k in SPS, how can anyone take this chart seriously. its a singles chart now. Have a big single and you have an album that appears popular. 

It depends. It's just that Weeknd has a lot of album tracks that are getting a lot of weekly streams still. A Views tea (on a much smaller scale, obviously).

On 1/25/2017 at 3:28 AM, JBJT2786 said:

Not Rih still in the top 15 almost a year since release :deadbanana2:

a video for lotb and a grammy performance could send the album back into the top 10.:cupid:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.