Ella Mai Is First Woman to Top Three R&B/Hip-Hop

rac7d

Ella Mai Is First Woman to Top Three R&B/Hip-Hop Radio Charts Since Beyonce in 2012

Ella-Mai-2018-cr-MEENO-billboard-1548.jp

Ella Mai reaches the top of the Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop airplay chart as “Boo’d Up” advances 2-1. The tune climbs five percent in plays in the week ending July 15, according to Nielsen Music.

With the coronation, Mai is the first woman billed in a lead role to top the chart in 2018. Before this week, Cardi Bsported the last No. 1 for a woman in a lead role when “Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)” ruled for nine frames in September to November 2017.

tumblr_p8s88arqoE1rdibb3o2_540.gif

“Boo’d” also holds at No. 1 on Adult R&B Songs and R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay for a second and fifth week, respectively. Adult R&B Songs ranks titles according to their number of plays across monitored adult-leaning stations, while R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay ranks songs according to audience impressions from both monitored mainstream-oriented and adult-leaning stations.

As “Boo’d” now governs all three charts, it is the first track to earn that triple crown since Bruno Mars’ “That’s What I Like” last year. “Like” dominated for six weeks on Adult R&B Songs, one week on Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop and 12 weeks atop R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay.

Among songs by women, “Boo’d” ends a six-year drought: Beyoncé’s “Love on Top” was the last tune by a woman – in either a lead of featured role – to hit No. 1 on all three charts, in 2012. “Top,” fittingly, was tops on Adult R&B Songs and R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay for seven frames each and earned a lone week in charge of Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop.

The airplay gains also help “Boo’d” earn a new peak on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (No. 4). Also a heavy contributor: the first full tracking week of its remix with Nicki Minaj and Quavo, which dropped July 4. The new rendition accounted for nearly half of the song’s 27,000 sales in the week, up 27 percent from the prior frame. An influx of sales pushed “Boo’d” 4-3 to a new high on R&B/Hip-Hop Digital Song Sales.

Beyoncé :clap3: 

I really hope she doesn’t become a one hit wonder but I can smell it.

6 hours ago, 45seconds said:

her EP "ready" is full of hits; it's not up to her

I really didn’t know any other Urban/UAC hit since Love on Top. Such a proof that R&B are dead this decade :'(

Congrats for Ella!

6 hours ago, Eóghan said:

her EP "ready" is full of hits; it's not up to her

that new song with chris has potential

I hope she isn’t a one wonder. 

13 hours ago, 45seconds said:

same

13 hours ago, 45seconds said:

she might be the sarifice for other up-and-coming R&B acts to do well on the charts :michael: it is what it is

56 minutes ago, Chemical X. said:

she might be the sarifice for other up-and-coming R&B acts to do well on the charts :michael: it is what it is

R&B Desiigner

44 minutes ago, FutureHive said:

R&B Desiigner

exactly :laugh:

10 minutes ago, rac7d said:

what does that mean

Panda is the first trap song to go #1 in a decade

after that more followed

Edited by FutureHive

Ugh, with one of her worst songs. A hot mess.

2 hours ago, 6_INCH_HEELS said:

Ugh, with one of her worst songs. A hot mess.

Did you like naked more

I like her vibe and voice so I hope she isn’t a one-hit-wonder. She’s a better version of Kehlani imo

1 minute ago, rac7d said:

Did you like naked more

Surprisingly yes. I like Naked more, but I don't like the song. :deadbanana: 

Nobody Else would have been better. Anymore could have slayed, but its very Rihanna'ish

Wooo

Chris' impact is just :cries:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.