Madonna Album Rankings

Malibu

The past few weeks I have really been delving into Madonna's discography and I'm loving it!

However, coming in at #13 is EROTICA

This album really doesn't deliver much other than Madge trying to be edgy and slutty. This was around the time she released her controversial and messy SEX book featuring pics of her rimming a man as well as several other **** shots. A song called 'Where Life Begins' on which she sings about her minge captured my attention but for the wrong reasons.

Maybe in 2018, the music is simply outdated but for me there aren't many songs worth listening to apart from the iconic single below which is truly the only song from this album that I LOVE.

Favourite Song: Deeper And Deeper

Edited by Malibu

I know this one is an unpopular opinion but for me, coming in at #12 is RAY OF LIGHT

With all the positive reviews and critical acclaim I was expecting much more from this album. At first listen I was shook to the core by how much I didn't enjoy it, having listened a few times now - there are definitely a few tracks I like on it, inlcuding 'The Power Of Goodbye' & 'To Have And Not To Hold' but overall it's quite a boring listen.

The title track I had obviously heard before and was never a fan, but what this album does give is quite possibly Madonna's best song and definitely her darkest/most haunting...

Favourite Song: Frozen

Next up at #11 it's 2008's HARD CANDY

As a massive fan of modern pop I expected this album to be one of my faves of the bunch, and there are a few tracks that I totally love including 'Devil Wouldn't Recognize You' & '4 Minutes' but there are what seems to be a LOT of filler tracks, or just bad choices. 

Tracks like 'Incredible', 'Heartbeat' and even the opener 'Candyshop' are quite annoying and very screechy in parts. 

Aside from that though, I love that she collaborated with Pharrell on this entire album and his voice can be heard on almost every track!

Favourite Song: Give It 2 Me

Coming in at #10 is MUSIC

Now I'm not sure why Madonna decided to go through a cowboy phase for this albums aesthetic but I kind of love it, LOL!

The title track, one of Madonna's biggest hits was one that I have always loved and I remember it being very innovative and fresh at the time, which Madge always seems to be good at.

The rest of the album isn't quite like the title track but is more guitar based, fitting to the cowboy theme. It's these tracks like 'Don't Tell Me' & 'I Deserve It' that I really like from this album. But I must admit 'Nobody's Perfect' is awfully reminiscent of Rose Mulet... =S

Overall I find this album to be very hit and miss with some absolute bops and a few disastrous flops.

Favourite Song: Gone

Next on the list at #9 is Madonna's sophmore album LIKE A VIRGIN

The first of her 80s albums on the list! I really enjoy her 80s stuff a lot, after her debut I guess this was an attempt to create something similar but I don't feel lives up to the 1st.

The singles from this album: 'Material Girl', the title track 'Like A Virgin' and 'Into The Groove' are some of Madonna's most well known hits, and they are amazing! Some of the other tracks on this album are just as good, but it loses it's momentum in places. The track 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' is by no means a bad song, but I feel it shouldn't have been on the album simply because it ruins the 80s dance vibe that she created so perfectly on her debut.

Favourite Song: Into The Groove

Coming in at #8 for me is 1989's LIKE A PRAYER

Christian's were shook by another controversial era for Madonna as she was accused of blasphemy!

This album is the first time Madonna really reinvents herself with the style of her music. Vocally, I think this is where she is at her best. 

The title track opens this album with a completely fresh style for this time in music and it ended up being another one of her biggest hits. It continues on to give more upbeat pop numbers that are as good as ever, as well as some powerful ballads. You can tell she tried to replicate some the more popular themes from her previous album 'True Blue' (especially in the 2nd half) which worked very well, while at the same time drawing in on some religious themes.

Overall I think it was perfect for her at this time in her career, keeping her relevant and I love it!

Favourite Song: Like A Prayer

Marking the halfway point in this list at #7 is BEDTIME STORIES

After the controversy surrounding Erotica I think this was the perfect natural progression, while still keeping similar themes and music styles she knocked out most of the slutiness. It's still a very sultry album, even possibly more so than Erotica which just feels like 90s **** music.

There are no dance tracks on this album which Madonna had become known for but it really makes the album more consistent as a whole. It's all very low-key and simple which isn't really like any of her previous work. I think if I'd been older than a couple months when this came out I really would have loved it even more at the time, and even though it really is dated I still love it now.

Also this has my favourite artwork of all of her albums (most of them are truly tragic TBH)

Favourite Song: Love Tried To Welcome Me

It's getting hard to choose at this point but coming in at #6 is TRUE BLUE

This is kind of hard for me to put this album so low because 'La Isla Bonita' & 'True Blue' are my top 2 favourite Madonna songs. & 'Papa Don't Preach' is certainly up there in the top 20'.

However, for me the rest of the album isn't all that good. 'White Heat' is another track from this album that I totally love, but TBH I don't really like any of the other 5 tracks that much so for that reason I have to drop it out at this stage!

Favourite Song: La Isla Bonita

Next up at #5 it's Madonna's most recent album REBEL HEART

I feel like this is an unpopular opinion having it so high but I actually quite enjoyed this album when it came out back in 2015. I don't think she picked the right singles at all but overall I think this album is pretty good.

This is her longest album by far with 25 songs, so for me to say that there are only 3 or 4 songs on this entire album that I'm not particularly fond of is quite an achievement for Miss Madge! I think she gets a lot of hate these days purely for being old, but actually - given a chance this is still a great album.

Favourite Song: Joan Of Arc

Sliding in at #4 it's her self titled debut album MADONNA

Released 11 years before I was born, this album is pure 80s dance music from start to finish. Not many albums (and none of Madonna's other albums) do that. There's always a little ballad thrown in to ruin the vibe or something like that, but not this time!

As well as all of the tracks being upbeat and fun, every single one of them is good and could easily have been a single for Madge in the early days of her career. And here we are 35 years later still listening and talking about it.

I must say though, the artwork is awful - but so are so many of the others (especially her greatest hits album GHV2)

Favourite Song: Borderline

Coming in at #3 it's Madonna's 2003 album AMERICAN LIFE

This is another one of Madge's more edgy and controversial phases. Some of the lyrics throughout this album seem like a big FU to Hollywood and America in general, but it's also a personal experience for her so I understand where she's coming from with it & I honestly love almost all the songs on it. 

'Nothing Fails' is one of my favourites and when the choir comes in it is something really special. 'Hollywood' is another favourite of mine and the honesty behind the whole album is something that should be admired. The classic 'Die Another Day' from the James Bond movie is also a part of this album adding to why it's so good!

Favourite Song: American Life

Just missing the top spot at #2 is CONFESSIONS ON A DANCEFLOOR

This is a fabulous album and very nearly snagged the top spot. As well as the hit singles 'Hung Up & 'Sorry' the whole album is filled with amazing club tunes with a lot of 70s inspired synths.

What I really love about this album is the way it is mixed so that there are no gaps like on a regular album, it really feels like being in a club while listening to it. It's iconic and one of her most loved eras!

Favourite Song: Sorry

And here we finally are. In my humble opinion Madonna's best album taking the #1 spot is MDNA.

This is probably not the most popular choice, and honestly when I started to listen to this album I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did based on what I had heard about it. But it is truly a pop masterpiece.. no pun intended, but actually the track 'Masterpiece' is one of the best on the album. 

'Girl Gone Wild' is a great single and probably should have been the lead. Other great tracks from this album include 'I Don't Give A' & 'Beautiful Killer' as well as many many others. If you are a fan of modern pop music you will love this one as much as I do!

Favourite Song: Gang Bang

Thanks for listening! What are your faves? :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.