BB: Ed 350-425K

iHype.

Ed Sheeran's 'Divide' Aiming for No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart With Year's Biggest Debut

Ed Sheeran’s new ÷ (Divide) album is on track to earn 2017’s biggest debut, according to industry forecasters, and should easily give Sheeran his third No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart (dated March 25). Those in the know suggest the set, which was released Friday (March 3), could easily start with more than 300,000 equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending March 9. It’s likely the title could clear a total somewhere in the range of 350,000 to 425,000 units.

Considering the album only came out today, these are initial forecasts that could change dramatically in the next few days, once the album has been in the marketplace for more than a few hours. (Translation: Stay tuned for further updates on Sheeran and his album.)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blackbeatxx

• alexanderao

• iHype.

• musicman101

413k me thinks

Wow, and this is SPS? I expected way more. I'm sure he'll have longevity though.

I expected him to do well over 500K. Shape of You is a MONSTER hit. Castle on the Hill ain't small either. Maybe he was right to be worried about Bey. I thought he'd blitz her numbers.

Edited by benyonce

Just now, Thuggin said:

Wow, and this is SPS? I expected way more. I'm sure he'll have longevity though.

Billboard always posts more conservative predictions.

Wow. I'm shocked kind of, but I still expect 700k, didn't Billboard call like 600k for 1989 at this stage?

Edited by TSLGNMA

It will probably be way bigger tbh.

I'm expecting like 750k at the end.

Edited by IBeMe

Yeah this is Billboard so I'd expect something more in the 450-475k range

He is doing at the very least 500k. Billboard is a mess :rip: 

I thought he was being respectful when he said he was scared of releasing near Bey. But she would've outsold him. I thought he was going to do 1 million SPS, with all the hype from SOY. 

Something isn't adding up :dancehall3:

350k-425k SPS would mean sub 300k in pure sales, just like I predicted. 

2 hours ago, GreasyBruce said:

I think his stature in America was overestimated a bit by the industry. He's only had one real smash there ("Thinking Out Loud") and X did not have a huge opening week. And that album, while very popular, wasn't HUGE like Adele or Taylor Swift or even Eminem's last album. He's big for sure, but not HUUUUGE. I wouldn't be shocked at Divide doing less than 300k pure sales in its first week.

He's honestly not that huge in the US. He's big, popular, well-known, very impressive touring in particular, but he's not a household superstar the way Beyonce, Drake, Adele, Taylor, Eminem, Justin Bieber are (the only ones who can pull of truly huge openings).

And "Shape of You" may be a smash and perfect for streaming, but it's not the kind of song that inspires devotion from fans and would lead to huge album sales.

Edited by GreasyBruce

400k tops, bookmark me. 

The pure sales won't be too high, 200k tops.

This is the first time I've ever seen Billboard do a first-week prediction off less than 1 day (besides 25, because it was just that mammoth of a first week it needed reporting updated by the hour), so this is probably based on like maybe 12 (incomplete) hours of sales. I'd wait for HDD tomorrow afternoon for a confirmation these are sensible numbers being predicted.

2 minutes ago, GreasyBruce said:

350k-425k SPS would mean sub 300k in pure sales, just like I predicted. 

He's honestly not that huge in the US. He's big, popular, well-known, very impressive touring in particular, but he's not a household superstar the way Beyonce, Adele, Taylor, Eminem, Justin Bieber are (the only ones who can pull of truly huge openings).

And Drake

Before this year he only had one song that made the t10 both overall and in sales...

Frank Ocean debuted with 232k pure sales not too long ago. This would mean Ed wouldn't be much higher. There's no way Ed debuts with less than 350k pure sales. :dies:

1 minute ago, Thuggin said:

Frank Ocean debuted with 232k pure sales not too long ago. This would mean Ed wouldn't be much higher. There's no way Ed debuts with less than 350k pure sales. :dies:

X only did 215k and the market has decreased a lot in the three years since. It's entirely possible. Frank Ocean has a very loyal fanbase so I'm not sure why you're using his as a low bar.

Just now, GreasyBruce said:

X only did 215k and the market has decreased a lot in the three years since. It's entirely possible. Frank Ocean has a very loyal fanbase so I'm not sure why you're using his as a low bar.

But X ended up having huge longevity. Ed has definitely built up a sizable fanbase since then. And Frank didn't have a monster lead single like Shape Of You. These numbers obviously aren't bad, but I'd be shocked if they don't go up.

AguilerianAvenger

Slay a bit king Ed. You'll do more than that tbh. 

im sure this wont be entirely accurate but i can picture him FUMING if he doesnt beat starboy's numbers :ahh: 

Edited by rowlet

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.