Check Out Pop Culture Talk! Read more... ×

Down syndrome and abortion - for it or against?

99 posts in this topic

materialboy

I wouldn't and I'd give the child the opportunity to live.

But we are one the same forum that would give their handicapped child for adoption/abort them,so I wouldn't be surprised with the replies.

I'm pro choice, so…

aesthetic bih

Pro life so...

Communion

Women's choice is women's choice. Non-sentient tissue doesn't get a choice, even if you try to pull a sympathy card.

Little Joannester

That's the mother's decision to make. It can be immensly straining to provide for a child with Down's Syndrome. It takes lots of patience and giving up big parts of your life, not to mention to financial costs. However, they're also the sweetest people on the face of the earth, so I understand and respect either decision.

Romantica
Just now, Little Joannester said:

That's the mother's decision to make. It can be immensly straining to provide for a child with Down's Syndrome. It takes lots of patience and giving up big parts of your life, not to mention to financial costs. However, they're also the sweetest people on the face of the earth, so I understand and respect either decision.

Oh My Gaga
1 minute ago, Little Joannester said:

Dante™

G.U.Y. Gaga

My sister is disabled... while I love her my moms life sadly is nothing I could ever do. 

Eizen

Having an abortion is a really tough decision to make, but I'm for it, especially if the kid is going to be at a high disadvantage in life.

That being said, I absolutely respect people who choose to have the kid.

Edit: I'd also like to add that, while I believe the mother should have the final say, this isn't just her decision, as there are more people who will be affected by it.

sex
26 minutes ago, unbothered said:

Down syndrome kids are sweet.

true

but abort anyway

Cain

Well I've personally seen people's lives being controlled by the disadvantage of their kids, and it's not like the kid has it easy either.

Ultimately I think this is a scenario where no one benefits, so pro.

Smarticle
8 minutes ago, sex said:

true

but abort anyway

This made me scream a bit :deadbanana2:

TheSoneNavy
18 minutes ago, Little Joannester said:

TheSoneNavy
9 minutes ago, sex said:

true

but abort anyway

Omg

materialboy
20 minutes ago, Little Joannester said:

These are huge factors too.There a lot of people who won't have the brain/physical ability to take care of such child.Also if you live in a poor country or you don't have the money in that case you probably won't know you'll have a child with Down syndrome tho).

Jukebox

I mean, a woman’s choice is a woman’s choice. She can abort for whatever reason she’d like. 

Personally if I was a woman and I wanted a child and I found out it had Down’s I’d probably keep it because it’s quite a high functioning disability as disabilities go. They fit in quite well with society and have jobs nowadays so I think that would be okay. 

If the child was going to be severely disabled and life was going to be difficult for them, I’d probably terminate the pregnancy. 

Jealous
21 minutes ago, Little Joannester said:

Well said

15 minutes ago, Eizen said:

Having an abortion is a really tough decision to make, but I'm for it, especially if the kid is going to be at a high disadvantage in life.

That being said, I absolutely respect people who choose to have the kid.

Edit: I'd also like to add that, while I believe the mother should have the final say, this isn't just her decision, as there are more people who will be affected by it.

Personally I would do it. It's not just about me having to raise the kid but also how the kid would survive.

13 minutes ago, sex said:

true

but abort anyway

I-

duybeeGAshantiGA

If the kid knows that they are going to disadvantaged in life, I bellieve they also choose not to be born. I am so sorry tbh. But just think, if you are in that situatiom, would you want to be born?

RainDreamer
10 minutes ago, sex said:

true

but abort anyway

Wtf :skull:

Anyway it's not easy raising a child with any sort of disability hey, i would perfectly understand if someone chose not to.