Japan enters "low desire society" phase

48 posts in this topic

In an interview in Voice, management consultant Kenichi Ohmae commented on how after three and a half years, the Abe administration’s economic policy of Abenomics has not had sufficient results, but that if the consumer confidence of seniors could be changed it could give the Japanese economy a major boost.

Ohmae describes the current state of Japan as a “low desire society,” where there is an extreme low desire to possess or consume, and points out that seniors in particular “are preparing for their retirement years with three layers of investment: pensions, savings, and life insurance.” If the perspective and consumer confidence of seniors, who hold the majority of Japan’s 1700 trillion yen in personal financial assets, could be changed, that money would enter the economy, and even if only 1% was used “it would have an impact equal to a consumption tax of 4% or more.”

Regarding the younger generation, who are satisfied with living in a small area such as at their local mall, his sarcastic analysis is, “They don’t buy homes, or any cars but inexpensive cars, and don’t marry. If you look around the whole world, people with such little desire exist only in Japan.” The reason he gives for this is being “worried about their retirement years,” and states, “Even if corporations somehow managed to increase salaries, the workers would not spend that extra money, they would just deposit it.”

xx

Especially distinct in Japan as his example, with the aging population and lower birth rate, there is general sense of passivism among younger generation : slow-growing salary, unclear future, heavy burden. The situation is almost identical in Taiwan. Those factors altogether make young people become not as ambitious towards great success and materialism than before. Rather than desiring to buy estates and cars, achieve high-status, get married,…people are consuming less, and turn to smaller enjoyments. They feel satisfied just having a general career, possessing affordable things. With lower desires, the pursue of “Little certain happiness” which the writer Haruki Murakami brought up in his novel, well describes the current portrait of the society. 

xx

3 minutes ago, licq said:

egarding the younger generation, who are satisfied with living in a small area such as at their local mall, his sarcastic analysis is, “They don’t buy homes, or any cars but inexpensive cars, and don’t marry. If you look around the whole world, people with such little desire exist only in Japan.”

Lies :celestial5:

how depressing :doc: 

Packing my bags 

Late stage capitalism :cm:

2 minutes ago, Pheromosa said:

Lies :celestial5:

dd this

Japan is still an amazing country that I'd love to visit someday.

can you blame them 

Well, seems like that will be the route for the society in general.

i'd rather this

than a high-desire society like neighbors south korea

3 minutes ago, Scion said:

This. The collapse is inevitable, it's just the matter of time and the scale

Regarding the younger generation, who are satisfied with living in a small area such as at their local mall, his sarcastic analysis is, “They don’t buy homes, or any cars but inexpensive cars, and don’t marry. If you look around the whole world, people with such little desire exist only in Japan.” The reason he gives for this is being “worried about their retirement years,” and states, “Even if corporations somehow managed to increase salaries, the workers would not spend that extra money, they would just deposit it.”

Living is becoming far too expensive nowadays. They need to have a backup plan or they'll end up still working just to get by well into their elder age.  This isn't just a Japan problem either, it's worldwide. 

I have low desires, let me move there. :clap3:

and this is a bad thing? We should all try to be less materialistic

6 minutes ago, Scion said:

Marx comes to Japan!

殺すマルクス

Happening in western world too just a little later than in Japan. People born in the years after WW2 probably had the best time in human history. It's been a decline ever since. 

Those factors altogether make young people become not as ambitious towards great success and materialism than before. Rather than desiring to buy estates and cars, achieve high-status, get married,…people are consuming less, and turn to smaller enjoyments. 

Rejecting materialism is a bad thing? :rip: Also lol @ getting married compared to buying a car or house. It's first and foremost an emotional commitment rather than an economic one.

Hardcore capitalists forget that most resources on Earth are finite. We can't keep pumping out cars and houses, the market will encounter a limit at some point. 

lol that's me. I'll be like 30 when I start earning more than minimum wage because I'm gonna be exploited in firms doing unpaid internships until I'm like 27. I'm not even making any plans of buying a house of my own anytime soon because I won't be able to afford it. Guess it'll live like I'm in Friends and just have roomates until I'm 40 :doc: 

What do you expect when everyone screws you over? Businesses overcharging, faking "discounts" or "deals", your bosses willing to cut you to make more profit at a moments' notice, celebrity culture forcing you to pay more for "brand" clothing made from cheap materials, devices that are overpriced, (medical costs for us U.S. gurls), etc.

Yet the old bitches complain about the young people destroying industries because they don't purchase materials as if it's our fault "we don't have enough money".

I just want to save money to get somewhere in life. I don't want ****.

It seems like a good thing.

This thread is depressing me :skull:

how do you say "late stage capitalism" in japanese

I relate to them :clap3:

7 minutes ago, Yndda said:

how do you say "late stage capitalism" in japanese

reitü stagü capi ta rismü