Check Out Pop Culture Talk! Read more... ×

Why are pop girls so trash nowadays?

30 posts in this topic

Tigre

How come today’s pop girls can’t compare to the legends and icons of yesteryear?

We went from Janet, Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, TLC, Aaliyah, Britney, etc to...

the boring basic bitches we have now. 

Why is this happening?

and please don’t come in here with some “Camila” “Dua” “Bebe” mess because on their best days they could never hold a candle to their predecessors. As much as I like them. 

Ghiles

At least we have Tinashe

X99hjDQ.gif

Paddy

because people will support them anyway...  they do not have to give as much as they had to before. All they have to do now is to release catchy tune, payola all over the Spotify and that's it, done and dusted. Why should they bother with live performances that get our attention?  Bebe is boring af, she seems to have no personality - and that's not just her, all the other new girls seem like that too... (not saying they have no personality, but they look like it) Dua at least tries but that's about it... it's just the fact that they do not have to "compete" for our attention or sales anymore since streaming is bigger then ever and everyone is using it, and they do not need to promote stuff on Spotify with performances or image changes etc... 

IndieKid

Yeah idk. Only rap and (some) pop boys are interesting nowadays. Lil Uzi, Ed Sheeran and Drake >>>>> pop girls

janetjacksonstan

You mean we went from Madonna/Mariah/Whitney/Janet TO Britney/Christina/Gwen/Beyoncé TO Katy/Rihanna/Gaga/Adele TO Camila/Dua/Ariana and idek what else. 

OT: the first three generations (Madonna's, Britney's, and Katy's) are AMAZING but now we have trash. Well I enjoy Camila's music, but yeah none of them have the qualities of a performer.

CancerBoi

idk Taylor can't relate

X99hjDQ.gif

poor everyone else

BoyToySoldier

well that's kinda what the stans of Madonna and Janet said about Britney, Xtina, etc.

I guess the difference is that pop music now has become so stale and nobody new is taking any risks or daring to stick out for the fear of backlash with cancel culture. Gaga was the last popstar of her kind.

FutureHive
3 minutes ago, IndieKid said:

Yeah idk. Only rap and (some) pop boys are interesting nowadays. Lil Uzi, Ed Sheeran and Drake >>>>> pop girls

do u really like Ed Sheeran or are u ruffling some gay feathers

YUNGKALIMXEL
2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

because people will support them anyway...  they do not have to give as much as they had to before. All they have to do now is to release catchy tune, payola all over the Spotify and that's it, done and dusted. Why should they bother with live performances that get our attention?  Bebe is boring af, she seems to have no personality - and that's not just her, all the other new girls seem like that too... (not saying they have no personality, but they look like it) Dua at least tries but that's about it... it's just the fact that they do not have to "compete" for our attention or sales anymore since streaming is bigger then ever and everyone is using it, and they do not need to promote stuff on Spotify with performances or image changes etc... 

All of this and also they aren’t the focal point of pop culture anymore, nor are award shows and music shows like TRL and all the other ones that don’t even exist anymore. “Social media stars” and rappers are all people care about. Sometimes I think we let the “celebrity” aspect of pop culture overtake the actual talent, which gave room for the Paris Hilton’s and Kim Kardashian’s. 

americanlife

Most of them just lack that personality and image that all the other pop girls had. But this is a cycle and people will complain about the new pop girls in 5 years and compare them to girls like Cardi, Camila, and Dua. Also, social media has made it easier to do promo without doing anything like shocking performances or videos.

IndieKid
Just now, FutureHive said:

do u really like Ed Sheeran or are u ruffling some gay feathers

Yeah. His albums are trash tho. I admire his performing and I love some of his songs. Got me through hard times

Madonno

I don´t know what happen, but you´re right.

And is our guilt, because WE made it. Without our support, there wouldn´t be Camilas, Duas, or whatever is trendy now. 

X99hjDQ.gif

YUNGKALIMXEL
2 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I guess the difference is that pop music now has become so stale and nobody new is taking any risks or daring to stick out for the fear of backlash with cancel culture. Gaga was the last popstar of her kind.

This isn’t the problem at all lol :skull: There are other ways of being daring and taking risks other than cultural appropriation like:

Madonna’s performance of Like A Virgin at the first VMAs

Gaga’s Paparazzi performance @ VMAs

Britney and the snake at VMAs

Like a Virgin/Hollywood @ VMAs

Madonna’s Erotica era

These were all memorable MOMENTS and concepts that didn’t involve cultural appropriation (maybe Britney’s Slave performance but that’s a REACH)

CancerBoi
3 minutes ago, IndieKid said:

Nobody was talking about her. Anyways...

30517D7400000578-0-image-m-61_1453167054

naturally gorgeous :flower:

is she not a pop girl? :huh:

bewaryofothers

Social media, SJWs, no risks, no talent, no gimmicks, artists/labels trying to pander to certain demographics that won't support them in the long run, etc. It all comes down to the fact that you can get a record deal for just being popular on Instagram nowadays. The 90s and 00s girls had to at least be good at something whether it was singing, dancing, writing, producing or whatever. We have people like Bhad Bhabie, Jacob Sartorius and other useless YouTube/Tumblr/Vine "celebrities" in the music industry now. :skull:

TheSugarVenom

Because they’re not bringing anything new to the table. The closest one to do anything left-of-center was Dua with New Rules but even that doesn’t compare to the wave of music we got from pop girls a decade ago. We just need someone inventive to make an appearance and shake the industry like Britney/Gaga/Katy/Kesha did.

KillingYourCareer

They don't know what to do to avoid flopping so they resort to desperate measures that end up alienating the stans

TheSugarVenom
1 hour ago, IndieKid said:

But I don’t see how these men are any more interesting than the girls? It’s not like they ever deliver any iconic performances and their music is awfully generic too, aside from Drake at times.

dangerousalex

we have Tinashe and Charli XCX 

Tigre
18 minutes ago, Qudron said:

I like them. I didn’t say they were bringing anything new honey.