Trump Tarriffs force BMW to boost China production

31 posts in this topic

FRANKFURT, Germany — Automaker BMW says it will build more of its popular SUVs overseas to offset the higher cost of sending cars to China due to recently enacted tariffs.

BMW also said it will raise the price of South Carolina-built vehicles sold in China to help offset that country's new 40 percent import tax on cars from the U.S., retaliation for higher tariffs on Chinese goods imposed by President Donald Trump.

The dpa news agency reported that Munich-based BMW said Monday it is "not in a position to completely absorb the tariff increases."

Welp!

The real drag in this thread is going to be everyone dragging the administration but nobody dragging BMW for its absurdly high profit margin and basically wanting to pay less than 500$ to manufacture a car it will sell you for 30,000$+, so they are going to China to get even cheaper labor and pay piss poor wages and pay less taxes to put into the US system :fan:

wow this dumpster of a state is going down the drain

Our governor threw a tantrum because of Planned Parenthood and refused lots of money that were going into healthcare. So many deranged people hold positions of power here :rip: 

Just now, Vrx. said:

The real drag in this thread is going to be everyone dragging the administration but nobody dragging BMW for its absurdly high profit margin and basically wanting to pay less than 500$ to manufacture a car it will sell you for 30,000$+, so they are going to China to get even cheaper labor and pay piss poor wages and pay less taxes to put into the US system :fan:

Oh, this too :rip: I guess we expect more from government than corporations but both are ****

So much for bringing back jobs to the US. First Harley Davidson bolting from KC to abroad and now this mess :rip:

This is good because cars cause climte change!

4 minutes ago, LoKoPaNdA said:

Oh, this too :rip: I guess we expect more from government than corporations but both are ****

People want a democracy to do what they want but they also want regulations to protect consumers 

It’s a never ending push and pull 

21 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

:deadbanana4:

30 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

415.gif

That's not what the article says... they're just raising prices on the SC built cars and shifting production to China for Chinese built cars when possible.

35 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

BMW has electric and even hydrogen cars sweetie :fish1:

1 hour ago, that G.U.Y. said:

now y'all want to believe climte change!

5 hours ago, that G.U.Y. said:

:dies:

6 hours ago, Vrx. said:

A 10 percent profit margin isn't that high. Ideally businesses want to aim for a 25 percent profit margin, but it's hard to achieve.

5 minutes ago, Salacious said:

A 10 percent profit margin isn't that high. Ideally businesses want to aim for a 25 percent profit margin, but it's hard to achieve.

10%? Lmao the profit margin is like, 60x the actual cost 

Omg that plant transformed S Carolina... A doom n gloom scenario Detroit 2 incoming

8 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

That's not what the article says... they're just raising prices on the SC built cars and shifting production to China for Chinese built cars when possible.

BMW has electric and even hydrogen cars sweetie :fish1:

Precisely... @Adonis spreading fake news. :lmao:

54 minutes ago, man***** said:

Omg that plant transformed a Carolina... A doom n gloom scenario Detroit 2 incoming

It doesn't say BMW is cutting production at the Spartanburg, SC plant...it says its increasing production in China and raising the price of cars made at the South Carolina plant that are sold in China.

They ship cars elsewhere in the US and around the world from that plant...not just to China.

17 hours ago, Vrx. said:

There is no way it costs $500 to manufacture a car

4 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

There is no way it costs $500 to manufacture a car

It does if your labor cost is near 0

2 hours ago, Vrx. said:

This is their long term goal tho :rip:

Did you miss the data from the last decade posted there too? After all expenses, BMW's current net profit is 10 percent. It's not that hard to understand.

For the record, BMW is a luxury car. If you can't afford one, it's not a necessity. Please provide proof that it costs $500 to produce one car, because it definitely doesn't. Have you ever driven one? I own a BMW, and my car definitely cost more than $500 to build.

11 hours ago, Vrx. said:

10%? Lmao the profit margin is like, 60x the actual cost 

The cost of the car is “low” but you are not taking into consideration the entire supply chain cost (which is huge).

3 minutes ago, Salacious said:

Did you miss the data from the last decade posted there too? After all expenses, BMW's current net profit is 10 percent. It's not that hard to understand.

For the record, BMW is a luxury car. If you can't afford one, it's not a necessity. Please provide proof that it costs $500 to produce one car, because it definitely doesn't. Have you ever driven one? I own a BMW, and my car definitely cost more than $500 to build.

BMW is only a luxury car to middle class American families :rip:

I scrapped my 320 and sold it when I moved to the US. Garbage car

No car isnt a “luxury” when it’s not a necessity like housing, food, and water