• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• Starkboy

• Yog

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the difference between Pop Score and Pop Potential? My impression has been that Pop Potential try to adjust for lower levels of familiarity.

46 minutes ago, EthaneFenty said:

what does this mean?

It's the rank you get by testing random people (around 1.2k people) portions of songs and asking the reception of it. In theory, these results are used by radio programmers to adjust its playlist and satisfy the audience.

For example, "Please Me" has been getting bad callouts since the beginning and that absolutely killed it on radio, in which it had a fire start based on the big names of the song (Cardi B and Bruno). 

It's known that great callouts gives you the biggest chance for radio's longevity. Radio peak could depend on other factors.

42 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

What's the difference between Pop Score and Pop Potential? My impression has been that Pop Potential try to adjust for lower levels of familiarity.

Yeah, that seems to mee.

2 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

It's the rank you get by testing random people (around 1.2k people) portions of songs and asking the reception of it. In theory, these results are used by radio programmers to adjust its playlist and satisfy the audience.

For example, "Please Me" has been getting bad callouts since the beginning and that absolutely killed it on radio, in which it had a fire start based on the big names of the song (Cardi B and Bruno). 

It's known that great callouts gives you the biggest chance for radio's longevity. Radio peak could depend on other factors.

Yeah, that seems to mee.

thank u

8 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

Yeah, that seems to mee.

So Pop Potential might be a better predictor of how successful a song will be while Pop Score is more like how many people like it now (and therefore songs with higher familiarity are at an advantage)?

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

(and therefore songs with higher familiarity are at an advantage)?

This is relative. I feel Pop Score measures in a way every song gets a correctly weighted rank considering two things:

1. If familiarity is higher it's because the song is being played too much across the stations, there's a bigger chance of people getting tired of it (Bigger Familiarity is gonna give you probably bigger Heavy Burnout and even Negative reception, since you're sick of the song already).

2. Song is relatively new when the familiarity is lower, so the reception is more likely to be positive and with a lower Heavy Burnout number since it's "harmless", the song hasn't been exploded enough to hate it of being overplayed. So yeah, song has a low familiarity percentage, but it doesn't get affected too much by Heavy Burnout and a more likely Negative response as if it was an overplayed song.

Wow is very high on callouts but on the CHR it just only hit top 9 then top 10.Is radio payola eh?

7 hours ago, Mezter said:

How is Please Me last? It sounds great on radio

How is Close To Me top 5?:biblio:

15 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

This is relative. I feel Pop Score measures in a way every song gets a correctly weighted rank considering two things:

1. If familiarity is higher it's because the song is being played too much across the stations, there's a bigger chance of people getting tired of it (Bigger Familiarity is gonna give you probably bigger Heavy Burnout and even Negative reception, since you're sick of the song already).

2. Song is relatively new when the familiarity is lower, so the reception is more likely to be positive and with a lower Heavy Burnout number since it's "harmless", the song hasn't been exploded enough to hate it of being overplayed. So yeah, song has a low familiarity percentage, but it doesn't get affected too much by Heavy Burnout and a more likely Negative response as if it was an overplayed song.

I'm not sure exactly how each of the components are weighted, but it seems Pop Score is still very closely correlated to Familiarity though while Pop Potential is more like a predictor of future popularity/Pop Score.

9 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

I'm not sure exactly how each of the components are weighted, but it seems Pop Score is still very closely correlated to Familiarity though while Pop Potential is more like a predictor of future popularity/Pop Score.

Yeah, you could see it that way.

Potential (04/19)

1. (NE) Sucker 91
  2. (-1) Eastside 90 (▼1)
  3. (+1) Wow. 89
  4. (-1) Better 88 (▼1)
  5. (=) 7 Rings 88 (▲1)
  6. (RE) Shallow 88
  7. (-1) Be Alright 87
  8. (-6) Without Me 86 (▼4)
  9. (-2) Sweet But Psycho 83
  10. (-2) Dancing With A Stranger 83 (▲2)
  11. (-2) Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored 83 (▲2)
  12. (-2) Close To Me 81
  13. (NE) Undrunk 80
  14. (-2) You Say 79
  15. (-4) Who Do You Love 78 (▼2)
  16. (-3) Please Me 71 (▼2)

Edited by Ger-55

On 4/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, Ash12345 said:

You got me thinking and you were right. Feel like "Potential" is more an accurate source, it's the Pop Score but without being multiplied by familiarity. Pop Score is more like about the current popular songs, and Potential is more like the future sucess of the song.

Does this mean shallow could have a new wind on pop?!

Shallow :deadbanana2: 

Debuting twice but now with much better positions :deadbanana2: 

Shallow now vs 4 months ago:

Pop Score: 76 (+21)
Potential: 88 (+10)
Pos: 63.6 (+5.9)
Fav: 32.0 (+11.7)
Neg: 20.6 (-1.9)
Net Pos: 43.0 (+7.9)
Heavy Burn: 10.7 (-0.1)
Familiarity: 86.3 (+15.4)

:party:

12 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Does this mean shallow could have a new wind on pop?!

It's getting great callouts.

19 minutes ago, Almighty Gaga said:

Shallow now vs 4 months ago:

Pop Score: 76 (+21)
Potential: 88 (+10)
Pos: 63.6 (+5.9)
Fav: 32.0 (+11.7)
Neg: 20.6 (-1.9)
Net Pos: 43.0 (+7.9)
Heavy Burn: 10.7 (-0.1)
Familiarity: 86.3 (+15.4)

:party:

Love it.

LG6 lead cancelled

Ny7M2rA.gif 

18 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

It's getting great callouts.

The song is turning 7 months in 1 week, lmao :deadbanana2: 

Falling off of top 40 on POP, then re-entering and going top 20. 

Disappearing from the callouts charts and then re-entering again and doing actually amazing, lmao

2 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

Potential (04/19)

1. (NE) Sucker 91
  2. (-1) Eastside 90 (▼1)
  3. (+1) Wow. 89
  4. (-1) Better 88 (▼1)
  5. (=) 7 Rings 88 (▲1)
  6. (RE) Shallow 88
  7. (-1) Be Alright 87
  8. (-6) Without Me 86 (▼4)
  9. (-2) Sweet But Psycho 83
  10. (-2) Dancing With A Stranger 83 (▲2)
  11. (-2) Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored 83 (▲2)
  12. (-2) Close To Me 81
  13. (NE) Undrunk 80
  14. (-2) You Say 79
  15. (-4) Who Do You Love 78 (▼2)
  16. (-3) Please Me 71 (▼2)

OMG SUCKER :jonny5:

They really won the GP 

1 hour ago, Instant said:

Shallow :deadbanana2: 

Debuting twice but now with much better positions :deadbanana2: 

3 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

(-2) Dancing With A Stranger 83 (▲2)

Should I worry 

SBP still top 10, we smiling ???

30 minutes ago, Yog said:

Should I worry 

It's not the best on callouts, but its reception is actually improving from last week. Especially when more people say it's one of their favorite songs and less saying they're sick of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.