Yahoo Finance:"Spotify Playlists can make or break artists."

ISlayForX

No lies detected.

QueenofCopyPaste

Tea. 

we been knew

Very, very true

It's very hard for a song to gain streams without playlists (especially TTH, but also many more).

Too bad there are some labels who haven't figured it out yet

The sad thing is that now it has resulted on a new form of Payola. What a mess, such a corrupt industry.

I was waiting for this study to get posted here. While their methodology is sound, I worry that people will draw inappropriate conclusions from the results. The first thing to note is that they studied eventual returns on playlist placement; that “20M additional streams” figure is over the entire lifetime of a song. That is to say, what they found is that a TTH placement on average gets you 20M more streams than a song not on TTH *when all is said and done.* We don’t know how these effects are spread out over a chart run, and short-term differences could be relatively small.

Also, the same effects matter much more for certain types of songs compared to others. For example, country songs have a miniscule chance of doing well on Spotify without playlist placements. That is not the case for rap songs. So while if a country song is left off of major playlists, that may be a decent excuse for its underperformance, for other types of songs that might not hold.

If you look at Spotify’s SEC filing, you will see that 15% of all Spotify streams originate from curated playlists. That is a relatively small proportion, far smaller than, say, the 36% that originate from user-generated playlists. It is good to remember that curated playlists are not even close to being the most popular medium that people use for streaming music.

And, of course, at any given time there are many songs on TTH that will never become hits. Yes, it can have substantial effects for certain songs, and those songs might accrue substantial benefits from those effects. But it’s not the end-all be-all, and it probably never will be. 

• ATRL Moderator

We been knew, but it's indeed very sad when most pre-10s pop girls (I would say boys too, but they don't seem to have such a hard time with this imo) make better quality of music than what is on the radio and they are totally ignored.

We been knew. That's why Camila visited the Spotify offices so much.:foxaylove2:

3 hours ago, alexanderao said:

I was waiting for this study to get posted here. While their methodology is sound, I worry that people will draw inappropriate conclusions from the results. The first thing to note is that they studied eventual returns on playlist placement; that “20M additional streams” figure is over the entire lifetime of a song. That is to say, what they found is that a TTH placement on average gets you 20M more streams than a song not on TTH *when all is said and done.* We don’t know how these effects are spread out over a chart run, and short-term differences could be relatively small.

Also, the same effects matter much more for certain types of songs compared to others. For example, country songs have a miniscule chance of doing well on Spotify without playlist placements. That is not the case for rap songs. So while if a country song is left off of major playlists, that may be a decent excuse for its underperformance, for other types of songs that might not hold.

If you look at Spotify’s SEC filing, you will see that 15% of all Spotify streams originate from curated playlists. That is a relatively small proportion, far smaller than, say, the 36% that originate from user-generated playlists. It is good to remember that curated playlists are not even close to being the most popular medium that people use for streaming music.

And, of course, at any given time there are many songs on TTH that will never become hits. Yes, it can have substantial effects for certain songs, and those songs might accrue substantial benefits from those effects. But it’s not the end-all be-all, and it probably never will be. 

Yes but what about me discovering the song on TTH and adding it to my playlist and playing it from there. That's what I do 

2 hours ago, Monster Megamind said:

Yes but what about me discovering the song on TTH and adding it to my playlist and playing it from there. That's what I do 

I'm sure plenty of people do that. The point was merely that curated playlists are far from being universally used. 

payola has made or break since the dawn of the music industry 

And when you try to play with Spotify, Spotify will play back :cm:

6 hours ago, Legend E said:

We been knew, but it's indeed very sad when most pre-10s pop girls (I would say boys too, but they don't seem to have such a hard time with this imo) make better quality of music than what is on the radio and they are totally ignored.

Like who in particular?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.