Check Out Pop Culture Talk! Read more... ×

What would happen if most people didn't want to have kids?

18 posts in this topic

Harmonous

I've heard quite a lot of times from a number of people, including str8s, that they don't want to have kids because either a. they're annoying, b. they don't want to bring a child into this messed-up world, or c. it would be too stressful and they've seen how their parents struggled with them and they don't want that kind of "binding" lifestyle.

So what would then happen if most people begin to reproduce less for these reasons? What would/could the government do? Is it time to bring out the artificial wombs or start prefixing all fertile female's names with "Of" & debut the red robes & bonnets? 

Pandora30012

since we're dealing with overpopulation already it wouldnt be a bad thing

EtherealCat

Fertility rates in the developed world are already below what they need to be to replace the amount of people that are dying, it's not really a problem since you can just let in immigrants from the developing world to fill in the gaps and hope that their fertility rates stay high until the robots can do all the work for us. 

Tropez
5 hours ago, EtherealCat said:

Fertility rates in the developed world are already below what they need to be to replace the amount of people that are dying, it's not really a problem since you can just let in immigrants from the developing world to fill in the gaps and hope that their fertility rates stay high until the robots can do all the work for us. 

It’s gonna cause the collapse of some countries because they aren’t having children. Japan, and Western Europe have declining birth rates. I don’t know how they’ll sustain their current governments with the smaller economy. Plus you have immigrants whole likely replace the original populace. 

The future looks rather interesting as Africa comes up with its fast growing economy and population boom. 

jezebelvictoria

The world would be better off. 7+ billion people is too much. 

Dessy

Currently? We'd be fine, probably better off. Long term would be a problem, but I imagine if we thought like that, then we would also see the necessity of continuing the human race. 

Samsara

Low fertility rates almost always lead to societal collapse. The alternative scenario is being defeated and absorbed by surrounding thriving cultures.

cottongrass

What would happen if most people didn't want to have kids?

more cats would have an opportunity to end up in loving homes x 

5 minutes ago, Samsara said:

The alternative scenario is being defeated and absorbed by surrounding thriving cultures.

the alternative scenario, historically, is thriving cultures getting defeated and absorbed by bloodthirsty barbarians, but go off a bit.

Samsara
14 minutes ago, cottongrass said:

more cats would have an opportunity to end up in loving homes x 

the alternative scenario, historically, is thriving cultures getting defeated and absorbed by bloodthirsty barbarians, but go off a bit.

From a cultural demographic standpoint, societies with low/negative fertility rates would eventually undergo a natural and irreversible demographic change which will transform its culture at the most basic levels. No bloody war is necessary. It happened in pre-Qin "China" which was a different ethnic group than what became today's "Han" majority China after the original population failed to replenish itself and eventually got assimilated into the large immigrant populations of the Qin dynasty.

cottongrass
Just now, Samsara said:

From a cultural demographic standpoint, societies with low/negative fertility rates would eventually undergo a natural and irreversible demographic change which will transform its culture at the most basic levels. No bloody war is necessary. It happened in pre-Qin "China" which was a different ethnic group than what became today's "Han" majority China after the original population failed to replenish itself and eventually got assimilated into the large immigrant populations of the Qin dynasty.

are there any examples outside of Chinese terriories because I admit my knowledge of chinese history is lacking.

Samsara
1 minute ago, cottongrass said:

are there any examples outside of Chinese terriories because I admit my knowledge of chinese history is lacking.

Mayan and Roman empires but both involved violent conquests.

cottongrass
Just now, Samsara said:

Mayan and Roman empires but both involved violent conquests.

I was basically referencing Rome's downfall in my comment, yes

Tsuko

The Governments would start paying people to have children. Russia already does this. At least one central European country already does this as well, but I've forgotten which one (I think it's Hungary or Poland or something).

theweekend

Send kids to boarding schools :cm:

KillingYourCareer

That's what's happening in Bulgaria, population is decreasing

KareBear

Increase in immigration. Maybe more incentives for having children. Abortion will be restricted or made illegal. I think if they population gets too low then men the government will try to control women.