Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

[WINNER REVEALED] The Aretha Franklin Singles Rate

842 posts in this topic

fb4168ebc7c600768f40bc670f0b2611.800x800x1.jpgArethaFranklinLadySoul.jpg220px-Aretha_Franklin_-_Aretha_Now.jpg Spirit-In-The-Dark.jpg

ArethaFranklinYoung,Gifted&Black.jpgSparkle_(album).jpgWho's_Zoomin_Who_album.jpgAretha86.jpg

The Aretha Franklin Singles Rate

The Queen of Soul. 75 million records. 18 Grammys. Rolling Stone's #1 Greatest Singer of All Time and #9 Greatest Artist of All Time. The first female performer to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Aretha Franklin is a legend to end all legends, but she's so much more than her numbers.

Aretha didn't just grow up a child prodigy. Being the daughter of C.L. Franklin, the most esteemed preacher of his time, placed Aretha in the very center of African American culture, a place where the political, social, and musical worlds were inextricably intertwined. She was taught piano by The Reverend James Cleveland, given singing lessons by Dinah Washington, and raised by Gospel greats such as Mahalia Jackson and Clara Ward when her father wasn't around. Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, and Ella Fitzgerald occasionally visited. When Dr. King would come to Detroit, he would stay with the Franklins, and C.L. Franklin would help organize protests such as the Detroit Walk To Freedom. Many would compare Aretha's singing style to that of her father's preaching - full of passion and fire, carefully paced, rising and fluctuating in levels until reaching a climax, then finally taken home. Just listen to "Respect." 

So Aretha's very roots and foundation are the culmination of a time, place, and movement that transcends us all. She was neither the first nor the last to crossover from church to Pop, but no one else brought Gospel into the secular world the way Aretha did. It's not just her range or power but her tremendous musicality, her thrilling blend of R&B, Jazz, and Pop, and her boundless emotion that makes her the queen of soul. Her ability to put more raw feeling into a line than you could readily comprehend. What Aretha would improvise in one phrase, other vocalists would take entire songs to express.

Nowadays we love writing think pieces on the meticulously crafted works of stars and their ideas on the issues of race, womanhood, and sexuality (and all well deserved if I may add). But Aretha's singing, her very existence and place within the musical world, is a triumph warranting a think piece in itself. Every bit of her identity, from the church upbringing to the widely documented tragedies of her tumultuous life, fuel the passion behind the voice. 

She's the woman who gave us everything from Mariah's Vision of Love to the melodic backing of Kanye's School Spirit, the reason we have Kpop stars like Ailee covering I Will Always Love You on major TV networks (but don't bother checking that one out lol!). 

There are about a thousand metaphors that try to encapsulate the immensity of the queen. Here's what our president Barack Obama had to say about Aretha:

“Nobody embodies more fully the connection between the African-American spiritual, the blues, R. & B., rock and roll—the way that hardship and sorrow were transformed into something full of beauty and vitality and hope [...] American history wells up when Aretha sings. That’s why, when she sits down at a piano and sings ‘A Natural Woman,’ she can move me to tears—the same way that Ray Charles’s version of ‘America the Beautiful’ will always be in my view the most patriotic piece of music ever performed—because it captures the fullness of the American experience, the view from the bottom as well as the top, the good and the bad, and the possibility of synthesis, reconciliation, transcendence.”

Indeed, there is so much to be said about the entity that is Aretha Franklin, all that she stands for and all that she has accomplished. But I'm not tryna make everyone read her entire Wikipedia article, so it's best to experience her for yourself

PM Friendly List

Spoiler

Never Grow Old -

Precious Lord (Part 1) -

Today I Sing the Blues -

Rock-a-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody -

Runnin’ Out of Fools -

I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You) -

Do Right Woman - Do Right Man -

Respect -

Baby I Love You -

(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman -

Chain of Fools -

(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You’ve Been Gone -

Ain’t No Way -

Think -

You Send Me -

The House That Jack Built -

I Say A Little Prayer -

See Saw -

The Weight -

I Can’t See Myself Leaving You  -

Share Your Love With Me -

Eleanor Rigby -

Call Me -

Don’t Play That Song -

Spirit In the Dark -

Border Song (Holy Moses) -

Bridge Over Troubled Water -

Spanish Harlem -

Rock Steady -

Day Dreaming -

All the King’s Horses -

Angel -

Until You Come Back To Me (That’s What I’m Gonna Do) -

I’m In Love -

Something He Can Feel -

Look Into Your Heart -

Jump To It -

Get It Right -

Freeway of Love -

Who’s Zoomin’ Who -

Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves -

Jimmy Lee -

I Knew You Were Waiting For Me -

Through the Storm ft. Elton John -

It Isn’t, It Wasn’t, It Ain’t Never Gonna Be ft. Whitney Houston -

A Deeper Love -

A Rose Is Still a Rose -

Here We Go Again -

It Hurts Like Hell -

Rolling In the Deep -

Rules

Assign each song a score from 0 to 10 using the list above

Decimals are allowed up to the hundredths place (two decimals)

You are allowed one score of 11 and one score of 10.5 to give to your favorite songs

Submit your scores to me in a PM by (TBA), deadline subject to change since I'm not expecting too many voters

Comments are always welcome alongside your scores

– Have fun!

arethajig.jpg 

Youtube Playlist

Spotify Playlist

17 minutes ago, StonedSoulPicnic said:

:party:

5 minutes ago, tamills95 said:

:duca:

3 minutes ago, asanders10795544 said:

Freeway Of Love is getting a 10:cm:

Slay at me having participants :'( Looking forward to your scores! :heart2: 

4 minutes ago, Subomie said:

will vote but a cackle at that pic of her, and us rating rolling in the deep

We love fashion icons and U.S. Dance #1 hits, sometimes they even go together!

Also if anyone has that jpg of Aretha on her recording camera please send it my way

I'm only participating because the host sent me death threats and held me at gunpoint. 

BRr7uQL.gif

4 minutes ago, Bitchcraft said:

I'm only participating because the host sent me death threats and held me at gunpoint

BRr7uQL.gif

Is that what we're equating to Aretha's RITD cover now?

Anyways don't lie, you BEGGED me to allow you to vote in exchange for my glazed ham recipe. Fatty.

BRr7uQL.gif

1 minute ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

Ugh. I wish I could do this. 

What's stopping you? :'( 

Bump

C5iUjVYUwAAqyk6.jpg

On 2/26/2017 at 5:20 PM, Ace Reject said:

This. Is. Amazing.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:23 PM, Wicked said:

Great rate.

Aretha's #1 stan has arrived. My rate will be in soon.

stock-photo-aretha-franklin-at-the-sony-

How did I not know about this?! Doing this.

It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be is such a letdown. It has no crossover appeal and the women don't sang like we know they can :weeps: 

Can't wait to watch I Knew You Were Waiting For Death to CRASH and BURN.

4 hours ago, Eternium said:

It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be is such a letdown. It has no crossover appeal and the women don't sang like we know they can :weeps: 

I wonder how many people even know that the song exists :skull: Co written by Diane Warren too, bless her

4 hours ago, conatus said:

How did I not know about this?! Doing this.

Hey there boo!

I should work on getting my scores in soon, I've been busy with school

FUN FACT: Aretha was a high school dropout! Sadly we're not all as talented as her so we gotta stick it through

Aretha-Franklin.jpg