Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Divine

'13 Reasons Why' under fire again for graphic rape scene

Divine

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR THE SEASON 2 FINALE OF 13 REASONS WHY / GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF RAPE

The extent to which Liberty High School has issues with systemic, unaddressed bullying, even after Hannah’s death, is illustrated through the character of Tyler (Devin Druid), a loner who passes his time taking photos for the yearbook and who is ostracized by everyone at the school, even kind-hearted protagonists of the series. 

Tyler falls in with a crowd of punk kids, who respond well to his desire to make the kids who tortured him pay through a handful of blackmail and vandalism stunts. He eventually gets caught, disowned by his friends, and sent to a behavioral rehab program after vandalizing the school baseball field. When he returns, the baseball team is not happy with him. Monty (Timothy Granaderos), one of the lackeys of Bryce (Justin Prentice), the jock accused of raping several girls, is particularly unhappy to see Tyler return. 

He follows him to the bathroom and sexually assaults him. The scene is horrifying. 

It starts with Monty bashing Tyler’s head against the mirror and then onto the sink multiple times. Tyler’s eyes are stunned. He’s so startled by the random attack that, initially, he’s not even screaming. Monty screams at him that he’s a f*ggot as he drags him to a stall and starts drowning him in a toilet bowl. That’s when Tyler starts pleading for mercy. 

Two other jocks who were with Monty then hold Tyler down while Monty grabs a mop. You know what’s going to happen immediately. Monty takes the mop handle and forces it up Tyler’s rectum. Tyler’s eyes practically ***** when he’s entered. He starts to scream but the others muffle his mouth. Monty, a muscular and strong teen by any account, is forcing the handle deeper into Tyler with all of his might, the strain on his face mirroring the pain on Tyler’s. When he takes it out, you see how deep it went because of how much of the handle is blood stained.

There are those praising the show for shedding light on that issue, especially for showing that the assault is often not about the sex, but about the power. Monty doesn’t have sex with Tyler, but he sexually violates him. The power of the scene, as disturbing as it is, is the way it mirrors the real and violent trauma of an assault. 

Others, however, are disgusted by what they argue was the unnecessarily graphic nature of the scene, especially given the outcry over the season one suicide scene and the potential harm of its realism. Even with the content warnings and PSAs, they argue that the scene’s explicit detail is triggering, especially those who have experienced sexual assault. For all the talk about raising awareness about the issue, there is also criticism of the use of violence as entertainment and for shock-value buzz, especially considering the young demographic the show appeals to. There are other ways to raise awareness without airing a scene this graphic.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-13-reasons-why-graphic-sexual-assault-scene-did-the-show-go-too-far-again

DonSphynx

The description of the scene alone :biblio: 

Kuntmonster

then don't watch it.

KylieistBoi

I swear people are watching this show just so they can say they are offended :biblio: They have had warnings and even amped up the warning levels for this season if you are in a mental capacity to not accept this as a work of fiction then just completely avoid it. 

SelenaGomez<3
2 minutes ago, Kuntmonster said:

then don't watch it.

Souvenir

DdpnodWV4AArLRM.jpg

AbeHicks

The show was not made for snow flakes

We been knew

Plastik

it's just a ****ing show lmfao gen z needs to die already

Subversive

Am I not in touch or has this season not been nearly as popular? 

Divine
2 minutes ago, KylieistBoi said:

I swear people are watching this show just so they can say they are offended :biblio: They have had warnings and even amped up the warning levels for this season if you are in a mental capacity to not accept this as a work of fiction then just completely avoid it. 

I think the criticism isn't that there was a lack of warning, but because the scene itself should have been edited down considerably, or not even filmed in the first place. It's extremely unsettling to watch and I can't even imagine how triggering it might be to someone who's survived sexual assault. And the show is marketed to teenagers. It's high-key irresponsible.

Divine
5 minutes ago, Subversive said:

Maybe. But it just dropped on Friday and it has 13 hour-long episodes, so it may just be that it's taking people time to catch up.

KylieistBoi
1 minute ago, Divine said:

I think the criticism isn't that there was a lack of warning, but because the scene itself should have been edited down considerably, or not even filmed in the first place. 

Why should they limit their artistic vision in the first place? There is literally no reason for them to limit themselves. As long as it is done as a storytelling vehicle and not used as a shock factor (like Game of Thrones usually does) it is ok. Just because it is controversial or unsettling should not automatically mean that they must avoid it. If it brings people to have a conversation about the act itself (not the portrayal on the show) they have done their job.  

4 minutes ago, Divine said:

It's extremely unsettling to watch and I can't even imagine how triggering it might be to someone who's survived sexual assault.

Hence why they have a billion trigger-warnings. 

scenekiller

I mean, yeah it was extreme, but reality is much more so, and these kinds of things need to be exposed. Yes, people should be able to empathize with victims without being shown the graphic details, but unfortunately a lot of people are de-sensitized to sexual assault.

Hopefully the positive outcome is that it'll be a wake up call for a lot of people.

Pharaoh

Meh the scene wasn't graphic at all, you barely saw anything. Not any more or less shocking than the scenes it has had in the past.

dillan

There's so many trigger warnings on this show, if you can't handle the scene and feel like you need to take time out of your day to COMPLAIN about it, then you shouldn't be watching it.

Supervillain
12 minutes ago, Subversive said:

It’s been out for 3 days..

45seconds

I mean I religiously watch game Of Thrones and the awful things that show has done in the name of gratuitous violence pales in comparison. 

:cm:

ultraviolence.xx

disgusting

TrashyNavy

does that happen in the world or not?? :biblio: I don't watch the show but I hate when TV shows are unrealistic

Jealous
14 minutes ago, Plastik said:

it's just a ****ing show lmfao gen z needs to die already

Why did I scream at this :deadbanana2:

Doogle

I literally just watched it and it's bad but like ..... it's a ****ing show don't watch if it will trigger you. It's not like there's no warnings

Kim Kardashian

When leading charities in these areas are saying that these scenes are too graphic, they are too graphic.

Cut the 'don't watch it then if you're triggered!!!11!' bull****.

The creators of 13RW have shown a blatant disregard for the emotional wellbeing of their viewers.

UnusualBoy

Well, rapes aren't exactly butterflies, unicorns and everything nice, it's something awful. The scene may look to explicit but what's the point of sugar coating it? We live in sensitive a world nowadays...

artangel

I was screaming at that moment and covered my eyes...it was terrifying 

scenekiller
1 minute ago, UnusualBoy said:

Well, rapes aren't exactly butterflies, unicorns and everything nice, it's something awful. The scene may look to explicit but what's the point of sugar coating it? We live in sensitive world nowadays...

This.