Frequently asked questions... Read more... ×

atrlcritic | "Liberation" now

329 posts in this topic

Can we do Maggie Rogers' album?

I'm not sure if this is still going on, but I had so much fun putting this together quickly. I'd love to do more! 

Christina Aguilera - Liberated Once More

Christina Aguilera, Xtina as some more playfully know her as, had stayed silent for almost 6 years, while fans patiently awaited the pop stars return. Finally, the powerhouse vocalist has returned. On "Liberation," the singer finds her voice that seemed to be lost, or rather confused, in the past couple years and on her previous offering of 2012's "Lotus." From the album opening, "Liberation," a calming, string filled piece that ends with one word... remember, Aguilera is about to take the audience down memory lane and also reminder herself who she is. From there, Aguilera explores her world, past and present. "Maria," a thumping Kanye West produced piece, is Christina Maria Aguilera finding her inner child again, that child that worked so hard on the Mickey Mouse club and again in 1999 when her eponymously titled debut album was released which catapulted her to become one of the biggest pop stars of the 2000s. She continues on "Sick of Sitting," a diss at her stint on NBC's "The Voice," letting the world know she won't be sitting down anymore. The album continues into her duet with Demi Lovato, "Fall In Line," a girl power-power ballad that shows off both females vocal chops. "Right Moves" and "Like I Do" are the albums most lighthearted and fun moments on the record, as Christina even raps a bit on the latter. Aguilera continues her exploration of her life on "Deserve" and "Twice," singing "sometimes I wonder what is the meaning of my life/ I found the price of love and lost my mind," on "Twice." The final part of the album is a mix of sex and love with songs like "Pipe" and the vocal straining "Masochist," it also features the first showing of the album we received in May, the weird and funky Ty Dolla $ign and 2 Chainz featured "Accelerate." The record ends with a ballad like only Aguilera can provide, "Unless It's With You." "With You" proclaims Aguilera's love for her partner, "you can ask me in 100 years/ if I would still be standing here/ when we're old and grey I'd answer the same/ oh our love will remain, our love will remain." A stunning love song that will most likely become a staple at weddings for years to come. While the album may seem choppy with unnecessary interludes and some new sounds for old school Aguilera fans to become accustom to, "Liberation" completes the job it was meant to do. Aguilera sounds almost as liberated as she did on 2002's "Stripped," she also seems to be having a pretty damn good time doing it. 4.5/5

I miss doing these. I feel I go in sprees where I want to review everything, and then nothing at all. :'( 

But this was fun. 

Posted (edited)

Liberation 7/10

Christina Aguilera returns after a 6 year hiatus! It's not an impactful comeback but it's definitely a decent one albeit a bit forgettable.. Songs such as Maria, Unless Its With You and Deserve are stand-outs, but unfortunately, Christina decided to promote the record by releasing singles that are very polarizing.. Accelerate, a catchy but over-produced song that gets tired after 10 listens; and Fall In Line,  a total screamfest with Demi Lovato.. One track, Sick of Sittin', is one of the worse try-hard tracks she's ever released in her career..  All in all, it's an album that you would expect from Christina but it's definitely not her best material!