Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

atrlcritic | "Liberation" now

325 posts in this topic

Navyofbadgals

Camila Review

Camila's long-awaited album finally dropped in 2018. Her solo-career started rocky with Crying In The Club and I Have Questions. Both performed not-horribly, but it was certainly underwhelming. Some time later she dropped two songs again, OMG and the Young Thug supported Havana. Both sounded much more like Camila was supposed to be. Especially Havana, which might be mighty similar to Same Old Love, it doesn't feel like a ripoff. It got it's own twist and it sounds exactly what Camila is supposed to sound. Havana is a solid pop song and it's no wonder it smashed, because this is the Camila the GP wants to see

On the album however, Camila tries too hard to be the artist that she simply isn't (yet). With songs like Never Be The Same and others, there is some fun missing in the album that sounds similar to many other songs. Camila is packaged in a way that it wants you to know that she is a true artist, but there isn't much to really praise here for artistry. Many of the production doesn't support her unique tone, nor is it original production. 

And thus Camila's biggest strength is when she isn't trying to be some kind of artist, but just a pop girl who is proud of her roots, as witnessed on Havana. Camila shows potential for the singer, but it's not a good album, that shows that her and her team don't know how to handle her well.

3.5/10

dangerous.

Camila: Review

Camila’s debut studio effort has at last made it’s debut. Opening with strong mid-tempo Never Be The Same, Cabello sets the stage for her album well. She proves that she’s not just a product of the Latin-trend, but here for the long run. All These Years, a short acoustic pop track, follows. The purity of the song is admirable. After a slew of radio-ready hits, Camila tries her hand at a few more midtempos, along with a few ballads. This was a surprise to me, as I assumed her album would mostly be comprised of faster paced radio material. This wasn’t the case at all. While Cabello draws some, perhaps painstakingly obvious, clear inspiration from other artists, she brings something fresh to each track and makes it her own. This album, true to its name, captures Camila’s musical personality well. It showcases her strengths, and gives fans a good selection of songs to hear before they decide what they like best from her. A solid debut album, I must say.

87/100

alexanderao
Just now, Mother Earth said:

Can I still review Camila? I completely forgot

Yes

Mother Earth

"I'm just looking for some real friends, all they ever do is let me down..."

Following her departure from Fifth Harmony, Camila Cabello released a string of singles and promotional singles before earning a worldwide smash hit, "Havana", which features Atlanta-born rapper Young Thug. The original lead single for Cabello's debut, "Crying in the Club", fared well in many European countries and received moderate success in the United States. However, the song and original album concept of The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving. were scrapped in favor of different material after the commercial success of "Havana" in comparison. Upon Camila's impending arrival, the album had been heavily anticipated by many music fans, due to both the decent wait and concurrent success of "Havana". 

Camila overall is mostly tolerable, but lacks originality or a signature Cabello sound. The album could easily be passed as a compilation of tracks rejected by some of her contemporaries. "Havana" has rightfully been melodically compared to Selena Gomez's "Same Old Love", "Into It" to Lorde's "Sober", and "She Loves Control" to the Sia, P!nk, and Stargate collaboration "Waterfall". Cabello shines best on slower, more stripped tracks such as "All These Years", "Something's Gotta Give", and "Real Friends". Cabello also shines the best when using her lower register. When Cabello ventures into her upper register on songs such as "Never Be the Same," she can turn some listeners off with her very high, but unique pitch. Some tracks, such as "Inside Out" and "Consequences" are nearly laughable due to their productions and melodies. "Inside Out" starts with a quick piano ditty, that temporarily makes it seem as if Cabello ditched pop music for Broadway or the Disney Channel. It also doesn't help that the remainder of the record fits into both a Broadway/Disney Channel vibe. "Consequences", a song about heartbreak, seems to only exist to prove that Cabello knows how to rhyme, with obnoxious emphasis placed on rhyming words that make the track nearly intolerable. Furthermore, some of the lyrical content on Camila seems too juvenile or shallow to be taken seriously as substantial lyrics. Most of the times where she wanted to come across as deep were giant misses. The lyrics of songs such as "Havana" and "She Loves Control" are nice breaths of fresh air throughout the record, which is primarily comprised of songs about heartbreak. Said lyrics remind me of the album's original title – a Canal Street Milk and Honey. Cabello delivers some of her better lyrical performances on "All These Years" and "Real Friends", songs that seem to convey the emotion of Cabello very well, but don't make her out to be a wannabe emotional savant.

For future projects, Camila should focus on creating a unique sound. She does not have the vocal prowess to rely on epic ballads for commercial success. Some of her quicker-paced and more light-hearted songs, such as "She Loves Control", show some promise, but lack a sense of novelty. It'll be up to Cabello to find a middle ground to recreate the success of "Havana", a mid-tempo song that both fits her voice well and provides some of her better lyrics throughout the record.

Camila

4.9/10

mnLBAit.jpg

dangerous.
7 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Anyone up for anything?

Cardi's album? Idk.

I'm here for Cardi's album

Bad Things
On 4/15/2018 at 0:48 AM, alexanderao said:

Anyone up for anything?

Cardi's album? Idk.

I'd do Cardi's for sure!

Mother Earth

I'd like to request Joyride or one of Nicki's new singles. :mandown:

alexanderao

Camila Cabello - Camila

8yRtJid.png

Overall Score: 69.2

5 reviews (3 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative)

alexanderao
On 15/04/2018 at 6:04 AM, dangerous. said:

I'm here for Cardi's album

On 16/04/2018 at 2:53 PM, Bad Things said:

I'd do Cardi's for sure!

On 17/04/2018 at 4:33 PM, Mother Earth said:

I'd like to request Joyride or one of Nicki's new singles. :mandown:

Anyone have a preference re: Nicki singles

Cardi has gotten a lot of buzz so maybe others would want to review her as well

alexanderao
21 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

Can we do Liberation?

Sure, if a few others want to. 

wabayou
18 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Sure, if a few others want to. 

Would be up to it x

alexanderao
On 17/06/2018 at 6:44 AM, wabayou said:

Would be up to it x

Great! One more request and we'll get it started. I've changed the thread title to see if anyone will come in

alexanderao
On 15/06/2018 at 5:46 PM, BraveNewSeth said:

Can we do Liberation?

On 20/06/2018 at 2:38 AM, unbothered said:

I would love to see a Liberation review too.

On 20/06/2018 at 4:15 AM, YUNGKALIMXEL said:

I’m here for Liberation ^^

On 21/06/2018 at 9:03 AM, wabayou said:

@alexanderao should Liberation get started, then?

Go ahead

Dana Scully

Liberation_Album-01.jpg

Liberation - 10/10

Fans waited (and complained) about this album for 6 years and finally in June 2018, she released Liberation. To me, and without downplaying the following, it surpassed even Stripped and Back to Basics. I can listen to the whole album from Liberation to Unless It's With You without skipping a track. It's a whole experience.

Liberation, Searching For Maria and Maria are a sort of triptych, you have to listen to them together, back-to-back, without skipping any. I've always loved Christina's storytelling with her music and she exceeded my expectations with this. Especially love the harpsichord and Michael Jackson -sample on Maria, plus the lyrics.

Stadium drums on Sick Of Sittin' are amazing! Christina brings this old hippie-rock feel, from 60s/70s time-period and channels Janis Joplin impressively. 

Dreamers & Fall In Line go together, idea-wise. Am not crazy about Dreamers, since the execution of it sounds a bit cheesy. However, it goes with the narrative of the album and expands the meaning of FIL. So it belongs to the record. Fall In Line honestly made me choked up, as I replayed it for the first times. The beat-drop, the chains, key-change, Christina's and Demi's vocals, feminist lyrics, it's a powerful listening experience. And it still punches you in the gut!

Right Moves is interesting, it's very reggae and chill and Keida & Shenseea features work really well. It's a vibe and feel.

The flutes of Like I Do! I noticed an interesting detail about it as I was listening to this in my friends' place with HQ speakers. There's this sighing after every line of the verses that sounds like dog's breathing. :rip:  Love this song, she can do hip hop when she wants. Goldlink's feature before X's vocal was a nice choice.

Deserve is very smooth, pretty vocal from X. One of the highlights of the album.

Christina presents different textures of her voice on Twice. It's like a hymn with the harmonies, love this song.

I Don't Need It Anymore (Interlude) brought it back to Sick Of Sittin' sonically and lyrically.

Trap drums and hip-hop production of Accelerate slay! It's a divisive track and definite grower. It got so much better with each listen. I really appreciate her diversity and experimental sounds of this album. 

Pipe was a grower for me. Her vocals are understated and effortless and like LID and Right Moves, it's a vibe.

Masochist took me to the 80's with those synths! One of my most replayed tracks for the first times I played the album. The soundscape is beautiful.

Unless It's With You. The proposal/wedding song. Gorgeous and touching ballad, perfect closer for the album.

Overall, Liberation reintroduces Christina Aguilera. She stays current without chasing any trends like the living legend she is.

Rev8
Posted (edited)

So this is my first time doing this and I English is not my first language so don't judge.

Spoiler

Finally, Xtina released an album, she definitely grew tired of failures from her last 2 albums making it (although they were pretty good imo) .
I think that when she started releasing again, she was okay with her work underperforming so she grew as a person.

"Liberation" is an interesting opening, reminds me of a song from a start of a Disney movie.

I was really surprised for her using a Jackson 5 sample (I LOVE J5) on "Maria"
She let her writing scheme do whatever it wants and I think it shows her artistry.

"Sick of Sitting" reminds me of a Beyonce song (maybe from Lemonade?)  because of her angry vocals, it's a dope song.
I don't really feel the genuineness in the song but it's a good track to listen.
She doesn't oversing in it too much (which she usually does) and I love the long singings in the background (if that makes sense) like the.."anymooooooore" thing lol.

I kinda hate her interludes tbh..I think I hate everyone's interludes but some sound more special and personal like Janet's
I didn't really like the "Dreamers" thing, not the first time kids annoyed me!

Fall In Line - I am happy that she made a collab with Demi.
Their VMA performance was not it..but the song alone proves that they do sound great together.
I think the main problem with them is that u can feel the experience in both and how one is older than the other.
I love the "sex" sounds, make it sound ..i dont really know tbh.
I hate the (bolded part) "that's just the way it iiisss"  .
I love their climax and oversinging at the 2:56 part..especially Demi's part.
I don't think X should've used this song for a main single tho..

Right Moves - a Fun Fun Fun song
I don't know why she didnt make it a single? scared that the SJWs will attack her for "stealing" from cultures?
It's a really great song tho
The rapper is okay..I thought she was gonna ruin the song but she came thru ..somewhat, she did okay.
One of my favs for sure

Ughhh!! This SONG! "Like I Do" became an instant fav of mine.
I play the flute so it's even more special to me.(I even learned it (not that it's hard))
She should work with GoldLink more (although I remember him shading her..)
Fav song on the album.

"Deserve" is a strange song.
At the beginning of this review I was wondering if the songs are dated and songs like this one makes me wonder again..
I don't like her singing high (the chorus) ..but then it's all good with the verses and pre-chorus..but I just cant with the song starting with the chorus
U already have this strange instrumental and Xtina coming hard at u with yelling...The song has potential tho.
Only the first 2 lines are the most annoying to me. After that it gets better with the 3rd one..it gets worse with the 4th and then comes heaven again.
If they could've worked from those lines/melody onward without having this big attention-taking part..maybe would've been better?
But I guess for those 3rd,5th,6th and 7th lines to have worked, maybe there should've been something big to make a difference so u could really feel them apart.Dont know if that makes sense.

"Twice" brings me back to listening to The Mystery Of Bulgarian Voices with the harmonies and everything.
It's a track to watch out for.
It continues to sound great even after the main harmonies part.
She ofc has to oversing and make me blush if I am listening around others but its still alright.
Emotion.

I dont Need It Anymore...I kinda love it..she should've turned it into a track.
Its weird backing vocal part drives me in...Lenny Kravitz remix anyone?

Accelerate - This was the first song released from the album right?
I remember it being strange to me..I expected her to be more pop but I guess this kinda set us straight on what to expect from her.
I like it now tho.U have to warm it up.
The part where it's right before the first rapper's lines (2 Chainz?) start, is pretty awesome but it also feels like where the track starts which is the con.
a Kanye produced track if I remember correctly? I expect it to be strange and funky but yea, could've but more empathize on the singer's part too.
Gosh this pervy track tho...

Everyone likes this song - Pipe
I don't really think it's that special..I think other songs are better than it
It's good tho..maybe this reminds me of the "dated" question I put earlier..it feel like it was made with dated schemes but it's one of those old songs that last long.It's smooth and u can feel the emotion without Xtina really singing with her strong voice.
Reminds me of a Tinashe song too (fan here) and Tinashe is known to talk this wait in her songs.
Still a pretty good song tho
I kinda like XNDA too although he feels like he is underage

Masochist - awwhh..reminds me of those indie pop songs some underground artist release (maybe its the instrumental mainly) like..The Pretty Reckless? or maybe Shura.
It's not of my favs.
She loves to sing here too..but we can hear the scratching in her voice.
Sometimes that helps make the effect tho!
It's a good melody, there is a direction.

I feel like I am listening to this song for the first song.
Maybe it's because it's the last song or maybe because it is the most bland out of the others.
It has a catch further into the song but it's not as strong as the other songs'.That's how I felt some of her B2B songs were.
I am wondering if this is her fullest album to date..I mean..I almost like every song here.or Maybe I need to listen to the album more times to know for sure.
Still a good song, reminds me of a Xmas song honestly.
Her singing at the end of the song, some moments were like she was losing control or something but overall it ends good.

Overall, I am glad she finally released something and stayed true to herself.
I don't think she was fully going for commercial success here.
I don't think she was going for critical acclaim either.
I think she just wanted to release something for her fans.
It's a good album.
She hates doing happy songs apparently but I think her happy songs are really great and should continue to do them.
But at this point I think that most adult artist think that doing happy songs seems childish so they do sad slow songs...(although her sad songs feel faster that normal sad songs (at least the ones on this album?)).
I cant pinpoint if I feel if this album is dated..we all know that the album was started in..2015? I am not ever sure I just know it was a long time ago and she was constantly stalling.Maybe some songs do sound old but they still have the magic that some artists cant replicate..
I mean..she is obviously a professional in the melodies and she plays with them more..u have to be more open to hear them here imo.Isn't a bad thing..but that means that the album is made for those who want to listen to it.
This era was good to her fans.Served photoshoots,interesting videos (dont judge her, she hasnt done anything main for 6 years),her performances were okay but she still sticks to her persona of being a mainly a vocalist.
I dont know if we all were expecting her to give us a more poppy,open and GP-friendly album but this shows her growth and independence.

Dont laught at me please 😄  I had more things to say but I completely forgot them lol

Anyways I give her a 8/10