atrlcritic | "Liberation" now

320 posts in this topic

Camila Review

Camila's long-awaited album finally dropped in 2018. Her solo-career started rocky with Crying In The Club and I Have Questions. Both performed not-horribly, but it was certainly underwhelming. Some time later she dropped two songs again, OMG and the Young Thug supported Havana. Both sounded much more like Camila was supposed to be. Especially Havana, which might be mighty similar to Same Old Love, it doesn't feel like a ripoff. It got it's own twist and it sounds exactly what Camila is supposed to sound. Havana is a solid pop song and it's no wonder it smashed, because this is the Camila the GP wants to see

On the album however, Camila tries too hard to be the artist that she simply isn't (yet). With songs like Never Be The Same and others, there is some fun missing in the album that sounds similar to many other songs. Camila is packaged in a way that it wants you to know that she is a true artist, but there isn't much to really praise here for artistry. Many of the production doesn't support her unique tone, nor is it original production. 

And thus Camila's biggest strength is when she isn't trying to be some kind of artist, but just a pop girl who is proud of her roots, as witnessed on Havana. Camila shows potential for the singer, but it's not a good album, that shows that her and her team don't know how to handle her well.

3.5/10

Camila: Review

Camila’s debut studio effort has at last made it’s debut. Opening with strong mid-tempo Never Be The Same, Cabello sets the stage for her album well. She proves that she’s not just a product of the Latin-trend, but here for the long run. All These Years, a short acoustic pop track, follows. The purity of the song is admirable. After a slew of radio-ready hits, Camila tries her hand at a few more midtempos, along with a few ballads. This was a surprise to me, as I assumed her album would mostly be comprised of faster paced radio material. This wasn’t the case at all. While Cabello draws some, perhaps painstakingly obvious, clear inspiration from other artists, she brings something fresh to each track and makes it her own. This album, true to its name, captures Camila’s musical personality well. It showcases her strengths, and gives fans a good selection of songs to hear before they decide what they like best from her. A solid debut album, I must say.

87/100

Can I still review Camila? I completely forgot

Just now, Mother Earth said:

Can I still review Camila? I completely forgot

Yes

"I'm just looking for some real friends, all they ever do is let me down..."

Following her departure from Fifth Harmony, Camila Cabello released a string of singles and promotional singles before earning a worldwide smash hit, "Havana", which features Atlanta-born rapper Young Thug. The original lead single for Cabello's debut, "Crying in the Club", fared well in many European countries and received moderate success in the United States. However, the song and original album concept of The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving. were scrapped in favor of different material after the commercial success of "Havana" in comparison. Upon Camila's impending arrival, the album had been heavily anticipated by many music fans, due to both the decent wait and concurrent success of "Havana". 

Camila overall is mostly tolerable, but lacks originality or a signature Cabello sound. The album could easily be passed as a compilation of tracks rejected by some of her contemporaries. "Havana" has rightfully been melodically compared to Selena Gomez's "Same Old Love", "Into It" to Lorde's "Sober", and "She Loves Control" to the Sia, P!nk, and Stargate collaboration "Waterfall". Cabello shines best on slower, more stripped tracks such as "All These Years", "Something's Gotta Give", and "Real Friends". Cabello also shines the best when using her lower register. When Cabello ventures into her upper register on songs such as "Never Be the Same," she can turn some listeners off with her very high, but unique pitch. Some tracks, such as "Inside Out" and "Consequences" are nearly laughable due to their productions and melodies. "Inside Out" starts with a quick piano ditty, that temporarily makes it seem as if Cabello ditched pop music for Broadway or the Disney Channel. It also doesn't help that the remainder of the record fits into both a Broadway/Disney Channel vibe. "Consequences", a song about heartbreak, seems to only exist to prove that Cabello knows how to rhyme, with obnoxious emphasis placed on rhyming words that make the track nearly intolerable. Furthermore, some of the lyrical content on Camila seems too juvenile or shallow to be taken seriously as substantial lyrics. Most of the times where she wanted to come across as deep were giant misses. The lyrics of songs such as "Havana" and "She Loves Control" are nice breaths of fresh air throughout the record, which is primarily comprised of songs about heartbreak. Said lyrics remind me of the album's original title – a Canal Street Milk and Honey. Cabello delivers some of her better lyrical performances on "All These Years" and "Real Friends", songs that seem to convey the emotion of Cabello very well, but don't make her out to be a wannabe emotional savant.

For future projects, Camila should focus on creating a unique sound. She does not have the vocal prowess to rely on epic ballads for commercial success. Some of her quicker-paced and more light-hearted songs, such as "She Loves Control", show some promise, but lack a sense of novelty. It'll be up to Cabello to find a middle ground to recreate the success of "Havana", a mid-tempo song that both fits her voice well and provides some of her better lyrics throughout the record.

Camila

4.9/10

mnLBAit.jpg

Anyone up for Black Panther?

Anyone up for anything?

Cardi's album? Idk.

7 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Anyone up for anything?

Cardi's album? Idk.

I'm here for Cardi's album

On 4/15/2018 at 0:48 AM, alexanderao said:

Anyone up for anything?

Cardi's album? Idk.

I'd do Cardi's for sure!

I'd like to request Joyride or one of Nicki's new singles. :mandown:

Camila Cabello - Camila

8yRtJid.png

Overall Score: 69.2

5 reviews (3 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative)

On 15/04/2018 at 6:04 AM, dangerous. said:

I'm here for Cardi's album

On 16/04/2018 at 2:53 PM, Bad Things said:

I'd do Cardi's for sure!

On 17/04/2018 at 4:33 PM, Mother Earth said:

I'd like to request Joyride or one of Nicki's new singles. :mandown:

Anyone have a preference re: Nicki singles

Cardi has gotten a lot of buzz so maybe others would want to review her as well

Can we do Liberation?

21 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

Can we do Liberation?

Sure, if a few others want to. 

18 hours ago, alexanderao said:

Sure, if a few others want to. 

Would be up to it x

On 17/06/2018 at 6:44 AM, wabayou said:

Would be up to it x

Great! One more request and we'll get it started. I've changed the thread title to see if anyone will come in

I would love to see a Liberation review too.

I’m here for Liberation ^^

@alexanderao should Liberation get started, then?

On 15/06/2018 at 5:46 PM, BraveNewSeth said:

Can we do Liberation?

On 20/06/2018 at 2:38 AM, unbothered said:

I would love to see a Liberation review too.

On 20/06/2018 at 4:15 AM, YUNGKALIMXEL said:

I’m here for Liberation ^^

On 21/06/2018 at 9:03 AM, wabayou said:

@alexanderao should Liberation get started, then?

Go ahead