Mariah reveals bipolar battle

192 posts in this topic

“Until recently I lived in denial and isolation and in constant fear someone would expose me,” she says. “It was too heavy a burden to carry and I simply couldn’t do that anymore. I sought and received treatment, I put positive people around me and I got back to doing what I love — writing songs and making music.”

She is now in therapy and taking medication for bipolar II disorder, which involves periods of depression as well as hypomania (less severe than the mania associated with bipolar I disorder, but can still cause irritability, sleeplessness and hyperactivity).

“For a long time I thought I had a severe sleep disorder,” continues Carey, now back in the studio working on an album due later this year. “But it wasn’t normal insomnia and I wasn’t lying awake counting sheep. I was working and working and working … I was irritable and in constant fear of letting people down. It turns out that I was experiencing a form of mania. Eventually I would just hit a wall. I guess my depressive episodes were characterized by having very low energy. I would feel so lonely and sad — even guilty that I wasn’t doing what I needed to be doing for my career.”

Full Store here

:jonny:

We still love you Skinny Legend.

I'm shook, but congratulations to talk about it skinny legend. We are with you :date3:

I don't mean to sound shady but this explains so much regarding her behaviour. I hope she's doing better. :heart2:

wow, that's awful. proud of her for sharing this and being part of normalizing it

i love you mariah carey

That explains her shady behavior 

Omg. I never would have thought. I know people have joked about this for years, but I never thought it may have had some truth for it. I’m glad she feels ok to speak about it though! Love her. :heart2:

http://people.com/music/mariah-carey-bipolar-disorder-diagnosis-exclusive/

She is now in therapy and taking medication for bipolar II disorder, which involves periods of depression as well as hypomania (less severe than the mania associated with bipolar I disorder, but can still cause irritability, sleeplessness and hyperactivity).

“I’m actually taking medication that seems to be pretty good. It’s not making me feel too tired or sluggish or anything like that. Finding the proper balance is what is most important,” Carey tells PEOPLE.

“For a long time I thought I had a severe sleep disorder,” continues Carey, now back in the studio working on an album due later this year. “But it wasn’t normal insomnia and I wasn’t lying awake counting sheep. I was working and working and working … I was irritable and in constant fear of letting people down. It turns out that I was experiencing a form of mania. Eventually I would just hit a wall. I guess my depressive episodes were characterized by having very low energy. I would feel so lonely and sad — even guilty that I wasn’t doing what I needed to be doing for my career.”

protrait.jpg?w=450&w=800&q=85

I think that it‘s cool that she really doesn’t care enough to hide that anymore, mental health is serious

I'm glad she's shining light on this :heart2:

I wonder if her extra diva behaviour in public is still an act like we thought? Or could bi-polar be involved in such behaviour? 

I mean I'm not shocked. It explains her behaviour. Hopefully she has the disorder under control now and can live a healthy normal life.

Explains her extreme weight swings too.

I’m so happy she’s in a place where she can talk about it. All those years of her life where she functioned on next to no sleep never made sense to me so I’m glad she’s finally healing.

So proud of you Mimi :heart2: 

Oh wow. I'm so happy so got help.

Oh wow I would have never thought.. this explains so much 

4 minutes ago, Jump said:

I wonder if her extra diva behaviour in public is still an act like we thought? Or could bi-polar be involved in such behaviour? 

It could absolutely. 

I'm so proud of her :heart2:

Very brave of her, love her :heart2: 

:heart2: Proud of her