Katy has the perfect voice for rock. Why isn't she using it?

39 posts in this topic

Katy's debut era has a lot of gems, especially the rock-tinged magnum opuses that are Thinking of You, Lost, If You Can't Afford Me, and Waking Up in Vegas. Her voice sounds so good with that kind of genre and production. I don't care if rock isn't on GP's radar now, but she needs to really go back to that.

Should she do more pop rock in the future and get the universal acclaim that she deserves? 

I totally agree and it’s why her debut album is probably her best album. Really amazing and emotional vocals and it really works with all the guitars

Pop-Rock Katy is so, so much better than her later stuff. OOTB is by far her best album. Some of the leaked unreleased songs from her album with The Matrix are maybe even better. Those type of songs suit her way better. She still had some kind of edge, personality and uniqueness back then, which I can‘t really find while listening to Witness anymore. I wish she‘d go back to that route.

Ugh tea. 

She and her label probably saw the success of Hot N Cold and ran with it for TD. Thank god hey did. 

Hoping her new album is very Alanis inspired. It’d scalp. 

Thinking of You is the best song of her career. Don't @ me.

because rock is dead, but her and Avril should collab and bring back rock music

rock is dead and her label is worried she'd flop. she should go in a more rock direction though.

She's stuck in the pop genre and her voice isnt meant for it. Thats why OOTB will always probably be her best

Pop Rock Katy was THAT btch

I sometimes wish she would've explored the electro-rock sound of IKAG more.

2 hours ago, Fayik said:

I totally agree and it’s why her debut album is probably her best album. Really amazing and emotional vocals and it really works with all the guitars

I agree wholeheartedly. I shade Katy all the time, but her voice is golden with pop rock. 

Demi too

2 hours ago, TomTom2288 said:

Pop-Rock Katy is so, so much better than her later stuff. OOTB is by far her best album. Some of the leaked unreleased songs from her album with The Matrix are maybe even better. Those type of songs suit her way better. She still had some kind of edge, personality and uniqueness back then, which I can‘t really find while listening to Witness anymore. I wish she‘d go back to that route.

I love your taste :jonny:

I literally love The Matrix album from start to finish omg 

i still prefer Teenage Dream album:gaycat5:

1 hour ago, CBXC said:

Well I'm gonna @ you because I agree.

+ Circle The Drain is THAT song

Because Rock is dead and no one wants to make it.

it even fit her quirky personality.

I wouldn’t say her voice is perfect for anything. But her personality showed up the most on One Of The Boys. Her first two albums are the only ones I like. She’s been going downhill for the bulk of her career and that’s just not good 

I've always thought she would slay with a Blink 182'ish sound.

Can you imagine her "All The Small Things" :jonny5:

Yeah it would be great. Though it wouldn’t be successful 

Agreed. Her pop music has painfully bland. When she does pop-rock you can hear her personality and it fits her persona better.

2 hours ago, CBXC said:

Yes. :cm:

OOTB is her worst album, least acclaimed and has the worst vocals and some of her worst written songs.

I have no idea why ATRL non-stans like to pretend that they use old Katy when they would be the first to drag her through the pits of hell if she served that in 2018. :skull:

2 minutes ago, Aurora said:

OOTB is her worst album, least acclaimed and has the worst vocals and some of her worst written songs.

I have no idea why ATRL non-stans like to pretend that they use old Katy when they would be the first to drag her through the pits of hell if she served that in 2018. :skull:

If she serves anything like Sign of the Times/Harry Styles she would be praised to the heavens for her reinvention

1 minute ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

If she serves anything like Sign of the Times/Harry Styles she would be praised to the heavens for her reinvention

:deadbanana4:

SOTT/Harry Styles wasn't even acclaimed coming from him and the industry/media had been sucking his dick since before 1D even disbanded. Katy could have released any acclaimed album verbatim and it wouldn't have been praised just because it's Katy. Critics see the name "Katy Perry" and go in with a sour attitude and a negative mindset.

In my opinion, PRISM is a better album than any "acclaimed" album from the last 4-5 years anyway. Everyone likes different things. I wouldn't trade personal enjoyment for the media to gas up some mediocre faux rock record or to brag about finally having an album that doesn't scrape green or lower on Metacritic or for Katy to finally win a shiny hunk of metal handed out by the same old white men out of touch with today's music industry that snubbed her for the best part of a decade. None of that matters to me if the music is not enjoyable to me. Witness is enjoyable to me.

People who want OOTB Katy back are waiting on something that'll never come, thankfully.

29 minutes ago, Aurora said:

They wish that the clock can be turned back to before 2009 and that she would follow the fate of the other pop rock girls. Fans of some pop rock girls are still bitter that Katy transcended her rock pop peers. They hoped that adopting Gaga fan cards would beat Katy. When August 2013 happened, they went for Taylor fan cards and I can see them looking for a replacement in 2 years. Only problem, more and more new generation girls are Kats, grew up with Katy as their idol,... the amount of non-team-Katy girls are dwindling.