US Airplay Discussion

Kworb

Even if you truly believe the call-out scores are the Bible, consider what they’re actually saying...that on average one fewer person out of ten likes LWYMMD than any of her biggest hits. Not exactly grounds to claim everyone hates the song. All of these songs are liked by most people...that’s why they’re being played everywhere.

Edited by RobynYoBank

• Replies 37.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• FAN

• Starkboy

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ATRL's WP Magnet said:

Doesnt change the fact also that there's a song with a familiarity between 60% and 80% range :laugh:

Yeah, keep repeating that but like I said before, #1 is what matter the most :laugh:

1 minute ago, Fruity said:

This table in particular maybe isn't that powerful or influential, they probably all conduct their own research... but obviously we don't have access to that, so this is a general indicator of a song's reception. It's still useful data

I agree it's an interesting indicator but unless a song is really hated (more negative than positive) there's really no reason for radio to drop it. It just tells you that some songs are a little more polarizing than others. But you don't need callout scores to figure that out.

Just now, DELE2125 said:

"Mi Gente" has a familiarity of 74.5% so, it ranks between 60% and 80%.

Coklek92

That makes it even weirder that there is only one song below 80%. It calls the reliability of the whole table into question.

1 minute ago, Fruity said:

Lmao this is embarrassing, Kworb's word is not final on everything.

All due respect to him but just because he has the programming/technology skills to rip the data from other websites daily and post it on his own website for easy accessibility, that doesn't mean his understanding of the data itself is somehow superior to everyone else who has followed the chart for years :rip: 

Well it's also my job and I do have a master's degree in econometrics. But everyone's allowed their opinion, I'm just giving mine

QueenofCopyPaste
Just now, Coklek92 said:

Yeah, keep repeating that but like I said before, #1 is what matter the most :laugh:

Its obvious so no need.

Just now, RobynYoBank said:

Even if you believe the call-out scores are the Bible, consider what they’re actually saying...that on average one fewer person out of ten likes LWYMMD than any of her biggest hits. Not exactly grounds to claim “everyone hates the song”.

The song has also departed US Spotify's top 30, and collected over 1M dislikes on Youtube just little after a month of its debut. It all goes along with the unveiled call-out scores today.

The reception isn't good either in HAC call-out scores, hence those formats dropping the single for over a week now.

Df4zdY0.gif

2 minutes ago, Fruity said:

Well there is because it's kinda cringe to call someone "king" and expect nobody to disagree with them.

Which is exactly what you did. :rip: 

Nobody cares that Taylor will get a #1 on pop, she's the biggest popstar at the moment so it's kinda expected.

What is being discussed is how it's getting there.

Maybe you should just leave and return to the Taylor Swift base hun.

Like you all said before, this thread is open for everyone. There's nothing wrong at all celebrating our faves getting #1. We've been doing this for years :laugh:

It's kinda rude tho asking someone to leave this thread :doc:

17 minutes ago, Coklek92 said:

I literally forgot about him at all. What about Zayn? I'm not sure Pillowtalk hit #1. IDWLF get blocked by SOY :dies:

Pillowtalk got 2 weeks

Louis definitely has the weakest voice and smallest fan base. No shade intended 

1 minute ago, Kworb said:

I agree it's an interesting indicator but unless a song is really hated (more negative than positive) there's really no reason for radio to drop it. It just tells you that some songs are a little more polarizing than others. But you don't need callout scores to figure that out.

I don't agree at all... the threshold for what is an "acceptable" net favourability score for a particular station could be anywhere.

1 minute ago, Kworb said:

Well it's also my job and I do have a master's degree in econometrics. But everyone's allowed their opinion, I'm just giving mine

I know, I wasn't discrediting your opinion at all! I'm just commenting that people are perfectly valid in disagreeing. Lots of people who follow charts have degrees or a strong education in statistics.

1 hour ago, Timber said:

It just came out today, and it is lowest on the list by a significnt amount. :rip:

Also it debuted with 88% familiarity, a song only needs 60% to chart. That is extremely odd. Even you can admit that smells fishy, right?

Wasn't the whole point of these people's arguments that Taylor was hiding the callouts scores because they were bad? So based on their logic, wouldn't she still keep hiding them, and not have them published when she is at the bottom of the list?

The mental gymnastics some of the people in this thread are going through...

This whole thread has devolved into people throwing hands about Taylor, it's so tired.

Df4zdY0.gif

Edited by Headlock

Just now, PurrKaty said:

Pillowtalk got 2 weeks

Louis definitely has the weakest voice and smallest fan base. No shade intended 

I thought it failed to hit #1 tho. :rip:

And mess at IDWLF get blocked at #2 :deadbanana3:

Just now, Headlock said:

Wasn't the whole point of these people's arguments that Taylor was hiding the callouts scores because they were bad? So based on their logic, wouldn't she still keep hiding them, and not have them published when she is at the bottom of the list?

The mental gymnastics some of the people in this thread are going through...

The whole thread has devolved into people throwing hands about Taylor, it's so tired.

Df4zdY0.gif

Well, she's hitting #1 on Pop tomorrow anyways, and will conveniently fall fast next week, very much in synchronization with the call-out scores published just today. So, basically what I said yesterday, but some were fast in discrediting me.

Df4zdY0.gif

SilencePlease

Can Taylor release her next single though?

We've already reached a consensus regarding LWYMMD/RFI, this topic is indeed tired.

zCEk5sz.gif

13 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

The song has also departed US Spotify's top 30, and collected over 1M dislikes on Youtube just little after a month of its debut. It all goes along with the unveiled call-out scores today.

The reception isn't good either in HAC call-out scores, hence those formats dropping the single for over a week now.

Df4zdY0.gif

No one was ever debating the fact that LWYMMD is more polarizing than her recent singles: that much was always obvious. All I've argued is that its pop run is not that strange and, if call-out scores are reliable, then most radio listeners do in fact like the song.

Edited by RobynYoBank

I don't think this thread has ever been this much alive since the creation of NewTRL.

Taylor turning this week's radio data into a damn soap opera.

s2oolGI.gif

4 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

Well, she's hitting #1 on Pop tomorrow anyways, and will conveniently fall fast next week, very much in synchronization with the call-out scores published just today. So, basically what I said yesterday, but some were fast in discrediting me.

Df4zdY0.gif

WHY do you think Taylor/her team care about people's opinions on LWYMMD's callouts scores? NOBODY cares, outside of radio people and chart watchers, which makes up a negligible percentage of the population of people who even follows music in any way at all, let alone the entire GP. Like literally I do not understand at all your obsession with this

Df4zdY0.gif

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

WHY do you think Taylor/her team care about people's opinions on LWYMMD's callouts scores? NOBODY cares, outside of radio people and chart watchers, which makes up a negligible percentage of the population of people who even follows music in any way at all, let alone the entire GP. Like literally I do not understand at all your obsession with this

Df4zdY0.gif

It's just a useful information very relevant for Radio Formats, otherwise, no one would spend time and money doing and compiling them week after week. So, it is pertinent to discuss it at the AIRPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD, so I don't understand what is your complaint with this matter. Call-out scores have always been posted and discussed here, sometimes more often than others. It's as if you said "Who cares about Tidal streams? The GP doesn't use that platform, nor cares about how many streams it generates", but if some artist was taking advantage or somehow manipulating Tidal streams to stay high in the BB200, for example, I'm sure you would have a problem with that and even call it out, so the situation is not that foreign when talking about a different metric, which in this case is Radio.

Df4zdY0.gif

SilencePlease
15 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Df4zdY0.gif

Wouldn't a non-payola'd radio station stop playing a song based on terrible callout scores?

I guess smaller stations can be easily influenced by the bigger (payola'd) ones so it'd make a lot of sense to keep those data private.

Edited by SilencePlease

35 minutes ago, Coklek92 said:

I thought it failed to hit #1 tho. :rip:

And mess at IDWLF get blocked at #2 :deadbanana3:

I thought IDWLF topped it too before I check :rip: lol

So Zayn, Liam, and Nial all have 1 #1 on Pop.

And Nial has a #1 on the Adult Pop (HAC) format with Slow Hands 

26 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

It's just a useful information very relevant for Radio Formats, otherwise, no one would spend time and money doing and compiling them week after week. So, it is pertinent to discuss it at the AIRPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD, so I don't understand what is your complaint with this matter. Call-out scores have always been posted and discussed here, sometimes more often than others. It's as if you said "Who cares about Tidal streams? The GP doesn't use that platform, nor cares about how many streams it generates", but if some artist was taking advantage or somehow manipulating Tidal streams to stay high in the BB200, for example, I'm sure you would have a problem with that and even call it out, so the situation is not that foreign when talking about a different metric, which in this case is Radio.

Df4zdY0.gif

I do not understand why you don't STILL don't understand my point, oh my god. Your WHOLE argument is based on the fact that Taylor/her team is hiding her callout scores until a certain point, for whatever reason, and my point is, WHY? Why would they do that, when the whole entire reason callouts scores exist is to be a helpful guideline to help radio programmers see how songs are being received by the public. Radio programmers could find out how LWYMMD was being received no matter if LWYMMD was on the national Pop callouts scores or not, and apart from that, callout scores aren't some strict list that radio people have to follow. They're one component on how radio programmers can decide what songs to play. So the next group of people that you focus on is chart watchers, this thread, etc. Which beings me right back to the point, WHY? Why would Taylor Swift, one of the biggest artists in the world, hide this random set of data, so that you, DELE2125, member of ATRL, and everyone else pressed about Taylor, could not see them? Do you honestly think Taylor cares how people feel about her song's callout scores

And using Tidal as an analogy makes no sense. You're talking about an artist or a whole platform adding streams to boost their performance on a whole chart, something that has a literal, direct, tangible effect in the Billboard charts. Callout scores aren't a component of the Billboard charts. Radio programmers use them as a guideline, one of many they use, and just because a song scores low on them, doesn't mean radio people have to or will stop spinning a song, just like if a song scores well doesn't mean radio people have to or will start spinning a song.

Df4zdY0.gif

Edited by Headlock

14 minutes ago, SilencePlease said:

Wouldn't a non-payola'd radio station stop playing a song based on terrible callout scores?

I guess smaller stations can be easily influenced by the bigger (payola'd) ones so it'd make a lot of sense to keep those data private.

Lmao, no. Callout scores aren't a rulebook for what songs get played on radio. They are just one component that helps radio programmers see how the public responds to songs.

Also local callouts exist, although I don't know that much about them tbh.

It's not like smaller stations would be left in the dark on what to play if national callouts scores stopped being published :toofunny2:

Df4zdY0.gif

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

I do not understand why you don't STILL don't understand my point, oh my god. Your WHOLE argument is based on the fact that Taylor/her team is hiding her callout scores until a certain point, for whatever reason, and my point is, WHY? Why would they do that, when the whole entire reason callouts scores exist is a helpful guideline to help radio programmers see how songs are being received by the public. Radio programmers could find out how LWYMMD was being received no matter if LWYMMD was on the national Pop callouts scores or not, and apart from that, callout scores aren't some strict list that radio people have to follow. They're one component on how radio programmers can decide what songs to play. So the next group of people that you focus on is chart watchers, this thread, etc. Which beings me right back to the point, WHY? Why would Taylor Swift, one of the biggest artists in the world, hide this random set of data, so that you, DELE2125, member of ATRL, and everyone else pressed about Taylor, could not see them. Do you honestly think Taylor cares how people feel about her song's callout scores? 

And using Tidal as an analogy makes no sense. You're talking about an artist or a whole platform adding streams to boost their performance on a whole chart, something that has a literal, direct, tangible effect in the Billboard charts. Callout scores aren't a component of the Billboard charts. Radio programmers use them as a guideline, one of many they use, and just because a song scores low on them, doesn't mean radio people have to or will stop spinning a song, just like if a song scores well doesn't mean radio people have to or will start spinning a song.

Df4zdY0.gif

Why would they reveal the scores knowing they want the song to go #1 on Pop Radio and as high as possible on Overall Radio? She has a reputation (no pun intended) to maintain, mostly in her own home country, because in the rest of the markets, Radios have dropped the song long ago. Keeping the call-out scores visible since a few weeks back would've made the HUGE increases on Pop Radio much more suspicious, but now that they managed to achieve their goal and the song is already #1 on Pop, they have the perfect excuse to cover up the steep decline that's about to come for the song next week i.e. "Hey, the song is falling this hard, because Pop Radio finally has the scores (sum up with the poor longevity in streaming platforms and sales) which happen to be fairly negative, so it is more than logical to drop the song now", I mean, it's a very calculated (tho, really predictable) move if you ask me.

And yes, Call-outs serve as a guideline to Radio Formats to what listeners might or might not like. And pretty much MOST of the time, songs that perform terrible in the call-out don't get to where LWYMMD is now, so it makes it all even more strange, and before you pull the "Feel It Still" card, that song is still scoring less familiarity ratio than "Look" and therefore can still improve its scores compare to the former. Moreover, "Feel It Still" doesn't have the lowest Potential Score after all either.

Df4zdY0.gif

32 minutes ago, DELE2125 said:

Why would they reveal the scores knowing they want the song to go #1 on Pop Radio and as high as possible on Overall Radio? She has a reputation (no pun intended) to maintain, mostly in her own home country, because in the rest of the markets, Radios have dropped the song long ago. Keeping the call-out scores visible since a few weeks back would've made the HUGE increases on Pop Radio much more suspicious, but now that they managed to achieve their goal and the song is already #1 on Pop, they have the perfect excuse to cover up the steep decline that's about to come for the song next week i.e. "Hey, the song is falling this hard, because Pop Radio finally has the scores (sum up with the poor longevity in streaming platforms and sales) which happen to be fairly negative, so it is more than logical to drop the song now", I mean, it's a very calculated (tho, really predictable) move if you ask me.

And yes, Call-outs serve as a guideline to Radio Formats to what listeners might or might not like. And pretty much MOST of the time, songs that perform terrible in the call-out don't get to where LWYMMD is now, so it makes it all even more strange, and before you pull the "Feel It Still" card, that song is still scoring less familiarity ratio than "Look" and therefore can still improve its scores compare to the former. Moreover, "Feel It Still" doesn't have the lowest Potential Score after all either.

Df4zdY0.gif

Honestly it's getting tiring having to repeat myself, WHO would it be suspicious to? To chart watchers, specifically chart watchers who follow radio, and even more specifically, chart watchers who follow radio and know what callout scores are and how to interpret them. This is an incredibly small amount of the population of people who even follows music in the first place. Taylor has a million things going on, she's in the beginning stages of a new era, she's about to release an album, she's shooting music videos, she's doing Secret Sessions, she's launching an app, just to name a few things, and you honestly think that she would care, AT ALL, about callout scores. And not only even that she would care, but that she would care SO MUCH, that she would deliberately somehow HIDE those call out scores, for ONE specific radio format, for a certain amount of time, so that a small percentage of the population wouldn't find the performance of LWYMMD on radio "suspicious", only for her to ~*reveal*~ them, and have them be bad anyways. How do you not see how ridiculous that sounds? It makes absolutely no sense, Taylor gains absolutely NOTHING from doing everything that you are saying she is doing.

And you just said it yourself, most of the time songs that have bad callout scores don't perform like LWYMMD, keyword being "most". Which means there are other songs that have had a situation with callout scores vs. radio performance similar to LWYMMD. Everyone in this thread is acting like they've seen a unicorn or something. So we're right back to, why do you care so much about this one specific instance?

And not "Feel It Still" having a ~*card*~ now lmao

Df4zdY0.gif

Edited by Headlock

11 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Honestly it's getting tiring having to repeat myself, WHO would it be suspicious to? To chart watchers, specifically chart watchers who follow radio, and even more specifically, chart watchers who follow radio and know what callout scores are and how to interpret them. This is an incredibly small amount of the population of people who even follows music in the first place. Taylor has a million things going on, she's in the beginning stages of a new era, she's about to release an album, she's shooting music videos, she's doing Secret Sessions, she's launching an app, just to name a few things, and you honestly think that she would care, AT ALL, about callout scores. And not only even that she would care, but that she would care SO MUCH, that she would deliberately somehow HIDE those call out scores, for ONE specific radio format, for a certain amount of time, so that a small percentage of the population wouldn't find the performance of LWYMMD on radio "suspicious", only for her to ~*reveal*~ them, and have them be bad anyways. How do you not see how ridiculous that sounds? It makes absolutely no sense, Taylor gains absolutely NOTHING from doing everything that you are saying she is doing.

And you just said it yourself, most of the time songs that have bad callout scores don't perform like LWYMMD, keyword being "most". Which means there are other songs that have had a situation with callout scores vs. radio performance similar to LWYMMD. Everyone in this thread is acting like they've seen a unicorn or something. So we're right back to, why do you care so much about this one specific instance?

And not "Feel It Still" having a ~*card*~ now lmao

Df4zdY0.gif

Well and why don't I have the right to discuss a radio performance that I find suspicious? And again, just because little people care or know about this stuff doesn't neglect the fact that manipulation can still happen. As you said, she's starting off her new era, the last thing she would like to have is her song not being supported by her biggest format: Pop Radio. Again, all artists care about charts, and how their song is perceived, so I pretty much think Swift cares about it. And when I said MOST of the times it happens, is because those particular songs are performing EXTREMELY well in other metrics, as happened with "Hotline Blings" back in 2015, it was doing terrible in call-out scores, but Pop Radio was still pushing it because it was smashing in streaming and sales, but that's not the case with "Look" right now. The song is no longer top 30 on Spotify and is out of the top 5 in her strongest metric which is sales, so, again, the Pop Radio support is not really coherent.

Df4zdY0.gif

This person trying to act like an expert.... if you really had an idea of what you are talking about you would know how many times callout scores are not relevant for radio airplay at the end, they serve as guideline to radio stations, but at the end they play what they want. 

Also as i said before if these callout scores are so easily  manipulable why do you give them so much importance :ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.