US Airplay Discussion

Kworb

butterflysupreme
Just now, Justinintime said:

Her music being "horrific" is subjective. Her age, however, is not. 

It's not "subjective" if the majority of people hate it and don't want it even if she keeps promoting it. Age is not a factor here considering how big she is.

• Replies 37.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• FAN

• Starkboy

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always said that "ageism" on pop radio has more to do with musical relevance to the younger generation of radio listeners than anything else. Because someone like Sia can always come through and get smashes, and that's because she's newer to the scene. At the same time, people like Pink usually do well and even JLo got a random smash with "On the Floor." At the same time, younger listeners will want to hear new music by people they personally invested in or at least watched grow famous. They are not going to have the same affinity for a popstar who was not only established but on their way to respected/icon status by the time they started listening to the radio.

So really, I think it's about circumventing that relevance gap and feeling hip/new to them more than anything. Katy has failed completely at that and her music isn't as good, so I don't blame ageism alone for her current pop radio status.

Edited by Chemical X.

I hope that "Believer" is not peaking.

butterflysupreme
5 minutes ago, DangerousSwiftie said:

You always treat your opinions as facts... People can't dislike the song if they aren't even hearing it on the radio, and just because you dislike something doesn't mean everyone else will. :doc:

Honey, it's on Spotify's biggest playlist and on every streaming device + it's been promoted a lot. That, plus the power of Katy's name should be enough. If the song isn't a hit it's because it doesn't sound like one.

Where's the ****ing update :mad:

8 hours ago, Chemical X. said:

I have always said that "ageism" on pop radio has more to do with musical relevance to the younger generation of radio listeners than anything else. Because someone like Sia can always come through and get smashes, and that's because she's newer to the scene. At the same time, people like Pink usually do well and even JLo got a random smash with "On the Floor." At the same time, younger listeners will want to hear new music by people they personally invested in or at least watched grow famous. They are not going to have the same affinity for a popstar who was not only established but on their way to respected/icon status by the time they started listening to the radio.

So really, I think it's about circumventing that relevance gap and feeling hip/new to them more than anything. Katy has failed completely at that and her music isn't as good, so I don't blame ageism alone for her current pop radio status.

I completely agree. I think the "ageism" we witness on pop radio is a matter of correlation, not necessarily causation. 

i heard reminder on my local rhythmic station. is it going to be serviced to pop? 

9 hours ago, Chemical X. said:

sig worthy!

Update?

butterflysupreme
21 hours ago, Chemical X. said:

Flawless post.

Pop Radio :
31. (-1) Cheat Codes - No Promises ft Demi Lovato 
- Spins : 2018 (+80)
-Audience : 8.761 (+0.743)

:jonny: 

Despacito looking likely to block Im The One in radio.

^^^

Good

And VOTF is coming y'all. Release to radio in two weeks. Though I'm sure this week or next week it will start picking up on spins now that TWIL is finally falling! I never would have guessed TWIL would have been as big as it was :jonny: 

To think VOTF has even more crossover appeal is rather scary to me.

is there any early gains for VOTF yet?

Reminder seems like it's going to be another Rhythmic and Urban hit but any news on a pop single? I know he filmed videos for Secrets and Rockin so i'm not sure what Republic is waiting for  :confused:

Katy's music simply isn't as good as it was. People like to blame ageism, but I'd blame the music more than anything. Fergie, Katy, etc. all released much worse music as they aged compared to when they were younger. That combined with being older and having the younger generation not know you as well add to the effect. Katy could smash if she released good songs. I don't think CTTR, BA, or SS sound like smash hits. She needs to stop relying on popular producers and find a good sound that fits her.

8 hours ago, Kkamjong said:

Katy's music simply isn't as good as it was. People like to blame ageism, but I'd blame the music more than anything. Fergie, Katy, etc. all released much worse music as they aged compared to when they were younger. That combined with being older and having the younger generation not know you as well add to the effect. Katy could smash if she released good songs. I don't think CTTR, BA, or SS sound like smash hits. She needs to stop relying on popular producers and find a good sound that fits her.

I don't get this criticism from people. Katy's sound has always been fun, made-for-radio pop music and there isn't even a drastic change in her new stuff. It's worked for her all these years until now - which I think is a result of people just not being as interested in her this year.

Swish Swish is a bad song, but the two previous singles are pretty good for Katy's standards in my opinion. 

It also doesn't help that there's a random media hate-bandwagon against her. 

36 minutes ago, tittieslap said:

I don't get this criticism from people. Katy's sound has always been fun, made-for-radio pop music and there isn't even a drastic change in her new stuff. It's worked for her all these years until now - which I think is a result of people just not being as interested in her this year.

Swish Swish is a bad song, but the two previous singles are pretty good for Katy's standards in my opinion. 

It also doesn't help that there's a random media hate-bandwagon against her. 

CTTR is catchy but boring. Hence it was a decent hit.

BA has the worst verses I've heard in a pop song in years. They are legitimately awful with her awkward whispering vocals. The chorus being catchy can't save it. 

SS isn't bad but it's not impactful either. 

Just compare CTTR-BA-SS with her previous first 3 singles. There is obvious a huge decline in catchiness and quality. Even excluding BA

Californja Gurls + Firework and then Roar + Dark Horse are infinitely better than CTTR and SS. She needs to either go back to anthemic choruses or keep looking for a sound until she finds one because this era has not been the tea. No radio wants to play bad music that's not even being streamed

4 hours ago, Kkamjong said:

Just compare CTTR-BA-SS with her previous first 3 singles. There is obvious a huge decline in catchiness and quality. Even excluding BA

Californja Gurls + Firework and then Roar + Dark Horse are infinitely better than CTTR and SS. She needs to either go back to anthemic choruses or keep looking for a sound until she finds one because this era has not been the tea. No radio wants to play bad music that's not even being streamed

I infinitely prefer the current singles over Roar, Uncle or Firework.

Y'all using your opinions as facts...

The GP was always her fandom which she alienated with #I'mWithHer and aging, those 12 years old are gonna want to support someone closer to their age, sth @Chemical X. wrote...

Also that's only my opinion and I could be wrong :foxaylove3:

Also, why's no one posting the full update

On 5/29/2017 at 1:21 AM, J-boy said:

and I don't mean this^

1 hour ago, Frozen99 said:

I infinitely prefer the current singles over Roar, Uncle or Firework.

Y'all using your opinions as facts...

The GP was always her fandom which she alienated with #I'mWithHer and aging, those 12 years old are gonna want to support someone closer to their age, sth @Chemical X. wrote...

Also that's only my opinion and I could be wrong :foxaylove3:

Also, why's no one posting the full update

and I don't mean this^

Well since Mediabase #s arent being posted, that's the closest one available :foxaylove3:

KYGO X SELENA GOMEZ - It Ain't Me: 140.083 (+ 0.296)

DJ KHALED - I'm The One f/Bieber/Quavo…: 107.039 (+ 2.450)

LUIS FONSI & DADDY YANKEE - Despacito f/Justin Bieber: 89.626 (+ 3.598)

ED SHEERAN - Castle On The Hill: 79.820 (+ 0.951)

HARRY STYLES - Sign Of The Times: 55.508 (+ 1.262)

SHAWN MENDES - There's Nothing Holdin' Me...: 52.107 (+ 1.062)

LADY GAGA - The Cure: 28.566 (+ 0.407)

CHARLIE PUTH - Attention: 28.207 (+ 0.604)

MILEY CYRUS - Malibu: 26.615 (+ 1.298)

NIALL HORAN - Slow Hands: 25.538 (+ 0.755)

SELENA GOMEZ - Bad Liar: 24.044 (+ 1.127)

CAMILA CABELLO - Crying In The Club: 15.402 (+ 0.226)

LIAM PAYNE - Strip That Down f/Quavo: 10.656 (+ 0.592)

KATY PERRY - Swish Swish f/Nicki Minaj: 7.031 (+ 0.150)

IGGY AZALEA - Switch f/Anitta: 0.977 (- 0.068)

NICK JONAS - Remember I Told You: 0.077 (+ 0.030)

52 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

CHARLIE PUTH - Attention: 28.207 (+ 0.604)

MILEY CYRUS - Malibu: 26.615 (+ 1.298)

NIALL HORAN - Slow Hands: 25.538 (+ 0.755)

SELENA GOMEZ - Bad Liar: 24.044 (+ 1.127)

LIAM PAYNE - Strip That Down f/Quavo: 10.656 (+ 0.592)

Yas at these, rise up :clap3: 

52 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

CAMILA CABELLO - Crying In The Club: 15.402 (+ 0.226)

KATY PERRY - Swish Swish f/Nicki Minaj: 7.031 (+ 0.150)

IGGY AZALEA - Switch f/Anitta: 0.977 (- 0.068)

NICK JONAS - Remember I Told You: 0.077 (+ 0.030)

Mess at these though :doc:

Especially SS :doc: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.